Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 08:49 AM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
What they need is mental help. Not praise and adoration for trying to be something they are not. Sometimes, it isn't right to cheer people for trying to "be who they think they are".
We are society where anything goes to suit your own needs, what's normal, correct, or healthy for others be damned. In this context, the attitude isn't surprising.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:57 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
A fundamental for psychological health is learning that the goal isn't to change material things, conditions or other people in order to have inner peace. The goal of mental health therapy should always be learning self-care and self-acceptance.

It's suggested that sex re-assignment surgery be accompanied with mental health counseling for optimal outcome. But if the activist focus of transgenderism has been to change everyone else's mind about the choice perhaps that's a flaw in the reasoning about how to heal that reinforces the depression for some people.

The problem isn't Has society learned to accept me? but rather Have I learned to accept myself?

Old 06-07-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumisgood View Post
I was watching cnn just now and the lady said that the # was "less than 1%"

Who is lying?
It's a well-established fact that the risk for depression and suicide continues past the sex-reassignment phase. I think it's unfortunate that the focus has always been on expecting society to change rather than on the patient to make the tremendous changes that are needed if he chooses this path.

Here are a few dependable resources for you (recognizing that this study is still in its infancy):

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2013/04/transgender.aspx

http://www.gires.org.uk/assets/Medpr...s_mh_study.pdf

Long-Term Follow-Up of Transsexual Persons Undergoing Sex Reassignment Surgery: Cohort Study in Sweden

Old 06-07-2015, 09:15 AM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
It's a well-established fact that the risk for depression and suicide continues past the sex-reassignment phase. I think it's unfortunate that the focus has always been on expecting society to change rather than on the patient to make the tremendous changes that are needed if he chooses this path.

Here are a few dependable resources for you (recognizing that this study is still in its infancy):

Long-Term Follow-Up of Transsexual Persons Undergoing Sex Reassignment Surgery: Cohort Study in Sweden
A person has to find happiness within themselves.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:48 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

That second study:
'The vast majority of participants reported that recognising their gender identity or
transitioning had improved their quality of life (78%), compared to 9% who thought
it had got worse (N=499).'
'Transition was related to improved life satisfaction (Satisfaction with Life Scale
scores being statistically significant when separated by stage of/desire to transition;
F=18.506, df=5, p<0.005).
★ Transition was related to improved body satisfaction in relation to gender.

I haven't looked at the other linked studies yet...but as someone with a transgender history, all I do is speak for myself and my own experiences. I'm a better person than I ever was pre transition. True, transition will not fix your problems...but it can put you on a level playing field to deal with your other issues as most other people.
You never know who you work with, go to church with, your friends, etc may be transgendered (who have or have not transitioned). Most of us want to keep it quiet because its no one else's business. Honestly, I am of mixed thoughts on Caitlyn Jenner. I think this could be a positive thing, however so many media outlets have interest in keeping this out in the news (Vanity Fair, E!). However, this wasn't something that Jenner could do privately either.

I'm glad I am and haven't been in her shoes.

However, don't pretend you can judge the private lives of other people. What someone does or has experienced, is none of your business.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-08-2015 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: Copyright violation

Old 06-07-2015, 09:54 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Aren't there a lot of transgendered people that don't get the surgery?

Old 06-07-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
That second study:
'The vast majority of participants reported that recognising their gender identity or
transitioning had improved their quality of life (78%), compared to 9% who thought
it had got worse (N=499).'

-------------------------------------

I haven't looked at the other linked studies yet...but as someone with a transgender history, all I do is speak for myself and my own experiences.

--------------------------------------------

However, don't pretend you can judge the private lives of other people. What someone does or has experienced, is none of your business.
I'm aware of the difference in the studies. It does demonstrate a disparity which many of us have also noticed in the "facts." And I don't know enough about how to set up a study to know what makes one reliable and another not. But I included it because I think it's useful to examine both the pros and cons and I hope you'll have a look at the others also. Perhaps you can spot something in the way the studies were designed which influenced the outcomes.

Your last sentence. Was it directed to me? I am not aware of any judgmental language in my post.

I'm surprised that you believe what others experience is no one else's business. That isn't my belief. Instead I think that it is the key to understanding and empathy.

And if what someone else does means committing suicide that is something else I have an interest in. Because the more of us who are mentally healthy the better our society is for all of us. If we can know how that comes about we can make changes in services that support wellness.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:17 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Aren't there a lot of transgendered people that don't get the surgery?
I imagine it's the vast majority that do not. First, some may not want it. But more importantly it's not easily available.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:20 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,949,132 times
Sure it is. $6-12,000 in Thialand. CA covers it on obummercare.

But part of transgender is being BOTH, a third gender. And whast is wrong with that?

Old 06-08-2015, 01:28 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Sure it is. $6-12,000 in Thialand. CA covers it on obummercare.

But part of transgender is being BOTH, a third gender. And whast is wrong with that?
Are you OK? $6-12,000 in Thailand is not in reach for many people. I don't think anyone has said anything about a third gender. There's a scale, for sure. And I don't find anything wrong with that. Do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies