Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 06:30 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,120,791 times

Advertisements

Colt Defense lost a big military contract for its M4. That's what led to the chapter 11.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:33 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It seems they lost the M4 contract with the military.
Understandable since I have been dealing Title III weapons for years and my opinion is the Colt product is over priced junk.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:33 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
This took me by surprise because firearms sales have been booming, and Colt has big contracts with the government / military.

Colt Files for Bankruptcy, Seeks August Auction - WSJ

Colt Defense LLC filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection Sunday, warning its business is in a fragile state and it needs a quick sale to survive.

The bankruptcy filing was expected for the famed gun maker, which failed to win the support of bondholders for a debt-reshaping agreement. Colt had said if it couldn’t reach a deal, it would put itself up for sale in bankruptcy

Colt Defense, is the military grade side of the business.
Colt doesn't make drones, (the new warfare) and their defense side of the business is way down, with less military spending on small arms.

Springfield Arms has had the bulk of the military contract for small arms. The 30.06 round, was the round of choice for the US military for almost a decade.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:38 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
So it's the government supplier that's filing bankruptcy and not the civilian arms company?
They spilt in 2002 and reunited in 2013

Old 06-15-2015, 06:59 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Well, you have cheaper innovative companies like Kel Tec who can't make enough firearms to keep buyers happy. They literally refuse to expand not wanting to go into debt and supply cannot nearly keep up with demand.
But I have a few thoughts. I do remember reading that Obama was pushing the banking industry to not lend money to firearms manufacturers. Whatever became of that I don't know, especially since Obama turned out to be the firearms industry bestest buddy. Then too, Cerberus Capital Management( what a name) was buying up gun and ammo manufacturers left and right and they're invested in by both left( Soros) and right wingers( Dan Quayle). Maybe somebody's decided to make Colt ripe for acquisition and ran the company into the ground( only on paper possibly) and they want a steal of a deal.
I never liked AR 15s( or AK 47s either) so its no loss either way. And Colt's firearms were definitely high end pricey.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:03 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
Colt Defense lost a big military contract for its M4. That's what led to the chapter 11.
No tears when a crony corp goes under. Win for the taxpayers.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:56 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
FN (Fabrique National) got the contract for the M4 carbine in '13 or so. I think they had the M16 contract for some time before that. Keeping the M4 with Colt until then was a bone thrown to Colt Defense to keep them alive.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:31 AM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
FN (Fabrique National) got the contract for the M4 carbine in '13 or so. I think they had the M16 contract for some time before that. Keeping the M4 with Colt until then was a bone thrown to Colt Defense to keep them alive.
FN is also the parent company of Browning and has a licensing agreement to produce Winchester guns.

Cerebus owns Remington, which recently acquired Marlin and H&R.

Colt may very well have moved to Texas for both political and financial reasons. Beretta moved its USA production from Maryland to Tennessee. The stated reasons were the political atmosphere concerning guns (recent "common sense" changes which made a couple of the guns the company made in the state illegal) and the general business climate. Managers I know are saying that moving the administrative headquarters from Maryland to Virginia will happen in the next few years.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:38 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,442 times
Quote:
This took me by surprise because firearms sales have been booming, and Colt has big contracts with the government / military.

Colt Files for Bankruptcy, Seeks August Auction - WSJ

Colt Defense LLC filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection Sunday, warning its business is in a fragile state and it needs a quick sale to survive.

The bankruptcy filing was expected for the famed gun maker, which failed to win the support of bondholders for a debt-reshaping agreement. Colt had said if it couldn’t reach a deal, it would put itself up for sale in bankruptcy
I don't know much about gun sales. But gun ownership is declining.

Gun ownership is now back at the low point it reached in 2010: Only 32 percent of Americans own a firearm or live with someone who does, compared with about half the population in the late 1970s and early 1980s, according to the 2014 General Social Survey (GSS). The survey is a project of independent research organization NORC at the University of Chicago, with principal funding from the National Science Foundation.

The poll also found that 22 percent of Americans personally own a firearm, down from a high of 31 percent in 1985. The percentage of men who own a firearm is down from 50 percent in 1980 to 35 percent in 2014, while the number of women who own a gun has remained relatively steady since 1980, coming in at 12 percent in 2014.

http://www.newsweek.com/us-gun-owner...eclines-312822

Old 06-15-2015, 08:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
So the Colt Company has gone bankrupt. It seems to me the company was being played with by the financiers with a lot of lobbying but without any real investment in technology. Concentration on the finances instead of the product will always destroy a company.

Fortunately there will always be a lot of 1911 .45 Colts available on the used market. Most will shoot as well as needed and the prices will be reasonable. Same applies to all the used Single Action Army revolvers made by just about everyone.

PS: Those statistics indicate a huge market waiting to be served. Over of 75% of the American population is a huge number of potential customers. All we need is a cheap simple weapon that can be used to defend a person or a home. I think it is called a Coach Gun. That is a short barreled 12 or 16 gauge shotgun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies