Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 07:44 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
You see the speck of sawdust in another's eye but don't notice the log in your own. Which is understandable, because to do so would take away your persecution complex.
Exactly what "persecution complex" would that be? I'm an atheist, but unlike many, I'm not a hypocrite. Oh, BTW, I don't feel "persecuted" for being an atheist.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:45 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
This ridiculous whining by right wing Christian conservatives is tiresome.

Imagine that ... they are trying to play the victim while opposing the civil rights and religious liberties of everyone else.
Christians seem to have this persecution complex

Old 06-16-2015, 07:46 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I happen to agree with both Geller and the guy that wrote the original article (being attacked in CSNnews). Both have exactly the same right to free speech. The difference? Leftists want to muzzle (or at the least, viciously attack) Geller when she offends radical Islamists. Yet they support those that offend Christians. No surprise, leftists have little in the line of integrity or consistency.
You don't "get" what religious tolerance is all about, do you. Geller poking at the bear is no different than the artist a while back who put Jesus-on-the-cross in a jar of urine. Neither one of these things is morally acceptable to people on the left but because we have freedom of religion in this country we have to tolerate their stupidity. Speaking out against this kind of stupidity, however, is not the same thing as wanting to "muzzle" someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
You see the speck of sawdust in another's eye but don't notice the log in your own. Which is understandable, because to do so would take away your persecution complex.
Amen to that the comment to Toyman!

Old 06-16-2015, 07:51 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
The issue I have is how some people in the public eye can openly wear their hatred for Christians on their sleeve (Bill Maher, for example), make outright hateful and bigoted opinions, and suffer not an ounce of consequence. This type of bigotry that would greatly harm their careers if it was aimed at any 'protected' group is fair game when directed towards Christians.

The double-standard is simply unfair. Compare how the same people who attack the Duggars for the actions of their son have given Lena Dunham a pass for openly and flippantly admitting to molesting her sister for ten years. There are some who absolutely delight in tearing down high-profile Christians, like Tim Tebow. This guy was ridiculed relentlessly by Liberals -- meanwhile he is the type of guy who opened a children's hospital in the Philippines. Just recently, he sponsored 44 proms for 7000 individuals with special needs. Rather than the admiration he deserves, he's met with hate and ridicule for his public displays of his faith.
Bill Maher HAS spoken out against Islam, as far as I know he still has a show.

The Duggar issue was about a TEEN molesting his sisters and his parents hiding that. Dunham wrote about it herself, she did not molest several people while her parents hid it. She also did not claim that other would molest your children when trying to get a law passed against others while he was a molester himself.

Tebow is a great guy. His parents are great people. He was a great college player, but was not so good in the big leagues. I'm from the heart of Tebow country, but even there people were getting tired of the showboating in the endzone.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You don't "get" what religious tolerance is all about, do you. Geller poking at the bear is no different than the artist a while back who put Jesus-on-the-cross in a jar of urine. Neither one of these things is morally acceptable to people on the left but because we have freedom of religion in this country we have to tolerate their stupidity. Speaking out against this kind of stupidity, however, is not the same thing as wanting to "muzzle" someone.

Amen to that the comment to Toyman!
I agree with you. The issue-very, very few on the left spoke out against the "Pi** Christ" artist. The vast majority supported him and attacked those Christians that dared to speak out about against such an offensive act against their entire religion. "Free speech" was the mob-speak of the day from the left. Yet when someone dares condemn radical Islam, they are attacked and persecuted by the very same "free thinkers" on the left. Not all, but a great many are simple minded hypocrites.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:53 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
So, do you say the same concerning Jeff Tayler and Salon? Were they "stupid" for attacking those that are Christians? As opposed to focusing on those radical Christians that are carrying off suicide bombings, beheadings and FGM in the name of their superstition? Were they "inciting violence"? If innocent people are hurt when radical Christians attack the Salon offices, will you condemn Salon for their "vile acts"? (as, for example, many on the left do Geller?).
I don't know who Jeff Tayler is and I don't read salon. So, I have said nothing about either.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhorsewoman View Post

Exactly what religion are the majority of leftists?
"Ignorant" isn't a religion.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I don't know who Jeff Tayler is and I don't read salon. So, I have said nothing about either.
Well, considering that his/their article is what the entire thread is discussing.... Might be worth reading the link in the OP.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:00 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
I agree with you. The issue-very, very few on the left spoke out against the "Pi** Christ" artist. The vast majority supported him and attacked those Christians that dared to speak out about against such an offensive act against their entire religion. "Free speech" was the mob-speak of the day from the left. Yet when someone dares condemn radical Islam, they are attacked and persecuted by the very same "free thinkers" on the left. Not all, but a great many are simple minded hypocrites.
I wasn't aware they took a poll on whether or not people on the left supported the artist. You're attempting to make up facts that you have no idea whether or not are true. The few people who in-your-face defended the artist's freedom of speech to do what he did are NO DIFFERENT than people like you who defend Geller yet you refuse to see that. That is what makes you a hypocrite.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:04 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
bnwahahaha....oh the poor attacked Christians.

Please. Your article starts with:

If you can't handle a bit of ridicule, then maybe you folks shouldn't feel like you should force your religion on everyone around you. Is your faith in your god so weak?
Tell that to the bearded ones..will yah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies