Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 12:59 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
Political correctness is destroying this nation.
Yep. Freedom of Speech (The First Amendment) is being assailed daily.

“What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist.”
Salman Rushdie

“All censorships exist to prevent anyone from challenging current conceptions and existing institutions. All progress is initiated by challenging current conceptions, and executed by supplanting existing institutions. Consequently, the first condition of progress is the removal of censorship.”
George Bernard Shaw,

“The censor's sword pierces deeply into the heart of free expression.”
Earl Warren

“The only security of all is in a free press.”
Thomas Jefferson

“Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech.”
Noam Chomsky

Print is the sharpest and the strongest weapon of our party.

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.
Joseph Stalin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 02:47 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,385,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
when I see post like this, i wonder if people want honest discussion, or if they just want their own prior opinions reaffirmed.

In a case like this where many people see what the officer did as wrong, saying you believe the officer did nothing wrong and that you support law enforcement looks like you believe law enforcement can do nothing wrong.
Should you be fired for having an unpopular opinion?

Old 06-12-2015, 03:36 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
When "it takes a village" then you better make sure whatever you say doesn't upset "the village" because the village can be mean and vengeful.
I think you hit the nail on its head. We can't give our opinions about anything anymore. In my opinion it is an effective way to silence people and shame them also who don't agree with lifestyles, politics, religion etc. of any particular group.

If you are a public figure or work for any governmental agency, it seems as if anything that you say could be definitely used against you and (in many cases today) it could lead to an unfair cause for you to lose your job, especially if the village thinks you are stating something as racist, homophobic, sexist or whatever that village thinks is not right, and your boss out of fear of being shamed as well or out of being political correct has no choice but to fire you.

Last edited by antredd; 06-12-2015 at 04:10 PM..

Old 06-12-2015, 04:14 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
In the last days... good is bad and bad is good.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:32 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
In the last days... good is bad and bad is good.
Well now you are opening up a whole new can of worms. The book of Amos in the old testament is like reading USA Today. As a Christian, I AM HEARING YOU QUITE CLEARLY.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:51 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,320,714 times
For the Official Record:

The Wise Wino does not understand why this principle was fired over he wrote on Facebook which in the grand scheme of things wasn't in the least bit out of the boundaries of good taste or decorum.

Now the witch from Texas... man that's a whole nother story.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:12 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,033,806 times
Ridiculous. How can you get fired for this? I think this should be grounds for a lawsuit. He didnt threaten anyone, he didnt say anything racist, etc. So how can he get punished at all?

Old 06-12-2015, 05:14 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,033,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
Should you be fired for having an unpopular opinion?

According to many on the left, yes. If we say we dont believe in something or dont see things the way they do, they want us punished for it.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:16 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Ridiculous. How can you get fired for this? I think this should be grounds for a lawsuit. He didnt threaten anyone, he didnt say anything racist, etc. So how can he get punished at all?
Take it up with the school board, I guess. I certainly had nothing to do with it. BTW, he wasn't fired, he was reassigned to some other position.

Let me know what they say...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies