Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 09:02 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
People do blame the baby boomers for lots of things. But the one thing I think they did a truly horrible job at was in raising their kids.
LOL, that's kind of a big thing to screw up on. Reminds me of the internet meme: "You had one job...."

Old 06-16-2015, 09:07 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
LOL, that's kind of a big thing to screw up on. Reminds me of the internet meme: "You had one job...."
Indeed.

But the results speak for themselves.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:08 AM

31,003 posts, read 22,045,160 times
I think I'm going to fall back on the Trans gender analogy. There are probably 10s of thousands of Whites that are culturally Black and 10s of thousands of Blacks that are culturally black, and many that are neutral, so why not ie. Eminen = Black, Herman Cain = White.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:56 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Do you believe anything you just wrote?
Yes, the person does, unfortunately.

It's a broken record on CD with some of these people.

I'm black. I get NO SPECIAL PRIVILEGES that any other american can get.

If I apply for social services, they're not going to give me extra money and foodstamps for being BLACK.

When I apply for jobs online and they ask me to self-identify, I ALWAYS feel like checking the "white" or "other" box to see if they'll call me, because I feel they'll be discriminatory to me if they knew my race.

For all the years that I've been black, I know NO ONE of african american ancestry that has received any type of special privileges for being BLACK and BLACK ALONE.

If the rundown roach/rat infested slums of the inner cities for black and hispanics is considered "special privileges", then I'd rather they "keep" it.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:30 AM

280 posts, read 325,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
The vocal minority don't represent all of us. You're not being any better than the bigots on this site who make dumb statements about Blacks as a whole.
I thought the same thing when I read that comment about black men. What an ignorant thing to say.

If I were black, I'd be insulted by her insistence on identifying as black because she's a pathological liar. But as a human, I'm insulted that she is a parent and a teacher, and chose not to use her education and her wits to excel, she chose deception.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:43 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
They way I view it: because of her deception, she passed other people who were honest about who they were. She used black identity to get ahead, and stole a position from someone.
Right, I wasn't defending her though, but Kareem.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:51 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
For all the years that I've been black, I know NO ONE of african american ancestry that has received any type of special privileges for being BLACK and BLACK ALONE.
I don't want to be argumentative or anything, just share my experiences. I work for a large company and I know for a fact that people of color (big bucket: Black, Asian, Hispanic) and women get preferential treatment for obtaining interviews. Also, when it is a close call on selecting candidates here, color and gender matter. Our company has a stated goal to increase diversity, which I believe is good in the end, but is does lead to biased selections right now.

At my last job, I was aware of similar practices.

No one is receiving benefits for being a specific race, ethnicity, or gender alone, but on close calls these groups get the advantage.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:52 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Like you the poster is painting black people with a broad brush. Every black person isn't looking for handouts. To be more precise MOST black people aren't looking for handouts.
Where did the poster say All Blacks? Or is the real issue the poster didn't say 'some.' Your post is a good example of making things up! My post wasn't addressing handouts.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:26 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
IMO, she doesn't represent any net gain or loss to anyone, other than herself. She is just another garden variety nut case, except her nutty misadventures included a position of authority. The world will move on without her.

If anything, the sheer abundance of comedic value has been her greatest work of all. She is so mentally ill that, even after being found out, she attempted to blame the public for not understanding race and ethnicity. In other words, switching race can be done; it's that the rest of the world doesn't understand. The only way this could get any better would be if the NAACP had canned her and then she suddenly turned Scandinavian again and sued for discrimination.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:29 AM

31,003 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I don't want to be argumentative or anything, just share my experiences. I work for a large company and I know for a fact that people of color (big bucket: Black, Asian, Hispanic) and women get preferential treatment for obtaining interviews. Also, when it is a close call on selecting candidates here, color and gender matter. Our company has a stated goal to increase diversity, which I believe is good in the end, but is does lead to biased selections right now.

At my last job, I was aware of similar practices.

No one is receiving benefits for being a specific race, ethnicity, or gender alone, but on close calls these groups get the advantage.
I work for a large multinational Engineering firm and it is similar, except we already have a large presence of people from East Asia, South America and various other parts of the world, along with Americans of with similar backgrounds. Black Americans and women are highly recruited and are over represented compared to those with Engineering degrees in the US. I agree, it is biased, but I don't really see anyone who complains about it, and this is a very conservative industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies