Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2015, 10:42 AM

89,004 posts, read 44,804,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
So the argument is that the rich deserve to be richer
Read The Millionaire Next Door. Understand the life and financial decisions those millionaires have made to amass their wealth. Note that 80% of them are first-generation wealthy. Anyone can do it. Whining about not having enough to live on is almost always a consequence of one's own bad decisions/actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Absolutely! If workers are being more efficient and still working a 40 hour week, profits to the company are that much more. Why should it all go to the top?
It doesn't. Only ignorant people believe that. 100 million or more American workers and retirees have $24 trillion worth of equity investments, etc., in their pension/retirement accounts.

Retirement Question 4 | EBRI

Quote:
"This shift of business ownership from rich people to working people may be the greatest economic transformation since the Industrial Revolution.

...So what does all this mean? Well, for starters, it should lead to an end of complaints about the profits of corporations and allegations about 'greedy corporations.' After all, much of that profit now goes toward the current and future retirement incomes of working people."
Business Ownership & Labor Day

Everyone who contributes to or benefits from an IRA, 401K, pension fund (public employee, union, or private sector), mutual fund, annuity, or whole life insurance policy, etc., DEPENDS on corporate profits. Just so you understand, I'll reiterate... they DEPEND on corporate profits.

How anyone fails to connect the dots on how so very many Americans' retirement plans (pensions, IRAs/401Ks, annuities, etc.) absolutely depend on corporate profits is beyond me. Don't people have critical thinking skills anymore?

Old 06-05-2015, 11:59 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Read The Millionaire Next Door. Understand the life and financial decisions those millionaires have made to amass their wealth. Note that 80% of them are first-generation wealthy. Anyone can do it. Whining about not having enough to live on is almost always a consequence of one's own bad decisions/actions.
Being a millionaire sounds great...until you recognize that its not impressive at all. It doesn't even get you into the 1%, let alone real money of the .01%. I know, you think thats some amazing thing, "Oh look a million" Which just indicates how uninformed you are at the level of wealth inequality in our nation.

Plus....how much do you need to retire? Yeah.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Being a millionaire sounds great...until you recognize that its not impressive at all. It doesn't even get you into the 1%, let alone real money of the .01%.
Doesn't matter. Millionaires earn more than minimum wage. Why? Read the book. They make informed and wise life and financial decisions. 80% of U.S. millionaires are first-generation wealthy. If they can do it, so can anyone else willing to make informed and wise life and financial decisions.

Like I said... not having enough income to live on is almost always a consequence of one's own bad decisions/actions. Most people CHOOSE to be poor. Since that's their own choice, no one owes them anything more than they can acquire on their own.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:11 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,571 times
Quote:
Being a millionaire sounds great...until you recognize that its not impressive at all. It doesn't even get you into the 1%, let alone real money of the .01%. I know, you think thats some amazing thing, "Oh look a million" Which just indicates how uninformed you are at the level of wealth inequality in our nation.

Plus....how much do you need to retire? Yeah.
Umm... I think you worded this wrong, because whether or not it's "impressive" it's still great. If I had a million dollars, or made that in a year, every single on of my current goals related to money could be accomplished, that sounds pretty great to me.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:21 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,891 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter. Millionaires earn more than minimum wage. Why? Read the book. They make informed and wise life and financial decisions. 80% of U.S. millionaires are first-generation wealthy. If they can do it, so can anyone else willing to make informed and wise life and financial decisions.

Like I said... not having enough income to live on is almost always a consequence of one's own bad decisions/actions. Most people CHOOSE to be poor. Since that's their own choice, no one owes them anything more than they can acquire on their own.
Were 80% of them from wage-slave families, i.e. families earning less than a living wage? I think not. Saying "oh we don't need a minimum wage because these millionaires all came from families with merely hundreds of thousands of dollars" isn't terribly convincing. There are many families that physically and mathematically cannot save up money to improve their future position because they earn less than their present necessities. The crux of this thread topic is that it matters if you can't earn more than your daily needs, and it presents a very real poverty trap. That is a problem, and the statistics demonstrate that it exists.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Were 80% of them from wage-slave families, i.e. families earning less than a living wage? I think not.
80% of them came from families who were not wealthy. The NY Times published the first chapter. Read it:

https://www.nytimes.com/books/first/...llionaire.html

Again, I'll reiterate... 80% of U.S. millionaires are first-generation wealthy. If they can do it, so can anyone else willing to make informed and wise life and financial decisions.

Not having enough income to live on is almost always a consequence of one's own bad decisions/actions. Most people CHOOSE to be poor. Since that's their own choice, no one owes them anything more than they can acquire on their own.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
There are many families that physically and mathematically cannot save up money to improve their future position because they earn less than their present necessities.
They're living beyond their means. Not too hard to realize that. Much of what they have/spend their money on are wants, not needs. For example, the poor are far more likely to smoke tobacco products. That costs $$$ in unecessary spending.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:51 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,891 times
Quote:
80% of them came from families who were not wealthy. The NY Times published the first chapter. Read it:

https://www.nytimes.com/books/first/...llionaire.html

Again, I'll reiterate... 80% of U.S. millionaires are first-generation wealthy. If they can do it, so can anyone else willing to make informed and wise life and financial decisions.

Not having enough income to live on is almost always a consequence of one's own bad decisions/actions. Most people CHOOSE to be poor. Since that's their own choice, no one owes them anything more than they can acquire on their own.
What's provided doesn't define very finely what they mean by "not wealthy". However, since they make a point of saying less than half receive an inheritance, I assume that those 80% of non-wealthy were mostly making above a living wage. It's impossible to say for sure from this book since it doesn't provide any details.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
What's provided doesn't define very finely what they mean by "not wealthy".
It means "not rich." Furthermore, they don't have fancy job titles: "We are welding contractors, auctioneers, rice farmers, owners of mobile-home parks, pest controllers, coin and stamp dealers, and paving contractors."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies