Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 09:20 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
If a black person prefers to be with their own kind, they are "keepin' it real". If a white person prefers to be with their own kind, they are "racist".
And no one talks about the Hispanics or Asians who also segregate.

This Black/White issue will come to a head one day and be over and done with when Hispanics are the majority in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 09:21 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
Nobody cares. There's nothing wrong with self segregation.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:24 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwatsonfan View Post
Why do a lot (notice I said a lot and not all or even most) of white people blame minorities (asians, blacks, etc.) for the self segregation that occurs in colleges, neighborhoods, etc. I notice a lot of friend groups that are all white and when asked why they have no real minority friends they'll say that these minorities self segregate to themselves and that these minorities don't bother trying to integrate/get to know white people. But these same white people don't actively try to get to know these minorities themselves either? Aren't these same white people self segregating to themselves too. I've noticed in my neighborhood which is mostly white, when a minority person moves in, they might say hi and the occasional polite talk, but don't get to know them or invite them to anything.

Same as in college. Everyone blames the minorities for self segregating to themselves.

Anytime I hear someone say "why do white people" I automatically judge them to be ignorant. White like who...........Irish, Italian, German, Polish? ......not sure why all white people are linked together when many times they associate by culture.

People associate in all sorts of ways that have nothing to do with race. Economic class, religion, career field, common languages, political affiliation....etc, its never as simple as "whites over there, blacks over there(which blacks?), Asians there(which Asians?), Hispanics there(which Hispanics?)

Old 06-05-2015, 09:27 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
It's just deflection on their part. Every thing is about race to so many of them. However, they don't see it because they are busy watching what others do.

Many times what they attribute to race is actually an issue of culture and/or religion.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:28 AM

469 posts, read 576,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Nobody cares. There's nothing wrong with self segregation.
I pretty much feel the same. I couldn't care less if people want to live around others like them (or people completely different from them for that matter). It's just not something that bothers me, nor do I even give it much thought. Some people seem obsessed with integration and diversity, I've never really understood why.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:38 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
I've been to many different countries in the world and have witnessed all types of discrimination. I have couple white friends who honestly told me, had they stayed in certain areas of the country, they could have been white supremacists. If you (a minority) can be able to put yourself in their shoes, you should be able to understand why they think the way they think

I have friends who are U.S. Marines came from extremely poor backgrounds, I have friends who are trust fund babies, I also know several doctors, lawyers, investment bankers. I know several local white politicians. We have talked about race all the time. I think the issue is more complicated than the simple black vs white yellow vs black brown vs white white vs everybody else.

This one friend of mine believes "white pride", he said true white pride has nothing to do with white power and KKK. He said it is insanely crazy to treat others like criminals simply because of the color of their skin. Many of these poor white people have nothing accomplished, yet they embrace white power, it is almost like stolen valor. He believes Politics from a White Christian perspective - the way our country was meant to be. I don't know if I can agree with him 100%, but I seriously get what he is saying.

It's about time European-Americans assert their civil rights and protect their culture and interests. It's a culture that has brought the world science, technology, medicine, computers, the internet, mass literacy , electricity, and personal freedom.

This is not to be confused with Neo-Nazi types or David Duke or the Klu Klux Klan. Their agenda of racial hatred and insane paranoia about Jews far over shadows any concern they have for white people.

European-American culture is not about race but values.

I don't think you need to put all white in one giant category. The people who blame minorities for whatever the reasons are nothing but people with backward bully mentality. The bullies are often miserable folks who live very isolated lives.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:39 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
It's just deflection on their part. Every thing is about race to so many of them. However, they don't see it because they are busy watching what others do.

Many times what they attribute to race is actually an issue of culture and/or religion.

I'm originally from Europe, when I came to the U.S., I ended up living around a whole lot of Hispanics, primarily Mexican's and found it a lot easier to relate to them. Similar values, we were largely all immigrants, we went to the same church, we all played soccer, I identified more closely with my Mexican friends than any of my fellow white friends who I had very little in common with. Based on the logic in this thread, that simply should not have been the case.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:48 AM

324 posts, read 416,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
For example, many Americans like racist jokes. When you are with people of other races, you can't tell racist jokes.

A lot of young men and women spend a lot of time seeking sex partners, and they usually prefer their own people.

Whites, blacks and Asians live in different neighborhoods in America.

I disagree..I think that's the best time to tell a racist joke!

Old 06-05-2015, 09:49 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Why do a lot (notice I said a lot and not all or even most) of white people blame minorities (asians, blacks, etc.) for the self segregation that occurs in colleges, neighborhoods, etc. I notice a lot of friend groups that are all white and when asked why they have no real minority friends they'll say that these minorities self segregate to themselves and that these minorities don't bother trying to integrate/get to know white people. But these same white people don't actively try to get to know these minorities themselves either? Aren't these same white people self segregating to themselves too. I've noticed in my neighborhood which is mostly white, when a minority person moves in, they might say hi and the occasional polite talk, but don't get to know them or invite them to anything.

Same as in college. Everyone blames the minorities for self segregating to themselves.
Got a good book for you. Always recommend it: The Big Sort: Why the Clustering of Like-Minded America Is Tearing Us Apart by Bill Bishop. It's about self segregation.

"America may be more diverse than ever coast to coast, but the places where we live are becoming increasingly crowded with people who live, think, and vote like we do. This social transformation didn't happen by accident. We've built a country where we can all choose the neighborhood and church and news show — most compatible with our lifestyle and beliefs. And we are living with the consequences of this way-of-life segregation. Our country has become so polarized, so ideologically inbred, that people don't know and can't understand those who live just a few miles away."

Home

Old 06-05-2015, 10:02 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:

LOL Blame? Blame, blame, blame lol. There is no blame... it's called choice. You CHOOSE to self segregate. I don't have a problem with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies