Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 11:21 AM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times

Advertisements

I think there are a lot of trigger happy cops and the police could use reigned in in a lot of cases. That said, I have no problem with a cop shooting someone who is brandishing and aggressive, hurting another party, attacking the cop, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 11:38 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
This is because Thuggery is at an all time high.
No, its not. Crime has steadily declined since its highs of the late 70s to mid-80s.
The citizens and their law enforcement officers are both far safer now than then.

Two people a day are dying in the hands of police so far this year. Almost 400 dead now, so far.

Back when crime WAS a problem, death by police numbers were far lower than 2 a day.

We got a problem here, folks. And it ain't with the crooks. it's with the guys we hire to protect us from them.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:48 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
No, its not. Crime has steadily declined since its highs of the late 70s to mid-80s.
The citizens and their law enforcement officers are both far safer now than then.

Two people a day are dying in the hands of police so far this year. Almost 400 dead now, so far.

Back when crime WAS a problem, death by police numbers were far lower than 2 a day.

We got a problem here, folks. And it ain't with the crooks. it's with the guys we hire to protect us from them.
Maybe crime isn't a problem in Idaho. But it is in other parts of the country.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:49 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Default "Police Killings at an All-Time High"

The best advise I can give you is don't become a criminal or associate with criminals and you will be ok.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:53 AM
mm4 mm4 started this thread

5,711 posts, read 3,977,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
The best advise I can give you is don't become a criminal or associate with criminals and you will be ok.
https://www.google.com/search?q=swat+wrong+house

2 bystanders shot, 42nd and 8th:
https://www.google.com/search?q=42nd...two+bystanders

Old 06-07-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Maybe crime isn't a problem in Idaho. But it is in other parts of the country.
In the past 15 months, in my immediate area, 2 guys were shot to death by cops. One victim was drunk, and the other had a long history of mental problems.

Up in the panhandle, a cop shot a young dog to death when the cop was suspicious of the van the dog's owner had parked in a remote corner of a parking lot. The pup, a Lab, came to the side window of the van to see what was going on and was blown away by the cop. The owner came out of a restaurant about an hour later and found his dog dead and his vehicle all shot full of holes.

Those are just the deaths. There have been several more shootings where the citizen lived.

And there was one instance where a bunch of bounty hunters shot a bond jumper to death in a parking lot in front of an apartment building. That one came close to becoming a big gunfight, as several residents came out of their apartments armed and ready to blast away.

Before the bail jumper was riddled, several of his relatives and friends were threatened with assault weapons by the same bounty hunters. We have exactly the same problems with cops as anywhere else.
And since here in Idaho, anyone can be a bounty hunter by simply going into the business, we have that to contend with, too.

There are no regulations whatsoever on licensing or qualifications for the job. The guy who actually killed the victim had a criminal history (non-violent), and had been a bounty hunter for all of 3 hours. He was given a vest and a gun and was hired with no qualifications at all.

That's a problem almost all other states don't have. As I recall from the report I read in the newspaper, there are only 7 states in the nation where bounty hunting has few regulations. Idaho has none.

So yeah. We have a problem with crime. And as big a problem with law enforcement.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
That used to be good advice. Nowadays, it isn't so good anymore, it seems. When a guy is killed after being pulled over for a broken tail light, that's a real problem in my book, even if he is a crook. And that particular shooting victim had no record at all. He was a law abiding middle-aged citizen who did just what you advised.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:38 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
In the past 15 months, in my immediate area, 2 guys were shot to death by cops. One victim was drunk, and the other had a long history of mental problems.

Up in the panhandle, a cop shot a young dog to death when the cop was suspicious of the van the dog's owner had parked in a remote corner of a parking lot. The pup, a Lab, came to the side window of the van to see what was going on and was blown away by the cop. The owner came out of a restaurant about an hour later and found his dog dead and his vehicle all shot full of holes.

Those are just the deaths. There have been several more shootings where the citizen lived.

And there was one instance where a bunch of bounty hunters shot a bond jumper to death in a parking lot in front of an apartment building. That one came close to becoming a big gunfight, as several residents came out of their apartments armed and ready to blast away.

Before the bail jumper was riddled, several of his relatives and friends were threatened with assault weapons by the same bounty hunters. We have exactly the same problems with cops as anywhere else.
And since here in Idaho, anyone can be a bounty hunter by simply going into the business, we have that to contend with, too.

There are no regulations whatsoever on licensing or qualifications for the job. The guy who actually killed the victim had a criminal history (non-violent), and had been a bounty hunter for all of 3 hours. He was given a vest and a gun and was hired with no qualifications at all.

That's a problem almost all other states don't have. As I recall from the report I read in the newspaper, there are only 7 states in the nation where bounty hunting has few regulations. Idaho has none.

So yeah. We have a problem with crime. And as big a problem with law enforcement.
Man, I'll bet. This one guy who lived up the street from me? The cops dragged him out of his house and lit him on fire. And a few blocks from my house, the cops hung this other guy's corpse from a lamppost and wouldn't let anyone take it down, because they wanted to send a message. And a gang of bounty hunters raped my mama. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:05 PM

45,229 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Try getting through your day without committing a crime.
Fact is, you cant.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:30 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,699 times
Quote:
The problem is, a lot of the crimes are victimless crimes.
We have more people behind bars than any other country and we have more laws than any other country.

Too many laws, too many prisoners | The Economist
Too many laws, too many prisoners

Quote:
THREE pickup trucks pulled up outside George Norris's home in Spring, Texas. Six armed police in flak jackets jumped out. Thinking they must have come to the wrong place, Mr Norris opened his front door, and was startled to be shoved against a wall and frisked for weapons. He was forced into a chair for four hours while officers ransacked his house. They pulled out drawers, rifled through papers, dumped things on the floor and eventually loaded 37 boxes of Mr Norris's possessions onto their pickups. They refused to tell him what he had done wrong. “It wasn't fun, I can tell you that,” he recalls.

Mr Norris was 65 years old at the time, and a collector of orchids. He eventually discovered that he was suspected of smuggling the flowers into America, an offence under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species. This came as a shock. He did indeed import flowers and sell them to other orchid-lovers. And it was true that his suppliers in Latin America were sometimes sloppy about their paperwork. In a shipment of many similar-looking plants, it was rare for each permit to match each orchid precisely.

In March 2004, five months after the raid, Mr Norris was indicted, handcuffed and thrown into a cell with a suspected murderer and two suspected drug-dealers. When told why he was there, “they thought it hilarious.” One asked: “What do you do with these things? Smoke 'em?”

Just saying don't commit a crime and not debating the merits of the crimes gives power to people like Kim Jong-un in North Korea.

I am sure the people sent to the labor camps in North Korea agree that all the criminals deserve to go there.
Don't break the crimes if you can't do the time I am sure they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies