Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 10:23 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Really?? Women are not the weaklings men think they are. But it really does depend on the circumstances. If you take a self defense course even a small woman can defend herself against a large frame like that carrying a knife. And personally, I have a lead pipe under my bed. So don't break into my house and disrupt my sleep or I will hit you upside the head.
My 22 year old granddaughter was making the same arguments. She was arguing that she could not be taken against her will... One day, I walked up behind her, grabbed her and had her in the back floorboard of my pickup, before she knew what hit her. She suddenly realized how vulnerable she could be. If you are confident with your piece of pipe, good for you Natalie. I just prefer that the pipe I use has a round in it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 10:26 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Really?? Women are not the weaklings men think they are. But it really does depend on the circumstances. If you take a self defense course even a small woman can defend herself against a large frame like that carrying a knife. And personally, I have a lead pipe under my bed. So don't break into my house and disrupt my sleep or I will hit you upside the head.
The thing I like about a gun is, when made visible, it serves as an effective deterrent. Having self-defense training deters no one until the attacker actually starts to attack the victim because they won't be able to tell at a glance that the victim has that training - even if you did the Karate Kid pose. That's not to say such training is useless because it is useful.

And I like the pipe...

[effective unless he's wearing a helmet]

Old 06-06-2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
The thing I like about a gun is, when made visible, it serves as an effective deterrent. Having self-defense training deters no one until the attacker actually starts to attack the victim because they won't be able to tell at a glance that the victim has that training - even if you did the Karate Kid pose. That's not to say such training is useless because it is useful.

And I like the pipe...

[effective unless he's wearing a helmet]
My ex tried to brain me with a baseball bat once... She found herself across my knee getting spanked...

Old 06-06-2015, 10:32 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
Those self defense classes only work because the instructor isn't fighting back. Someone much larger than you and much much more deranged is going to overpower you. A karate chop isn't going to save your life.
No, those classes teach you how to defend yourself when someone attacks you from behind and at all angles. It doesn't matter what their height is. Men have vulnerable parts which will bring them down. You know, if people want guns then fine. I'm not trying to dispute that. I'm just saying there are other ways to defend yourself.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:41 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,028,764 times
Quote:
No, those classes teach you how to defend yourself when someone attacks you from behind and at all angles. It doesn't matter what their height is. Men have vulnerable parts which will bring them down. You know, if people want guns then fine. I'm not trying to dispute that. I'm just saying there are other ways to defend yourself.
again you think it works because the person doing the fake attack isn't filled with psychotic rage and actually trying to harm you.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Never never never assume that you are the only one that has training..

Old 06-06-2015, 10:43 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
If you take a self defense course even a small woman can defend herself against a large frame like that carrying a knife.
Natalie, that self defense course may help but do you really think it's going to stack up against the presumably larger physical stature of most men and in my case the 7 years of wrestling experience and the numerous fist fights I've been involved in?

When I said self defense before what I meant was karate school or something of that nature where you are going there a few days a week and actually sparring. There is no replacement for that actual experience in a physical confrontation and it takes a long time to develop those skills.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
If she already had a gun and was still killed by the man,
A gun is no guarantee of your safety and no one is going to suggest otherwise. It's an option and in this case an option she was denied.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Natalie, that self defense course may help but do you really think it's going to stack up against the presumably larger physical stature of most men and in my case the 7 years of wrestling experience and the numerous fist fights I've been involved in?

When I said self defense before what I meant was karate school or something of that nature where you are going there a few days a week and actually sparring. There is no replacement for that actual experience in a physical confrontation and it takes a long time to develop those skills.

Actually it doesn't if you kick a man where it hurts or punch them in the throat. Both would bring them down. But you are right, there is no replacement for actual experience.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Never never never assume that you are the only one that has training..
If they have that training then they don't need a gun do they.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies