Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 05:54 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times

Advertisements

It's not "black culture" it's that African Americans are steeped in traditional Christianity, many are Pentecostal, Baptist or just culturally Christian. Religion plays a big part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 05:56 PM

1,136 posts, read 923,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
So liberals choose to blame Christianity and not black culture. I guess I should have seen that coming. Of course, anti-gay sentiments existed before Christianity, and are also prevalent in non-Christian cultures around the world. In fact, many of my friends and colleagues who identify themselves as Christians are pro gay marriage. The US is still a Christian nation and we're also one of the most accepting of homosexuality. So I don't really think that's a valid argument.
Most black churches are very conservative

Old 06-09-2015, 05:57 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post
This is shocking that most blacks don't favor SSM. I would think they would.

Support for Same-Sex Marriage at Record High, but Key Segments Remain Opposed | Pew Research Center

51% of blacks oppose gays and lesbians marrying legally, while 41% are in favor. Majorities of whites (59%) and Hispanics (56%) now favor same-sex marriage. The racial differences in these opinions largely persist even when taking into account other factors, such as age, religious affiliation and attendance at religious services.

The share of blacks who support gay marriage has not changed significantly since 2012: 41% favor same-sex marriage today, while 51% oppose it; in 2012, 40% favored while 48% opposed. By contrast, over the past three years, support for gay marriage among whites has risen 10 points (from 49% to 59%).
Actually, compared to whites of the same religious factors, blacks have always been less opposed to homosexual marriage than whites with the same religious factors. Religious blacks are evangelical in religious doctrine; compare them to white evangelicals.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:04 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Actually, compared to whites of the same religious factors, blacks have always been less opposed to homosexual marriage than whites with the same religious factors. Religious blacks are evangelical in religious doctrine; compare them to white evangelicals.
I would like to see those statistics, please.

Not saying they don't exist, I'm simply asking for them since you made the claim.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:12 PM

998 posts, read 665,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
Most black churches are very conservative
I find it hard to believe that black churches are such an ultra conservative pillar of black communities when 95% of the population vote for democratic candidates.

No, I get it. It's uncomfortable and might be "racist" to call a spade a spade and point out that black culture is just generally anti-gay. So we need to blame some other entity. In this case, it's their conservative churches.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:14 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
You want to talk about African Americans on the plantation, look no further than your local black church.
Conservatives don't want blacks to leave THAT plantation.

No no...then they might REALLY get radical and start seeing everything for what it is...they think black folks are crazy enough with Christianity. They don't wanna see us without it.
Quote:
So liberals choose to blame Christianity and not black culture. I guess I should have seen that coming. Of course, anti-gay sentiments existed before Christianity, and are also prevalent in non-Christian cultures around the world. In fact, many of my friends and colleagues who identify themselves as Christians are pro gay marriage. The US is still a Christian nation and we're also one of the most accepting of homosexuality. So I don't really think that's a valid argument.
Because Christianity is to blame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
It's not "black culture" it's that African Americans are steeped in traditional Christianity, many are Pentecostal, Baptist or just culturally Christian. Religion plays a big part.
It plays pretty much the ONLY part.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:18 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
I find it hard to believe that black churches are such an ultra conservative pillar of black communities when 95% of the population vote for democratic candidates.

No, I get it. It's uncomfortable and might be "racist" to call a spade a spade and point out that black culture is just generally anti-gay. So we need to blame some other entity. In this case, it's their conservative churches.
Black folks aren't uncomfortable at all being described as anti gay. Sorry, but you can't shame the black community on that one. They'll plead guilty in a heartbeat.

You're not hurting anyone's feelings, so give it a rest.

Blacks are anti homosexuality because of the church ...period, point blank.

"Spade a spade?" Trying to be cute, huh?

Old 06-09-2015, 06:20 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
With all those unwed mothers it seems many blacks don't believe in hetro marriage either.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:20 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post
This is shocking that most blacks don't favor SSM. I would think they would.
Why? It certainly isn't to me.

American blacks, especially the older generations, are traditional church-going people that share all of the social conservative views of the religious right.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:24 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I would like to see those statistics, please.

Not saying they don't exist, I'm simply asking for them since you made the claim.
From the OP's link.

Little Support for Gay Marriage Among Black Protestants, White Evangelicals | Pew Research Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies