Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2015, 11:51 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Not biological to the point that we are different because we are of different races. There are biological differences between me and my fellow white friend because we have different ancestry. She comes from northern Europe, my family also comes from the Mediterranean. That makes us look different and have slightly different genes and characteristics. Her family is predisposed to type 1 diabetes, mine is not. She has multiple autoimmune diseases, I do not. Those are biological differences. But we're still both human. We're both females. We're both white.

Transgender people actually have an imbalance within their bodies. Something is missing, or something that should not be there has replaced what should be there. It's a chemical malfunction that happens in the womb, likely. Like I said before - something went wrong. This is impossible to occur for different races because there is no biological difference between races. Nothing can go wrong that will suddenly make you black or white or Asian in the womb (not without any family history of someone marrying a black guy two generations ago or something - even then you are biracial and can identity with either race or both races) and give you an identity crisis from a very young age.

If someone starts to "feel" a different race, it occurs later in life. It occurs after exposure to other races (and finally understanding the concept of race because somebody has told it to you) and knowing there are cultural differences between both races and ethnicities, there are perks and drawbacks to being any race (because of the social construct of the idea that race matters), and maybe after you've spent significant time with people of another race and start to feel very comfortable around them. A transgender person knows before they can even conceptualize gender, sex, and what the hell is going on with themselves. All they know is something feels wrong. It is not a choice they make. A three year child can tell his mother he feels like a girl even though he has no clue why or how. It's not the same for race because there is no biological difference between races on the same level as that between a male and female - different sex organs, different hormones that causes that change at a biological level. That's the difference.

If someone wants to call themselves another race ad identify with that, whatever. Do what you want. I have a problem with people claiming it's the same as being transgender because the process is not the same. It literally cannot be, on a biological level.

Skin color is due primarily to the presence of a pigment called melanin.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:00 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
If someone wants to call themselves another race and identify with that, whatever. Do what you want. I have a problem with people claiming it's the same as being transgender because the process is not the same. It literally cannot be, on a biological level.
I couldn't care less about the process. As far as society goes both are people who are uncomfortable in the body they were born with and the role society has assigned them. Our society is now poised to allow what a person feels to be the determining factor in how they are defined as opposed to biology, it is discriminatory and disingenuous to just limit that to gender.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:06 PM

625 posts, read 624,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
My sentiment exactly. Yep, it is coming to Fruition. As long as you are a consenting adult there are no sacred cows. First Gays, Bis, TG, now Trans-racials. Next Polygamy and Polyamory. Actually, as long as they are consenting adults I really don't feel I should interfere with their right to do what they want. Having to identify every rapidly changing sub group is beyond most peoples ability though.
Next? There are quite a few folks already living the polygamy & polyamory life style.

The FLDS Church is estimated to have 6,000 to 10,000 members residing in the sister cities of Hildale, Utah, and Colorado City, Arizona; Eldorado, Texas; Westcliffe, Colorado;[8] Mancos, Colorado; Creston and Bountiful, British Columbia; and Pringle, South Dakota.[9] There are also developing communities near Benjamín Hill, Sonora (south of Nogales in the state of Sonora);[10] Ensenada, Baja California (south of Tijuana);[11] and Boise City, Oklahoma.[12]

Old 06-16-2015, 12:07 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Considering the change in gene expression and brain development and changes between childhood and up to and after adolescence there's no need for it to have to occur in childhood. Presumably, if we are talking genetic predisposition, we are not talking about the same combination of genes.
Yet every story of a transgender person I have ever heard gone public, either through blog posts, news articles, opinion articles, or TV/news interviews, involves the chid knowing before he or she even entered kindergarten. In many cases, the parents also knew from the time their child was that very young age. Seems the transgender, oftentimes even gay, feelings occur during early childhood, for both the child and the parents. You know early on. This isn't something you make up one day. No one WANTS to make something like this up, given the social stigma and how much harder it makes living life for that person, feeling trapped in another body or liking those of the same sex.

Yet for "transrace", it doesn't necessarily have to come out in childhood? But it's "just as logical" as transgender, to quote the title of this thread?

Also, for the person who spoke of "facts" and quoted that doctor, I would love for anyone to show me a documented case of a "transracial" person, preferably one who knew from age 5 or so that he or she was "supposed to be *insert race*" rather than his or her actual race. Please show me any study that examines the idea of transracism. It seems this idea just popped up out of nowhere when this Rachel Dolezal thing came out. Before then, I had never heard of "transracism." So if people like me should not share my opinion as if it's fact, how about everyone else do the same. Please show me evidence. Show me any documented case or study that attempts to explain this new idea of "transracism" and linking it to transgenderism.

There is being transrace like Rachel, starting around college, whatever her motives - okay I'm fine with that. But then there is identifying with that "true race" at a young age, like those who are transgender identify with their true gender at a young age. So for this thread's title to be true, for transracism to be just as logical as trangenderism, I think someone needs to provide evidence that transracism occurs similarly to transgenderism. Studies looking into biological causes, whether they were validated or not (the research into it alone is intriguing and shows the thought is there), and studies documenting and explaining cases of transracial children who know from a young age they are supposed to be another race.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:08 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
"Isn't transracial just as logical as transgender?"

Not even a little. Transgender people have, almost across the board, felt for their entire lives that they were born in the wrong body and almost universally experience some kind of bigotry and attacks for trying to feel normal.
This "transracial" woman just told lies to pass herself off as someone she's not. She grew up white and middle class but told stories about being physically attacked as a child by racist white people. Her parents adopted a black child but she's ashamed of them and denied/denies their existence simply because they're white, making her a racist. She posted pictures with some random black guy and claimed he was her father. She asked her brother and friends not to tell anyone that she's white. She put on spray tan or something every day and did all kinds of stuff to her hair to trick people into thinking she's black. And now that she's busted she won't even admit what she did or apologize for lying to so many people.
Being black or biracial carries cultural weight. Even if she never told lies about being whipped and assaulted as a child just for being biracial she would still be belittling what it is to be a minority in this country.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:08 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I couldn't care less about the process. As far as society goes both are people who are uncomfortable in the body they were born with and the role society has assigned them. Our society is now poised to allow what a person feels to be the determining factor in how they are defined as opposed to biology, it is discriminatory and disingenuous to just limit that to gender.
I agree, the process shouldn't matter. I was thinking about trans age and it's not so crazy either. I know kids who feel more like adults and relate to them better. I bet a brain scan would show a more mature brain for thei age. Should they get adult rights?

Old 06-16-2015, 12:09 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
I couldn't care less about the process.
That's a telling statement.

You could not care less about how or why this happens, and how or why transracism and transgenderism may not be logically (or scientifically) the same. Excellent.

Quote:
As far as society goes both are people who are uncomfortable in the body they were born with and the role society has assigned them. Our society is now poised to allow what a person feels to be the determining factor in how they are defined as opposed to biology, it is discriminatory and disingenuous to just limit that to gender.
That's also a telling statement.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:14 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
I get the point you are trying to make, but being a lesbian is a different issue from being a transgender person. You can be homosexual WITHOUT being a transgender person.

Certainly, Rachel can identify as black. For whatever reason, identifying as black felt comfortable and right for her; for her being black was a way to get her needs met.

It does seem she went to the head of the class as a black woman, where she might have been overlooked and/or would have had to work harder, longer doing the same work as a white woman.
Yes, I know that homosexuality and transgenderism are not the same. Years ago, when Chastity came out as a lesbian, her real issue of transgenderism was still unrecognized both by herself and her mother. The issue then was her sexual preference for women and that's how both she and her mother perceived it. Only in recent years has Chastity made the transition from female to male.

Rachel Dolezal is another issue entirely. For whatever reason, she launched herself as a persecuted black woman and cooked up a litany of lies about herself, her parentage, her background and her life experiences. She lied through her teeth to create a whole new identity for herself. Did she think her chances for achieving success were better as a persecuted black woman than as a white woman? We may never know her deepest reasons for the deception but it is clear to me that she is a pathological liar with many psychological issues.

Last edited by Seagrape Grove; 06-16-2015 at 12:22 PM..

Old 06-16-2015, 12:15 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I once had a friend who confided in me that he had been living a lie the entire time he knew me. I was fully expecting him to tell me he was gay and I was totally prepared to accept that and not let it affect our friendship. I was going to tell him it was fine and I suspected all along anyway and it wouldn't change a thing. But the reality was a lot worse. He told me that he was never a Red Sox fan and that for his entire life he has been a Yankees fan and he needed to get it out in the open. His father was a Yankees fan, his father's father was a Yankees fan and he was proud to be a Yankees fan himself. Then he took off his Red Sox hat, put on his Yankees hat and expected me to act like nothing had changed. I never spoke to him again.
Trans-sportsfan. Say it isn't sooooooooooo......!!!!!!

Old 06-16-2015, 12:17 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
What about transclass? Meaning, I was born poor but felt deep down inside myself that I was a wealthy person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies