Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 06:42 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bejAWQBvkC0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHYDt2giAEo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 06:42 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTwo View Post
He will blame white people
Repped for truth.

I thought he was dead. Spike Lee is a has been that never was. Even his "best" movie, DO THE RIGHT THING, was a steaming pile of crap that portrayed blacks as lazy, lascivious, loud, angry, disrespectful, self-pitying and violent. But we were all supposed to be understanding at the end when a viscous pack destroys a man's livelihood because he used the "N-word" when he is fed up with their awful behavior.

Whatever. To me a word is a word and it is the victims of violence that have my sympathies. Like most liberal casuist films, it turned more away that it converted. In DO THE RIGHT THING Danny Aiello asks his screen son why he has so much hatred in him towards blacks. When they cause trouble, blame him for their troubles and destroy him, perhaps he understands, if not hatred, at least anger. I guarantee that most of the audience did, and it was courtesy of Mister Lee. Thanks.

As for this one, yeah, white people will be blamed. Even if Spike Lee came out and told the truth, the whole truth and nothing but... that black people in the united states are causing their own problems by violence, illegitimacy, drug use, lack of effort in school, etc. It is still too damn late. His entire career has been a misdirected attempt at apology, and he could not possibly do more good than harm at this point.

The very cynical might be tempted to say that at this point he would do or say whatever he has to do or say to revive a career which could not be more dead.

Last edited by cachibatches; 06-07-2015 at 06:56 PM..

Old 06-07-2015, 06:55 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
'Chiraq': Spike Lee film title likens Chicago to Iraq? - CNN.com

This is going to get interesting.

I don't always agree with him but at least he has the balls to go through with what thinks is right and might just be able to stand up to the crapstorm of political pressure he's about to get.

What he's doing is the equivalent of Rush Limbaugh turning on the fracking industry.

I've long pointed out that Chicago is a tale of two cities where "guns" and "gangs" are the excuses used by the politicians to under-serve those communities with complete political immunity due to the single party oligarchy in power.

There are neighborhoods just 3 miles apart in Chicago that have murder rates similar to Japan vs. a mexican border town.

All a legacy of papa-Daley and then his son. Dad kicked Martin Luther King out of town, all brushed under the rug though.

Tell the truth Spike. Don't be bought\threatened off like Sharpton was a couple years ago when he started complaining about how the city isolates and ignores minorities.
I read on some urban planning blog. That crime in some wards of Chicago are higher than what they were in the 90s with less residents today.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:02 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGL View Post
Chicago is notorious for rigging their crime stats to paint a rosier picture than what really exists.

The Truth About Chicago’s Crime Rates
Dumbing down a murder when there are other circumstances is wrong. The number of instances however, has no material impact on the count.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Chicago is on the same track as Detroit, just on a slower pace. The crime and violence was a big reason why I moved away 30 years ago. I had cars stolen, apartments broken into, got mugged, etc.

Where I live now (Bellevue, WA), I have literally never seen any crime. The closest was when I saw a guy lying face down in a parking lot. I went over, asked him if he needed an ambulance, and he responded, 'no.' I left him alone and went on my way. Oh yeah, and I got jostled out of 3rd place one year by a pretty young girl in the Spirit of Bellevue 5K. Heinous crime....
Where in Chicago did you live 30 years ago?

Old 06-07-2015, 07:09 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Chicago is not even in the top ten for homicides. One might not realize this , given the media attention.

Most homicides are concentrated in certain areas and are gang, alcohol or drug related. It's common for family and neighbors to cover for the perpretators and instead blame the Police.

The amount of neighborhood gentrification that has and continues to occur is astounding. Who knew hipsters had so much money? Baby boomers who can choose to live anywhere are flocking back to the city from suburbia.

Most people who live outside the hot zones have never been a victim of crime.
Couple points.

1) Yep 75% of chicagos murders are gang related.
2) Chicago's overall rate doesn't really matter. To me it's the radical difference between areas which is 100% intentional city policy.
3) Hipsters don't have that much money. What they have are incredibly low interest rates. Great as long as rates don't spike back up to 7-8% for a 30 year fixed and then they'll be stuck there for a looong time upside down.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:12 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I read on some urban planning blog. That crime in some wards of Chicago are higher than what they were in the 90s with less residents today.
IDK but the Austin neighborhood has around 100k residents and 30-40 murders a year.

3 miles to the northeast Lincoln park has around 100k residents and about 1 per year...and almost ALL of those are in the far western parts of lincoln park by the interstate.

That's a comparison I would love to see Spike delve into.

Oh, and cook counties gun murder rate is around 8 per 100k, the rest of the state is around 2 per 100k.....but they keep telling their citizens that the problem is that the rest of the state has looser gun laws.

Yes. They say that with a straight face.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:22 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Mathguy and MOM are exactly right...simply put, it's not a very dangerous place. Most of Chicago is pretty damn nice. Crime is highly isolated...it isn't Detroit by any stretch of the imagination.
Crime is concentrated in certain areas, to be sure, but you don't isolate crime. Criminals have transportation like everyone else. When I lived in Chicago a friend was mugged and stabbed in the near north side, which is a pretty nice neighborhood. I was mugged and beaten by several urban youths where I lived in Hyde Park, not far from Pres. Obama's mansion. Thanks but no thanks. Where I live now, I can get a CCW permit upon 5 minutes of paperwork, and crime is at a low ebb. You can have your "pretty damn nice" with stabbings, muggings, burglaries, etc.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:41 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
If Chicago goes the way of detroit, it will be because of public pensions....not gangbangers. You can blame the same political party, but the robbery is happening with guns.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:13 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Where in Chicago did you live 30 years ago?
Hyde Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies