Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 10:39 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,572,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Would anyone have been surprised if another "good guy with a gun" saw this AR-15 guy as a threat (because, you must admit, that's how he wanted to appear for his stunt to succeed) and took him on in a crowded airport? The consequences then would just be "collateral damage," right?
That would have made a better video on YouTube and got him more attention. I wouldn't have been surprised at all. If he did get blown away, he deserved it. No sympathy here.

The fact is, no one here or there actually knows why he did what he did. All that we have to go by is what he has said. For all we know, he may have had a plan to "go off" in the Airport, like the Clown in the Movie Theatre, and could have just changed his mind at the last minute. Think about it. He could still be a nut case, waiting to happen. We really don't know, do we?

Old 06-06-2015, 11:10 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
That would have made a better video on YouTube and got him more attention. I wouldn't have been surprised at all. If he did get blown away, he deserved it. No sympathy here.

The fact is, no one here or there actually knows why he did what he did. All that we have to go by is what he has said. For all we know, he may have had a plan to "go off" in the Airport, like the Clown in the Movie Theatre, and could have just changed his mind at the last minute. Think about it. He could still be a nut case, waiting to happen. We really don't know, do we?
Exactly. One never know's the state of mind of the person walking around with an AR15 in a very crowded, public space.
If it ever becomes a normal and accepted occurrence, then we are on a war footing and the enemy is at the gates.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:25 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Just because you can doesnt mean you should...
If I as a policeman was traveling and this yahoo was next to me and I took him down I wonder if I would be charged..probably
.open carry means being responsible and balanced ..this to me..isn't..
Now.. on an ATV cruising the border ..yes.. in an airport hell no
if they pass a law that says its okay to walk around w ur d*** hanging out, people will walk around w their d**** hanging out. you ask for it, you got it - why act surprised?

agree w pp. it will really suck when ten isis dudes walk in exercising their god given second amendment rights.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:59 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
I agree, but if that's the best you can do, I suppose that's acceptable.
Certainly not the best I can do, but I gave it all the attention it deserved.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:15 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
I think that if I had all the irrational fears mentioned I'd just stay under the bed 24/7.
You misunderstanding my point. You said that there's no reason to fear an inanimate object. However, I gave you many cases in which you, and any reasonable person, would have good reason to fear an inanimate object. If you are in the path of a tornado, you should fear an inanimate object. If you are sitting under a rickety crane holding a demolition ball, you should fear an inanimate object. Therefore, it is not the case that it is "extremely irrational for anybody to have a fear of any inanimate object!"

Old 06-07-2015, 11:05 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
How many shootings have their ever been in Hartsfield? Has there ever been a single one? A google search turns up nothing.
And there wasn't one when the man with the rifle showed up, either. Anti-gun hysteria is just that: hysteria, which reveals some people's prejudice against firearms and the people who carry them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Now, compare that to how many heart attacks have occurred at the airport. A quick google shows it happens periodically. No surprise there.

So why isn't this guy carrying a portable defibrillator? It would be a hell of a lot more likely to save a life than that rifle, either his or someone else's, and that's his supposed reason for carrying the weapon.
The right to carry an AED is enumerated in which Constitutional Amendment?

Firearms are carried in case it becomes necessary to increase the level of force necessary to neutralize a threat to innocent human life. Let's go with the above-quoted rhetoric. If a terrorist in the airport opened fire or revealed that he had a bomb on his person, how would Mr. Cooley have gone about using an AED to prevent the terrorist from killing thousands of innocent people?

Furthermore, it is unnecessary for members of the public to carry defibrillators in ATL, as they are provided by the City. From the airport's Medical Services webpage:
Quote:
"The City of Atlanta's Department of Aviation is committed to ensuring your safety and security. To support this goal, Hartsfield-Jackson has the largest airport AED (Automated External Defibrillators) program in the country. About 200 AED units are within the terminals, concourses and off-site locations. The defibrillators are, on average, a minute away from anyone who may need one."
If the City of Atlanta wishes to negate the motivation for carrying one's own firearm(s) in the airport, they should install small arms lockers next to the AEDs.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:12 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺B☺s View Post
it will really suck when ten isis dudes walk in exercising their god given second amendment rights.
ISIS doesn't exercise the right to keep and bear arms; they misuse firearms (and other types of weapons) to kill innocent humans.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:50 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,225,409 times
Then back to the point, there is no reasonable reason to fear a firearm any more than there is to fear a hammer! They don't operate by themselves. I have a few that I see daily and I swear they haven't moved at all from their resting place since I handled them last.

I think it's also unreasonable to fear a rifle slung over someone's shoulder. Believe me if that person doesn't willingly remove it from his shoulder and pull the trigger that weapon is harmless.

But again that's just me. I don't fear inanimate objects! I don't care if it's a grenade, a crane, a wrecking ball, or a firearm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
You misunderstanding my point. You said that there's no reason to fear an inanimate object. However, I gave you many cases in which you, and any reasonable person, would have good reason to fear an inanimate object. If you are in the path of a tornado, you should fear an inanimate object. If you are sitting under a rickety crane holding a demolition ball, you should fear an inanimate object. Therefore, it is not the case that it is "extremely irrational for anybody to have a fear of any inanimate object!"

Old 06-07-2015, 12:31 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
Then back to the point, there is no reasonable reason to fear a firearm any more than there is to fear a hammer! They don't operate by themselves. I have a few that I see daily and I swear they haven't moved at all from their resting place since I handled them last.

I think it's also unreasonable to fear a rifle slung over someone's shoulder. Believe me if that person doesn't willingly remove it from his shoulder and pull the trigger that weapon is harmless.

But again that's just me. I don't fear inanimate objects! I don't care if it's a grenade, a crane, a wrecking ball, or a firearm.
Are you seriously saying that if you are staring at a tornado coming toward you that you are not scared? That's nonsense.

As for the trite "It's not the gun, it's the person line," of course that's true. No one has ever disagreed with that. If a person is "afraid of a gun," they are afraid of what the person with the gun might do. That is so obvious it need not be said.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:38 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,225,409 times
Please stay away from construction sites! There are a lot of people wielding equipment that can injure or kill. Scary! And no, tornados don't scare me. Sorry. I've been in scary situations before, none of them concerning weather or inanimate objects.

Look, please be scared of whatever you want. And teach you're children to be scared! Have a great day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Are you seriously saying that if you are staring at a tornado coming toward you that you are not scared? That's nonsense.

As for the trite "It's not the gun, it's the person line," of course that's true. No one has ever disagreed with that. If a person is "afraid of a gun," they are afraid of what the person with the gun might do. That is so obvious it need not be said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies