Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 07:58 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Well let's see how adept you are at reading for comprehension. This this is my opening paragraph with emphasis added:
"When it comes to state actors abusing the rights of citizens, I don't care what color the victim is. I don't care about their background what I care about is that they are afforded the rights guaranteed to them by the Constitution. That means not being denied life or liberty without due process of law."
[note - I don't care what color the victim is... what I care about is that they are afforded the rights guaranteed to them by the Constitution. That seems pretty racially inclusive to me, but maybe you have a different take on what not caring about a person's color just their rights mean.]
"Now there seems to be some controversy over the slogan "Black Lives Matter." I have to suppose that those who originated the slogan were motivated by what happens before their own eyes and because we live in a socially segregated country, I suspect that a lot of black folks don't see a lot of white folks being abused by the police, something that I know for a fact happens, so "Black Lives Matter" seem to be the more pressing issue.

Then comes along, "All Lives Matter," and from this leftist position, that's a slogan that I can readily adopt as being far more unifying because I do know that police abuse cuts across all races, not at the same rate but that isn't a deal breaker for me. Unfortunately that slogan didn't arise out of a concern for the Constitutional rights white person who have been unjustly killed at the hands of the police. And that too is unfortunate because if it did, there could have been a single unifying movement to end police corruption and abuse. "

[note - Again, your argument seems to be that in direct contradiction to your accusation that my statement is racist in nature or in variance with the quote provided by Dr. King. To accuse my posting as being a racist "rant" when I clearly acknowledge that police abuse cuts across all races and needs to be addressed by a multi-racial coalition can only mean one of two things, either you didn't read what I clearly wrote or you are being purposefully obtuse.]
I apologize. I misread your OP.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:25 PM

222 posts, read 231,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I apologize. I misread your OP.

classy

Old 07-21-2015, 03:54 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
#kittehslivesmatter! #animalpeopleslivesmatter

I give a big thumbs-up to a group, that is a small percentage of the population, but still can be the tail-that-wags-the-dog....many time through threats of violence.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:45 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
One has to understand that the doctrine of white supremacy is what is shaping the narratives of many. In this doctrine, things must be interpreted /narrated in such a way that feeds the doctrine of white supremacy over blacks. Hence, blacks cannot be narrated as disproportionate victims for that would then explain their disproportionate behavior and socioeconomic dysfunction relative to whites. Ergo, in any talk of being victimized, in order for the doctrine of white supremacy of nature to hold true, it must be argued that whites have been and are just as much victims as blacks, in regards to racism, police brutality etc but that it is black’s inferior nature that account for the different reactions.

It does not take a rocket scientist to link disproportionate victimization to disproportionate socioeconomic dysfunction. However, if one wants to propagate the doctrine of black inferiority, one must first remove the victimization from being the probable cause of the dysfunction. Victimization is removed, by labeling it as an “excuse”, then probable cause, by default (if not asserted), is the nature of black people…ergo blacks nature being inferior to white nature.

This is why you always hear people mention the struggle of the Irish, Jews, Poles or their own family history of poverty and or discrimination and how they managed to rise above it....but collectively blacks cannot. This is not to suggest that those groups did not face discrimination and or persecution, but that their experience, regardless of how atrocious, was different than the black experience in this nation. Once you destroy a culture, you cut the legs out from under a people. Blacks were stripped of their culture, their names, and their lands…their foundation.

In light of that....you will rarely here people replace talk of black out of wedlock births or black crime with....."all"....by removing the qualifier "black". In fact, all races have children born of of wedlock and have individuals who perpetrate crime. However, the people who have a problem with the slogan "black lives matter"....don't have a problem with "black out of wedlock births" or "black on black crime" (as if there is no such thing as white on white crime).

Old 08-10-2015, 11:51 AM

774 posts, read 744,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Yeah the 'all lives matter' thing is childish.

Of course all lives matter. Saying 'X matters' is not the equivalent of saying 'only X matters.' But when 'Black Lives Matter' shows up as a result of a disproportionate amount of black people being shot, sometimes for relatively minor crimes, by cops, a bunch of reactionary idiots got upset that we weren't talking about them. And that's what this is. They're not the center of attention for a minute, and they set out to change that.

When a group feels marginalized and targeted by police forces, they have the right to remind everyone that they're important because in the current state of things, they feel we don't think that. They're not trying to be superior or take something from white people. Only white people who feel the have something to lose (but deny that white privilege is a thing) are toting this 'all lives matter' thing. Yes, all lives matter, but if you feel the need to say that, you're completely missing the point of saying black lives matter, or know the point and are deliberately fighting it. Either way, you sound like a ****.
You miss the point that the saying is racist. If a white group that was tired of gang activity in their area had started using #whitelivesmatter as a slogan for their cause, how long do you think it would have lasted? They would have been called a bunch of racists and been taken to school no matter if they were simply trying to point something out. Not to mention that no one is shouting it out in the streets of Chicago every time another brother drops dead at the hands of another brother. Show me a protest march and those signs waving in the air on a daily basis in Chicago without a dead thug as it's poster boy and perhaps it might be taken seriously. Until then it's just a directional sign for thugs, looters and those who want to make another buck they didn't earn.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:52 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
I think the phrase is a turd in the punchbowl. It stinks. Just does not resonate with me, because I have never felt otherwise. I even think all lives matter statement is so self-evident as to be meaningless.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:57 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,134 times
#BlackBehaviorMatters

Old 08-10-2015, 02:07 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Wish people realized it's not a black problem...

...it's the despicable, "thug life" inner city gangster BS subculture that's prevalent in all these problem neighborhoods. If you could get into people's heads you'd probably find that virtually every black prison inmate has bought into the appeal of it and led them to their current place in the world.

The color of someone's skin is irrelevant. All things good and bad about humans have their basis in human culture.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:52 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Yeah the 'all lives matter' thing is childish.

Of course all lives matter. Saying 'X matters' is not the equivalent of saying 'only X matters.' But when 'Black Lives Matter' shows up as a result of a disproportionate amount of black people being shot, sometimes for relatively minor crimes, by cops, a bunch of reactionary idiots got upset that we weren't talking about them. And that's what this is. They're not the center of attention for a minute, and they set out to change that.

When a group feels marginalized and targeted by police forces, they have the right to remind everyone that they're important because in the current state of things, they feel we don't think that. They're not trying to be superior or take something from white people. Only white people who feel the have something to lose (but deny that white privilege is a thing) are toting this 'all lives matter' thing. Yes, all lives matter, but if you feel the need to say that, you're completely missing the point of saying black lives matter, or know the point and are deliberately fighting it. Either way, you sound like a ****.

1. Disproportionate amount of blacks being shot by who? Cops? Only white cops, right? That is the meant assertion of BLM. How about the outrageous numbers of black on black murders having nothing to do with cops or white people? Do BLM then? **crickets**

2. Do you truly believe white privilege exists? Most white people have never experienced it. Why is it only white people who feel they have nothing to lose are toting this "all lives matter thing"? Please divulge.

3. There is no point in saying BLM other than to cause an unneeded stir. How about #whitelivesmatter? Are you missing the point?

Maybe you sound like a ****.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:29 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
More whites are killed by police than blacks.
1999-2111
Over the span of more than a decade, 2,151 whites died by being shot by police compared to 1,130 blacks.
Police kill more whites than blacks, but minority deaths generate more outrage: analysis - Washington Times

Until people quit playing the race card by making it about blacks instead of police brutality and lack of punishment to law enforcement nothing will be solved.
More black teens are killed, but to insinuate that every last one of them was a shy little wall flower who did nothing wrong is bull.

What you say in your last paragraph is the point: It's not about blacks or whites, it's about police brutality in general.

But let's keep playing the divide game, it's a nice distraction to keep everyone looking away from what the people "in charge" are doing.

Slowly boiling pot of water anyone? Jump on in, the water is nice and comfy right now. It might get a little warmer in the future, but by then, you'll be used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies