Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 10:37 PM

1,136 posts, read 923,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Irrelevant, but since you brought the opponents up:

opponents aren't the ones displaying their hypocrisy by willfully giving the govt a free pass on its 200+ years of discrimination
I'm sorry this post made me laugh. There is no point in engaging you in a serious manor.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:41 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
I'm sorry this post made me laugh. There is no point in engaging you in a serious manor.
Why, because you can't break my arguments?

The simple fact is that the government denied marriage to homosexuals for 200+ years. Now that the government has reversed course, the entire LGBT movement has decided to give the government a pass, never even entertaining the notion that what has been given could be taken away again.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:02 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Isn't it funny how those who are clamoring for the government to recognize same-sex marriage turn a blind eye to the fact that the very same government has denied same-sex marriage for over 2 centuries.

This is why some of believe the government should not be granting or denying marriage licenses to anybody.
Quote:
Except opponents of gay marriage are very much in favor of the government granting or denying marriage licenses.
Quote:
Irrelevant, but since you brought the opponents up:

opponents aren't the ones displaying their hypocrisy by willfully giving the govt a free pass on its 200+ years of discrimination
Oh come ON, man. That is quite the stretch.

I'm curious as to your arguments as to exactly how it is 'opponents' of same sex marriage are making a statement about ANYTHING other than their personal preference about who should marry who.

Exactly HOW are they holding the governments feet to the fire for failing to approve SSM for the past 200 years?

This should be good.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Exactly HOW are they holding the governments feet to the fire for failing to approve SSM for the past 200 years?
The pro-SSM crowd is not holding the government's feet to the fire - that's my whole point.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:07 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Isn't it funny how those who are clamoring for the government to recognize same-sex marriage turn a blind eye to the fact that the very same government has denied same-sex marriage for over 2 centuries.

This is why some of believe the government should not be granting or denying marriage licenses to anybody.
Oh, please just stop with the "marriage is a just a religious institution" bull excrement! Marriage has been a civil institution for over 2 millenia.

Furthermore, should homosexuality still be illegal because it used to be illegal? That's apparently your logic.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Furthermore, should homosexuality still be illegal because it used to be illegal? That's apparently your logic.
No, the last thing we need is more government control over our lives - and that includes the government approving or disapproving of one's choice of marital partner.

For the record, although I haven't read the opinions, I agree with the overall ruling in Lawrence v. Texas.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:20 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,971 times
Quote:
No, the last thing we need is more government control over our lives - and that includes the government approving or disapproving of one's choice of marital partner.
OK, so I should be able to marry my dog, sister, aunt or my son? That seems to be your implication.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:28 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,106,539 times
Quote:
Did you read my comment that plenty of thugs like other guys. I live in the south and the gay black community here is very closeted here. Atlanta is the huge exception. There are many gay black men who actually do not support gay marriage and view it as sinful. Having sex with another man doesn't make you a supporter of gay rights.
Yes, but it does make you a self-hater. Just calling it like it is.

If you don't support "gay rights", then you must necessarily support gays with no rights. There is no middle ground here. Then, by definition, this means gays should have no rights to equality of treatement etc, which means open persecution.

In this country, it's about laws and rights protected under the law. It's not about habit, convention or morality. Keep those things in the churches but in the civic sphere, we are a nation founded on laws and civil codes.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:30 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,106,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
OK, so I should be able to marry my dog, sister, aunt or my son? That seems to be your implication.
This is the most infantile argument against gay marriages since....forever. Massachusetts, where I live, has had gay marriage since a long long time ago, and we do not have an avalanche of people marrying their dogs or cousins or whatever. It''s just a stupid argument.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:59 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Doubt it some black male inmates have sex with other males in prison especially if they have a long sentence it's not that uncommon from what I have been told I have worked in that environment. In prison I would say the Hispanics are the most opposed.
That's about domination, they are not suddenly gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies