Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 05:52 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,578,285 times

Advertisements

Pastor has invited all 2016 presidential hopefuls. Thus far, Rand Paul is the only one who showed.
According to the pastor, Rand Paul promised tax incentives for businesses to hire and school choice vouchers. The pastor is looking forward to hearing what the other candidates will do for black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 05:53 PM

33,507 posts, read 18,059,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
From my own personal experience, i have seen people give 10% tithes, but miss a mortgage/car payment or have their lights cut off. And then thank God and the church for paying those things the next month

I have seen pastors talk about people being unwilling to give right before the collection plate comes around and then leave the church that evening in a band new car going to a 6,000 square foot house; While the majority of their flock walk to work and church from 700 sq ft brick huts built in the 1940's.

I have seen those same churches publicly shame gay young men, cutting them off from the only family they know when they probably need them the most. The same happens to young girls who get pregnant and arent married(but not to the father of the child weirdly enough).

The Promise, that black churches gave, was hope. And they have delivered nothing.

* My belief that the church(religion) is corrupt is separate from my belief in God.
The pastor you talk about sounds like Obama's pastor. His congregation bought him a million dollar home in an all white neighborhood.

Michelle Malkin | » A tour of Jeremiah Wright’s new mansion

Old 06-04-2015, 05:59 PM

45,117 posts, read 26,284,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Pastor has invited all 2016 presidential hopefuls. Thus far, Rand Paul is the only one who showed.
According to the pastor, Rand Paul promised tax incentives for businesses to hire and school choice vouchers. The pastor is looking forward to hearing what the other candidates will do for black people.
Rand did what all politicians do: Made the promise of other peoples money in order to purchase votes.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:05 PM

15,068 posts, read 6,137,807 times
The pastor should leave politics out of religion. Jesus, as recorded in the Bible, states "...Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's."

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You fail yourself. Political parties aren't failing anyone as an individual and hasn't failed any black person determined to make it in America and live the dream.

I'm a black liberal Democrat and I've managed just fine. If I were a failure, it wouldn't have a damn thing to do with my political persuasion. Tens of millions of Americans are successful registered Democrats.

This pastor should tell the real truth, but he can't afford to:

The Black Church and the Christian faith have failed the black community miserably, and they should abandon BOTH as soon as possible.

That's the real truth. But he won't tell them that.
What is the black church?

Ummm...why should anyone abandon their Christianity? Didn't you just say you fail yourself?

Old 06-04-2015, 06:07 PM

29,462 posts, read 16,420,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
So this Black Pastor is right on the money. It is positively surreal that the majority of the impoverished black community does not collectively agree with the observations and loudly press the questions that this pastor offers in the article below:
The definition of insanity is doing the same things the same way and expecting different results. Can we all agree that this describes what the political mindset has been in this community now for at least 40 years?

As it stands right now, I challenge anyone to tell me what the Democrats are even proposing to do to that could even possibly result in the sort of radically positive change that is needed here. They are not even proposing to do anything that is substantial or potentially transformational about this situation. Rather, they are all about defending the status quo - keeping things the same - which they do routinely on these issues with great passion.

I would love to see Republicans make more of an effort to reach out to this community. However, we all know why they don't. It is because the people in this community are completely unreceptive and often times even hostile to the sort of pro-education (real learning and skills development, not just sitting in a failed school), self empowerment message that Republicans would bring.

But truth be told, the black people who have made it out of the ghetto and into the middle class have very largely made it out by following this very path.
Speaking specifically to the education part of your argument.

Black people have the highest drop out rates, and Part of both the 2009 stimulus act and Barack Obama's 2008 campaign plan was free GED's. Since you need a GED to even apply for most higher level jobs, it could be taken at face value that having the ability to get one for free would be much help to African Americans.

Same goes for College education, both Pell Grant reform and free 2 year college for all plan currently in place.

As for failing inner city schools, school choice is not the answer because school choice insinuates that you actually have the ability to attend that school when in reality, you dont. My high school didnt meet AYP(adequate yearly progress) my 8th grade year (meaning it was put on probation the start of my freshman year.), Had we not passed AYP that year, the state would have taken over the school and given parents the option to allow their students to attend the next closest high school in the district and a degree from my high school would have been worthless. Luckily, we passed, and that didnt happen , but lets assume it did.

the northern end of my High school's district is 69 miles north of the next closest school. Thats 138 mile round trip, and the school district isnt running buses that far. How do you expect people with no cars to get there kids to school ?

Why not simply fix the broken schools as many Democrats have proposed. In Maryland, New York and New Jeresey, those states started programs where the schools with lower scores mimicked those with higher ones and grades rose. Is that such a difficult concept ?

Old 06-04-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The pastor you talk about sounds like Obama's pastor. His congregation bought him a million dollar home in an all white neighborhood.

Michelle Malkin | » A tour of Jeremiah Wright’s new mansion
You posted that as if i have some ideological loyalty to Jeremiah Wright, clearly I dont.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by three wolves in snow View Post
jesus never promised anyone a paycheck for nothing. But, a great lesson, (from another religion): Give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime. you can't say, in one breath, that it's individual responsibility and then say, in the next breath, that it's the fault of the church.

i agree that it is individual, and i also think that having better role models for young people is a step in the right direction. Not everyone is going to be a sports star, so let's find some real, hard working role models for our youth so that they understand what hard work does for them.
Exactly. Those values can be found right there in the Bible, but the church can't force people to read and study for themselves...

Old 06-04-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
What is the black church?
Protestant churches are segregated for the most part, specifically Baptist(my former denomination), But the black churches, regardless of denomination are interconnected.

For example, each church picks one Sunday out of the month where their congregation travels to another church. This is called visitation(not to be confused with revival). for the churches that work it our right, the other 3 sundays of the month, they have a different church attend their own service. Now they also have other grouped activities together like Revival, Maypole,Hallelujah fest(that one might be local only).
the black church is more interconnected than many people no.

i actually dont have a problem with the that.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Protestant churches are segregated for the most part, specifically Baptist(my former denomination), But the black churches, regardless of denomination are interconnected.

For example, each church picks one Sunday out of the month where their congregation travels to another church. This is called visitation(not to be confused with revival). for the churches that work it our right, the other 3 sundays of the month, they have a different church attend their own service. Now they also have other grouped activities together like Revival, Maypole,Hallelujah fest(that one might be local only).
the black church is more interconnected than many people no.

i actually dont have a problem with the that.
What? Disagree with the bold.

How does this apply to Protestant churches that may predominantly of African descent that are Sabbath-keeping (7th day)? These groups are not "interconnected" with the others in my experience. Additionally, none of these things grouped activities apply, except that there are revivals. That is a Christian phenomenon in general.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:34 PM

56,990 posts, read 35,095,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Some people are spiritually bankrupt.
I am. I don't believe in spirits.
Quote:
From my own personal experience, i have seen people give 10% tithes, but miss a mortgage/car payment or have their lights cut off. And then thank God and the church for paying those things the next month

I have seen pastors talk about people being unwilling to give right before the collection plate comes around and then leave the church that evening in a band new car going to a 6,000 square foot house; While the majority of their flock walk to work and church from 700 sq ft brick huts built in the 1940's.

I have seen those same churches publicly shame gay young men, cutting them off from the only family they know when they probably need them the most. The same happens to young girls who get pregnant and arent married(but not to the father of the child weirdly enough).

The Promise, that black churches gave, was hope. And they have delivered nothing.

* My belief that the church(religion) is corrupt is separate from my belief in God.
The black church has been the number one bloodsucker of black community largesse...but of course, this pastor can't tell you that. His job is too keep our people under the church's boot.

Most of these pie in the sky black preachers should be ashamed of themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
No candidate or political party will ever do anything for blacks. It's up to us to do for ourselves.

I like the Democratic Party, but I don't expect them to do anything for blacks. Their philosophy is simply better than their opponent's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies