Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 01:58 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
"I don't take, Section 8".
They need to hear:

If the couch has a stain, the tenet must remain.

If you need to take the bus, you still can stay with us.

With a Nagel on your wall, feel free to hang with us all.

Nuggets always for dinner, we'll see you as a winner.

Foiled windows to block the sun, sure it sounds like fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 02:01 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
My point was Romney, not Nixon.
George Romney was appointed by Nixon. What he does/did reflects on his boss.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:02 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most are individual landlord/tenant relationships. The landlord may or may not be present and no management company is involved.

There is no shortage of slumlords who don't care who they rent to and don't take care of their properties.
My guess is that slumlords are really just inexperienced landlord. I don't think there are any clear thinking landlords who do not care about their properties.

Years ago, I wanted to purchase a rental property in upstate New York. I asked enough questions and decided to go with my plan. I decided to hire a local property management company and eventually found out that it was a one man company. I also heard many horror stories about section 8, rental property management company, etc, etc. I am just so glad that I changed the plan eventually.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:06 PM

17,418 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Obama making bid to diversify wealthy neighborhoods | TheHill

Good grief.

And here I thought people should earn their own way in life to live in a certain neighborhood/price-point. Silly me.
Someone should ask Obama how that worked out when Chicago's public housing began to be torn down.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:07 PM

17,418 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
My guess is that slumlords are really just inexperienced landlord. I don't think there are any clear thinking landlords who do not care about their properties.
There are LOTS of landlords who don't care. LOTS & LOTS.

When it comes down to it, it's a numbers game.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:08 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by o.c. Ogilvy View Post
george romney was appointed by nixon. What he does/did reflects on his boss.
No......

Quote:
“I am absolutely opposed to this. Knock it in the head now.†(Nixon to John Ehrlichmann)

Old 06-11-2015, 02:09 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post

Perhaps

Old 06-11-2015, 02:10 PM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
If the renter can pay the other half of the rent in an expensive community, they can afford to pay the whole rent in a less expensive area and shouldn't be getting subsidizes at all. Just like the rest of us.
That makes too much sense. It is pretty nutty to waste that money that could be helping a family that needs the assistance. We keep hearing how long of a waiting list there is for Section 8 housing and this policy certainly wouldn't help improve that wait. Who would ever want to leave a luxury highrise?

Old 06-11-2015, 02:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post

Some are speculators buying homes in hot markets.
Let Sec 8 pay money while they wait for the right numbers to hit and then they sell for a profit.
In a hot market with bidding wars people will buy places needing updates and fixing if the Sec 8 folks trashed it.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:13 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

Years ago, I wanted to purchase a rental property in upstate New York. I asked enough questions and decided to go with my plan. I decided to hire a local property management company and eventually found out that it was a one man company. I also heard many horror stories about section 8, rental property management company, etc, etc. I am just so glad that I changed the plan eventually.
My uncle did a few section 8's. It turned him off so bad he sold them. He said people don't respect the property and it's just too much headaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies