Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2015, 06:42 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,378 times

Advertisements

Interesting facts about the killing of black males by police officers

I am pretty torn about sharing this, as this slide show implies well it's okay, white officers killing black men, because more black men die from suicide or homicide. The question remains the fact we are asking these questions, leads to: is this the impression the media wants us to have? Cops are evil, and kill black people at an alarming rate? OR are some communities policed more than other communities?

Bernie Madoff did as much as harm or more so than a so called thug. Why don't cops police Wall Street the way they police poor urban neighborhoods?

Last edited by FlowerPower00; 06-11-2015 at 06:50 PM..

Old 06-12-2015, 01:39 AM

200 posts, read 278,930 times
I was aprehensive to click on this thread lol

As a black male I can tell you that yes the police stalk our neighborhoods like the military. The media only shows half of the story. Someone from the outside looking in will throw out stereotypes that are based on a very small percentage of the black population (if they would stop killing each other, Fatherless homes,get a real job blah blah) but the way police roll around our areas you would think that every single black person is hell bent on doing something crazy wen in all actuality its mire like 1 in 30 or so. All the uprisings and stuff you see on Y.V. were mainly instagated by the police, a fact that the news doesnt show. The narrative is usually (black man was shot,black people riot) It doesnt play out like that. Ever. Something akways starts it and usually the police

The state makes money off of us. Have you ever been down to your local court house? If you live in a major metropolitan area you will see tons of working class black people in for countless things. This isnt because Black folks are just running amuck. More so the police are just on your back and if you ask questions the situation gets worse. A lot of America cant fathom this becauar they have never experienced it. It's annoying as all hell.

There are a lot of things that led up to this, and I have my own little explanations for things from a Sociological perspective that I will not get into, but i can tell you that the Black community is tired of it just as much as others are tired of hearing about it and are starting to demand changes and respect. WE WANT TO LIKE THE POLICE! My uncle is a cop and I feel so bad for him cause a few f it up for many.

I just ranted, but I think they patrol so hard because it makes a lot of money especially if your department goes by stats. Every urban area in the country knows to keep it tight at the end of every month and the beginning of every month cause the boys are trying to meet theur quotas.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:53 AM

16,591 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Interesting facts about the killing of black males by police officers

I am pretty torn about sharing this, as this slide show implies well it's okay, white officers killing black men, because more black men die from suicide or homicide. The question remains the fact we are asking these questions, leads to: is this the impression the media wants us to have? Cops are evil, and kill black people at an alarming rate? OR are some communities policed more than other communities?

Bernie Madoff did as much as harm or more so than a so called thug. Why don't cops police Wall Street the way they police poor urban neighborhoods?
You cannot really be this naïve, so why do you start such discussions based on absurd comparative analogies
As bad as the Wall Street crooks are (I agree many more should be behind bars), it is a completely different situation than police being called for violent crimes in progress. While you are asleep in your comfortable bed, LE & EMS are rushing to the mayhem created by the gun & knife clubs every single night.
If you had someone breaking into your home intent upon doing you harm, would you prefer response time of police be increased because they were in the financial districts trying to figure out who committed what crime, and going about gathering enough evidence to justify an arrest?
If anything, taxpayers are getting pissed off that police spend a disproportionate number of hours in poor urban neighborhoods, even though the taxes paid by those residents are much lower.
This very thing has caused more affluent neighborhoods to break away from city/county taxing districts and form their own town so their taxes are kept in their own neighborhoods. As a result the pot holes get fixed and the police & paramedic presence is far greater(i.e. more deterrent & faster response times).

As to the overall notion of blacks being killed by police, more whites are killed per year by police. This is of course based on more whites % wise in this country. However on a per capita basis, blacks have more interaction with police. Much of this has to do with the poor socio-economic situations many live in. Still the percentages are still very low for civilians being killed by police regardless of how the media tries to gin up the stories.

`

Old 06-12-2015, 09:10 AM

16,591 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stationplay View Post
I was aprehensive to click on this thread lol

As a black male I can tell you that yes the police stalk our neighborhoods like the military. The media only shows half of the story. Someone from the outside looking in will throw out stereotypes that are based on a very small percentage of the black population (if they would stop killing each other, Fatherless homes,get a real job blah blah) but the way police roll around our areas you would think that every single black person is hell bent on doing something crazy wen in all actuality its mire like 1 in 30 or so. All the uprisings and stuff you see on Y.V. were mainly instagated by the police, a fact that the news doesnt show. The narrative is usually (black man was shot,black people riot) It doesnt play out like that. Ever. Something akways starts it and usually the police

The state makes money off of us. Have you ever been down to your local court house? If you live in a major metropolitan area you will see tons of working class black people in for countless things. This isnt because Black folks are just running amuck. More so the police are just on your back and if you ask questions the situation gets worse. A lot of America cant fathom this becauar they have never experienced it. It's annoying as all hell.

There are a lot of things that led up to this, and I have my own little explanations for things from a Sociological perspective that I will not get into, but i can tell you that the Black community is tired of it just as much as others are tired of hearing about it and are starting to demand changes and respect. WE WANT TO LIKE THE POLICE! My uncle is a cop and I feel so bad for him cause a few f it up for many.

I just ranted, but I think they patrol so hard because it makes a lot of money especially if your department goes by stats. Every urban area in the country knows to keep it tight at the end of every month and the beginning of every month cause the boys are trying to meet theur quotas.
I am going to try and be gentile with you because you made a sincere effort to express the way you feel.
However I suggest you have long talk with your uncle about why the police are in black areas so much.

Essentially your perspective is skewed with the belief police presence is some type of a money grab. Many of the folks going through the justice system are draining, not increasing the city budget coffers. Sure they may be getting fined for xyz, but the real expensive costs never gets repaid by those who have no money to pay it (i.e. blood from a rock).
The urban blight areas take a disproportionate number of resources/man hours by both police and paramedics, yet the main base of taxpayers are footing the largest percentage of the costs(read my previous post).

The blacks that are my friends and/or that I know, do not live in such areas, but they love having police presence and fast paramedic times if they are ever needed. Frankly, if I lived in a war zone like the inner city slums, I'd want as many police around as possible to deter and keep the drug dealers and the violence they bring to a minimum.
The decent people who live in these areas (because they have no alternative) are sick and tired of living like prisoners in their own neighborhoods. Go around the USC campus and you will see people trying to keep up their home/yard, yet they have plywood on the windows to try and keep their family safe from stray bullets.
It is really sickening that they must live like this, and rest assured they wish for a greater police presence, not a smaller one.

`

Old 06-12-2015, 01:50 PM

2 posts, read 1,552 times
I'm surprised more black males are not murdered by the police. In the city where I am from there is a nearly 100% black housing project that is known for producing cop killers going back 2+ decades. Criminals and even regular residents of this complex are actually quite proud of that fact. In the past 5 years alone 4 police officers have been murdered there. Cops stopped patrolling the area seriously quite some time ago and only show up to do sweeps and raids with SWAT in large numbers because the black men from that area are notorious for committing murder, both of there own and all outsiders, including cops. They are so violent that black men from other violent ghettos in the city are afraid of them and there neighborhood, and this is a commentary of the neighborhood recently. It was even MORE violent in the 90s early 00s before that generation of thugs died off and went to prison.

It is not a safe place to be and not be black period unless you are one of the maybe 10 white folks that live there. There has been too many murders to count where white tourists decided to stop at the local gas station there or even just stopped at a green light and lost there life. Because they are not from there and white. There was also 2 white guys in the past 5 years that were murdered in the street there in broad daylight for having an attractive black female in there car. In one of those instances, the husbands last memories on this earth were watching his beautiful black wife being gangraped by three men, at 2 in the afternoon, in front of a crowded corner store while he bled out. This incident of course had about 15 minutes of local news coverage before it was forgotten about. Just like the group of black folks that kidnapped, gangraped, than tortured for days that white couple in Knoxville to death for being white than got light sentences. Remember that? Happened around the same time as the Duke Lacrosse race scandal, you probably don't remember because no one cared.

If I was a cop I would keep my finger close to my trigger when patrolling that area or any neighborhood that is 95%+ black and low income. Especially if it was a housing project. I'm not racist but I don't like dying either, and if it comes down to it me or you, it's going to be you. In fact I'm not a cop and when I am forced to drive or be in the ghetto you better believe I have my glock 19 cocked. If your a black man in the ghetto and you get aggressive with me for no reason I am going to shoot you in the face and not feel bad about it at all. I'm not trying to be a statistic.

Last edited by holyhandgrenade; 06-12-2015 at 02:01 PM..

Old 06-12-2015, 03:13 PM

404 posts, read 385,737 times
Recently i was having a conversation with a Real Estate Agent who talked about being harassed by the police because he's black. He dresses very nicely and has a nice car. I didn't believe him. However, when he LISTED out the examples of being pulled over for nothing. I couldn't deny it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies