Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Should The USA Retaliate Against China For Cyber Attacks?
No Retaliation 5 20.83%
Slight increase to tariffs 1 4.17%
Steep increase to tariffs 4 16.67%
Attempt to take China to international court 2 8.33%
Embargo 3 12.50%
Cut of diplomatic relations 0 0%
Travel (to and from) ban 1 4.17%
War 0 0%
Nuclear war 4 16.67%
Other 4 16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 02:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfan View Post
I'm not going to defend the government's security (I'm in IT, but not in security, and I know enough about security to know that I know very little about it). It's obviously a massive screw-up somewhere if this amount of sensitive data can be pulled from one source. But the government is massive, an offline-storage vault is almost certainly not going to be feasible for their needs. Of course they hire IT firms for security, but I think we all know what government contracts are like. Also as someone who has been the victim of check fraud and accidental debits, the banking system is hardly a paragon of security. In fact I think many people would be frightened to know how ACH works. Again I'm not defending the government's security but none of this is an excuse or means they deserved it.
You don't need an offline storage vault.

Don't make the machine the data is on a server.
Have a server that takes the requests..perform your security checks on that request.
Have a wired connection to the machine hosting the data.

They have it set up so anyone has direct access to the data.
They should have set it up so it's indirect access.

Check fraud and accidental debits is not the same as a massive hack to retrieve all the data.

I've done software work in both the banking industry and on some FedGov contracts.
Agencies in the FedGov do whatever the hell they want and then you get systems that can't talk to each other because the data is not in the same format.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 02:11 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
I'm not going to defend the government's security (I'm in IT, but not in security, and I know enough about security to know that I know very little about it). It's obviously a massive screw-up somewhere if this amount of sensitive data can be pulled from one source. But the government is massive, an offline-storage vault is almost certainly not going to be feasible for their needs. Of course they hire IT firms for security, but I think we all know what government contracts are like. Also as someone who has been the victim of check fraud and accidental debits, the banking system is hardly a paragon of security. In fact I think many people would be frightened to know how ACH works. Again I'm not defending the government's security but none of this is an excuse or means they deserved it.
Of course not but the problem is an incompetent government. If they are too large to do anything correctly, they need to be smaller. They need to quit spying (and accomplishing nothing) and then get all snippy when they get spied back on.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:17 PM

17 posts, read 13,514 times
Stick around, it will probably get more exciting as it goes......

Old 06-13-2015, 02:22 PM

366 posts, read 596,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Of course not but the problem is an incompetent government. If they are too large to do anything correctly, they need to be smaller. They need to quit spying (and accomplishing nothing) and then get all snippy when they get spied back on.
No argument there. It just rankles me when people say "whatever, we do it too" as an excuse to just let this sort of thing happen. With the way some people here are willing to bend over for China and Russia, I sometimes think we'll roll out the red carpet when WW3 starts.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
No argument there. It just rankles me when people say "whatever, we do it too" as an excuse to just let this sort of thing happen. With the way some people here are willing to bend over for China and Russia, I sometimes think we'll roll out the red carpet when WW3 starts.
We spy on them, why is it wrong for them to spy back? I don't understand that thinking.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We spy on them, why is it wrong for them to spy back? I don't understand that thinking.
I must have missed the story where we stole the personal data of every member of the Chinese Communist Party and sold it to the Mexican cartels. I must have missed the story where American hackers stole the health information of the Russian government health insurance company and sold it to the Camorra.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:32 PM

Well they poured billions of dollars into NSA who have the top state of the art equipment for spying and creating malicious hacks.

And they probably did nothing more than invoke MS Update on all the other government machines.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I must have missed the story where we stole the personal data of every member of the Chinese Communist Party and sold it to the Mexican cartels.
Who said the government data was stolen and sold ?
From what I read the hackers were accessing data for over a year.

And the government only "sometimes" used encryption.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Who said the government data was stolen and sold ?
Why else would they steal it? It's the motivating factor in every one of these kinds of hacks.

Edit: I'm reading the current idea is for counterespionage. So I guess since they'll just use it to execute suspected spies, then it's OK.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Why else would they steal it? It's the motivating factor in every one of these kinds of hacks.
Or maybe to get the attention of the people? If I was China and I wanted this stopped I would do one of two things. Steal something embarrassing to the politicians or information to scare the people.

Why is it wrong for them but not us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies