Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 07:19 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,044,056 times

Advertisements

I had to laugh at my states sorry examples of US senators. Bob Casey a sycophant left wing toady, voted against it and opposed Obama, while right wing conservative lap dog Pat Toomey voted for it and supported Obama. I call them the blind squirrels because they occasionally find an acorn and vote correctly. The acorn finally goes to Casey after a long wait..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 07:40 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Didn't we get blindsided with NAFTA? Let's not repeat agreements we can't even read in advance. I don't even like the name "fast track"!
Blind sighted?

The Bush 1 Admin negotiated the agreement in 1990.
Bush 1 signed it in 1991, subject to Congress ratification.

There was bipartisan support and opposition.

It eventually passed Congress.

Clinton signed it in 1994.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
They were also including medicine cost, food safety, internet freedom, financial regulations and more. Pharmaceutical companies have lobbied for the TPP more than any other industry......interesting!
Tpp The Trade Deal That Could Inflate Your Healthcare Bill | Accounting Books
Other countries have cost containment polices on their drugs.
Lots of seniors down near the border go to Mexico to get their drugs..same drugs by same manufacturer as sold in the US for 5-10x the price.

TPP would give big pharma the ability to set "fair" prices in all countries.

I had always thought that the concept of NWO involved global government control.
Looks more like it's going to be global corporate control.

The multinationals will turn into supernationals with power to sue governments.
And these suits will not be settled in a court but by a global tribunal.
Corporations could challenge any laws made by a country if they though it put their product at a disadvantage.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:32 AM

2,906 posts, read 1,981,048 times
On C-span they said negotiating partners from other countries asked it be kept secret until they take it back to their own legislative bodies. It will be available for viewing on a website, according to a Congressman who they had on, for at least 60 days before it's voted on, giving constituents the opportunity to read it and contact their Rep or Senator to share their views.

My guess as to why Democrats and obviously many Republicans voted against TAA is because it would take 700 million from Medicare to pay for retraining of displaced workers. Ironically, I heard Democrats in the Senate were the ones who insisted on the TAA to help workers whose jobs would end up being sent overseas.

I have to believe most Americans are against the TPP, and once they have a chance to read it will flood their Congressmen and Senators demanding they vote no when it comes up for a vote. Earliest it will be voted on is in the fall.

Not sure if it's even worth it to contact our elected officials, especially on the TPP. Big money lobbyists will make sure they vote for it. Make no mistake, both parties have chosen the interests of big corporations over doing what's right for the citizens. I contacted my Rep and asked he vote against the TPA, but of course he voted for it.

I'd like to see people around the country organize to protest against this trade agreement. And not just one day. Maybe once a week until the vote gets closer, then if need be shut the country down until they agree to not vote on it or bring it up again, a complete pullout from the negotiated agreement.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
On C-span they said negotiating partners from other countries asked it be kept secret until they take it back to their own legislative bodies. It will be available for viewing on a website, according to a Congressman who they had on, for at least 60 days before it's voted on, giving constituents the opportunity to read it and contact their Rep or Senator to share their views.

My guess as to why Democrats and obviously many Republicans voted against TAA is because it would take 700 million from Medicare to pay for retraining of displaced workers. Ironically, I heard Democrats in the Senate were the ones who insisted on the TAA to help workers whose jobs would end up being sent overseas.

I have to believe most Americans are against the TPP, and once they have a chance to read it will flood their Congressmen and Senators demanding they vote no when it comes up for a vote. Earliest it will be voted on is in the fall.

Not sure if it's even worth it to contact our elected officials, especially on the TPP. Big money lobbyists will make sure they vote for it. Make no mistake, both parties have chosen the interests of big corporations over doing what's right for the citizens. I contacted my Rep and asked he vote against the TPA, but of course he voted for it.

I'd like to see people around the country organize to protest against this trade agreement. And not just one day. Maybe once a week until the vote gets closer, then if need be shut the country down until they agree to not vote on it or bring it up again, a complete pullout from the negotiated agreement.

LOL..they've been working on it for 6 years.
Don't you recall the public outrage Congress had every time Obama came back from one of those TPP meetings and didn't tell them anything ?

Old 06-14-2015, 11:16 AM

12,030 posts, read 6,560,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

This time Pelosi didn't roll over though. And I have to wonder why.
Nothing in it for her personally.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:55 AM

23,529 posts, read 17,205,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They got Obamacare passed in secrecy and maybe they thought they could do it again ?

This time Pelosi didn't roll over though. And I have to wonder why.
Must have impacted investments in american samoa....apparently there are loopholes in the law that obscure some financial dealings so maybe yes maybe no, but the appearance is there and her wealth had to come from somewhere...other than legal insider trading exemption for legislators

Old 06-14-2015, 08:20 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,928,690 times
Never mind that the conservatives couldn't discuss what's in the bill; the problem is, we want to know what is in the bill!!! Americans have every right to know. And you know that Darth Barry loves to plot things secretly for the sole purpose of further American destruction, and what's disturbing is what he doesn't want us to know.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:35 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
We should know what is in these agreements. If us knowing it sinks it then it wasn't worth having to start with. If another country finds out after the fact that another country got a better deal they aren't just going to accept that.

Do it in the open. If you have to do it over and over and over again until you finally reach an agreement, so be it.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:36 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,518,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
After Democrats get their share of the bribes, then they`ll go along with whatever deal leadership wants.

We`ve seen this Kabuki theatre before.

Democrats will stomp their feet and tear-up for the cameras while delivering just enough votes to cover the corporate ***** Republican shortfall.

Everyone has their hand out knowing if they get voted out of office, the same international corporations that wanted this deal will reward outgoing, perhaps disgraced, officeholders with cushy multi-million dollar do-nothing jobs.

This way they can assure current officeholders that they too will get their turn at the golden trough of differed bribery provided they screw the public as their predecessors have.
Kabuki theater indeed. It's all a dog and pony show but we all know that both parties are more than happy to sell out their constituents to line their own pockets. And yet we'll keep voting in idiots like obama, reid, mcconnell, boehner who are in it for themselves and not do what's best for the American people. It's outrageous and they play us knowing nothing will change for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies