Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 03:15 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times

Advertisements

So Senator Corey Gardner (R-CO) has proposed a new law that would legalize over the counter birth control pills. That means that access to it would be all but universal, you could buy it online, at the 7-11, or wherever you wanted.

Perhaps surprisingly to some, the libs and the femi-fascists say no. Why? Because that would give women more choices and more control over their own health decisions, which is in fact not really what the left wants to do with healthcare.

Quote:
Why Liberals Oppose Over-the-Counter Birth Control

The Left’s reflexive criticism of Gardner’s plan derives from a deep public-sector and special-interest-backed paternalism that wants to control women’s health choices just as much as any other supposed patriarchy. Removing the pharmacy-counter barrier between women and their birth control would give them vastly more, not less, power over their own health-care choices, also reducing health-care costs and improving access.

Right now, the federal government requires a prescription for birth control, even though other over-the-counter drugs (acetaminophen, for example) bear higher health risks, the directions are straightforward, and there’s no risk of overdose.

Practically speaking, the prescription requirement keeps women beholden to their gynecologist, forcing them to submit to intrusive and uncomfortable once-a-year doctor’s visits in exchange for a pink slip for the pill. But while pelvic exams and Pap smears can help physicians detect everything from sexually transmitted diseases to cervical cancer, these procedures tell them basically nothing about whether a woman can safely take birth control.
Personally, I would prefer to avoid any unnecessary gynecologist appointments if I could. But as long as these pills are over the counter, that is apparently the process you are mandated to go through to get a birth control prescription. Talk about unnecessary health care spending. And some people wonder why healthcare costs continue to skyrocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 03:31 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Gardner is a devout Catholic, who is trying his best to protect his church from being forced to pay for birth control. I had a discussion about this issue with him on my front porch while he was out canvassing for votes in my very hotly-contested neighborhood. Whether or not this turns out to be a good thing is yet to be seen, but please do not assume this is anything other than a politician pandering to his supporters just like they all do. That being said, "a good politician stays bought," and it's clear Gardner is staying true to those who footed the bill for his campaign.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:34 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
What were the actual arguments opposing it?

Old 06-05-2015, 03:38 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yeah, I want to know why are people for it or against it. That might be the telling sign. I agree that maybe you don't always need the OBGYN in the discussion, BUT this issue seems to be more than meets the eye.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:40 PM

943 posts, read 781,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Some birth control can cause severe problems. Some women become depressed, and I heard of a woman that said she felt suicidal because of it. It is not exactly like getting Tylenol. But I guess that depends on the dosage and type/brand of birth-control. I think the safer versions should be over the counter.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:47 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
Some birth control can cause severe problems. Some women become depressed, and I heard of a woman that said she felt suicidal because of it. It is not exactly like getting Tylenol. But I guess that depends on the dosage and type/brand of birth-control. I think the safer versions should be over the counter.
That sounds like an arguent someone might have made .

The 'argument' the OP offers is clearly not the truth: "The Left’s reflexive criticism of Gardner’s plan derives from a deep public-sector and special-interest-backed paternalism that wants to control women’s health choices just as much as any other supposed patriarchy."

That sounds like a distortion of facts.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:48 PM

Please don't discount the potential dangers of acetaminophen. I would actually like to see it pulled from the general pharmacy shelves. It's an extremely easy drug on which to OD with severe consequences for those who do, and it's in all sorts of OTC formulas. It's the one OTC drug that I will not give the school permission to administer to my kids. Truth be told, I'm much less worried about hormonal birth control than Tylenol.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:53 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Please don't discount the potential dangers of acetaminophen. I would actually like to see it pulled from the general pharmacy shelves. It's an extremely easy drug on which to OD with severe consequences for those who do, and it's in all sorts of OTC formulas. It's the one OTC drug that I will not give the school permission to administer to my kids. Truth be told, I'm much less worried about hormonal birth control than Tylenol.
Agree here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Gardner is a devout Catholic, who is trying his best to protect his church from being forced to pay for birth control. I had a discussion about this issue with him on my front porch while he was out canvassing for votes in my very hotly-contested neighborhood. Whether or not this turns out to be a good thing is yet to be seen, but please do not assume this is anything other than a politician pandering to his supporters just like they all do. That being said, "a good politician stays bought," and it's clear Gardner is staying true to those who footed the bill for his campaign.
Maybe he is trying to avoid costs from people, but I think birth control should be OTC. Maybe they should make it so you have to pass a test about basic usage guidelines before you get it, but it should be readily available for whoever wants to use it. Posters on here before complained that in the current model, some rural areas have a real pinch in getting adequate birth control without driving forever.

Cory Gardener, you are my hero for today!!!!

Old 06-05-2015, 03:56 PM

The man who stood on my porch for twenty minutes last fall canvassing for my vote seemed like a nice guy. But hero? Nah.

Last edited by randomparent; 06-05-2015 at 04:33 PM..

Old 06-05-2015, 03:57 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
I could see SOME of the birth control pills being OTC, but There are so many different dosages, and types. My sister went through 9 different ones before they found one that worked for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies