Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2015, 05:43 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 18 days ago)

27,622 posts, read 16,104,993 times

Advertisements

eat the rich

Last edited by saltine; 06-11-2015 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: pc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 05:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,741,672 times
The overwhelming idea is if the rich share with the poor the rich will have less and the poor will still be poor. The most important things being wealthy, especially multi generational wealthy, brings are exclusivity and freedom from being compelled to work because you need the money. Those are the most important but there are many others such as unlimited access to recreational drugs and high end rehab facilities.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:06 AM

58,923 posts, read 27,247,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Wasn't meant to make you subservient to the system either. You didn't answer me regarding the people of your generation having good jobs that aren't around anymore. How do you expect those people to get ahead of what helped your generation isn't there?

"having good jobs that aren't around anymore."

Like what?

Jobs come and go ALL the time.

We know longer have many buggy whip makers or typewriter repairmen but, we DO have tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands, of people employed in the IT industry,

You bring up me and my generation. Do you think my work was the same when i retired as when i started?

Hell no!

I started with electromechanical equipment. Worked with it for many years then electronic equipment took over, the digital.

There was a time when computer technology changed every 18 months, then it seem every 6 months.

In order to survive you have to adapt and keep up with the latest technology.

Time doesn't stand still. Jobs evolve.

One pf the problems we have today is too many young kids go to college and get worthless degrees but still can't do anything.

I know many small business owners who constantly complain about today's young "workers" who DON"T want to work. They want to just show up and get paid. The turnover is horrendous.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:35 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,433,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Hospitals and charities have always helped people who get sick or are addicted.

And they are extremely good at getting government dollars for those patients.

One time I landed in hospital not ambulatory and the hospital had me on Medicaid before I even knew what happened.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:43 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,433,908 times
[quote=InformedConsent;39970732]A REFUNDABLE tax credit is welfare. It's additional income one didn't earn.

Drop EVERYONE to 14%. The more you earn; the more you pay. Period.[/quote]

Why do you want to 'drop' my marginal tax rate from 10% to 14%?

That's more like The less you earn; the more you pay.

Which, come to think of it, makes for perfect conservative logic.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:05 AM

13,924 posts, read 5,611,132 times
This entire thread is more arguing between people who either do or do not believe in zero sum economics.

I don't believe in zero sum economics, so I see no reason why anyone at any income level needs to have the government punish them from success. Other people do believe in a fixed pile of money, and that rich people can only get that way by stealing from others. Therefore, they think these thieves should be punished.

All the rhetoric surrounding the two viewpoints just obfuscates the simple argument - do you believe our economic system is a zero sum game? Yes or no?

Old 06-11-2015, 07:15 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,919,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
This entire thread is more arguing between people who either do or do not believe in zero sum economics.

I don't believe in zero sum economics, so I see no reason why anyone at any income level needs to have the government punish them from success. Other people do believe in a fixed pile of money, and that rich people can only get that way by stealing from others. Therefore, they think these thieves should be punished.

All the rhetoric surrounding the two viewpoints just obfuscates the simple argument - do you believe our economic system is a zero sum game? Yes or no?
I think our economic system is controlled by a parasitic institution-The Federal Reserve- that along with their "too big to fail" banks needs to be dismantled before any real change can occur.

So no, that question is not relevant if our entire financial system starting at the top is corrupt and is only meant to grow the power and control of those that already have it.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:31 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,721,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Annuity's are a fools game for the most part, they are a truly horrible "investment". basically its "give me your money, I pay you 4% (barely more then inflation)...and when you die...I keep it all.
You obviously know nothing about annuities. Most of them have a death benefit, so the ins company does not get to keep it all. They are a perfect tool in many cases. You just have to be smart enough to know when an annuity is the best decision.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Shrug. The government could use their ability for long term risk to average it out. Might have some odd side effects though......bottom line is....thats what the numbers say.

Annuity's are a fools game for the most part, they are a truly horrible "investment". basically its "give me your money, I pay you 4% (barely more then inflation)...and when you die...I keep it all.
You are behind the times.

I said immediate annuity. And you can buy them at different levels.
And heirs can get the balance back after you die.

And an annuity is recommended for retirees that do not have pensions.

You'd rather invest in the stock market and HOPE you can make $1200 a month ?

Old 06-11-2015, 09:15 AM

88,930 posts, read 44,757,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
Nope. People are benefitting from the shenanigans in the stock market. People who have retirement accounts and pensions need the stock market to perform no doubt. But I have my doubts about how long lived this will be.

It's funny you mentioned Unions though.

Of the few groups of people who are still doing well and keeping their health, welfare and salaries at a solid middle class level it's those people I know who are in strong Teachers Unions or the Locals.

There's a reason unions came to be and there are consequences for their demise.
You say that, but then complain about the corporate profits absolutely necessary to fund those pensions and benefits. Can't have it both ways. Corporate profits are REQUIRED for funding union pensions and benefits.

Quote:
You'd think people would learn something?
Yep, you'd think people would learn to stop whining about the very corporate profits they're depending on for their retirement and benefits.

But Gruber was right... the overwhelming majority of Americans are stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies