Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 06:57 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,879 times

Advertisements

Since the 1960s millions of purely white people, of utterly european ancestry and appearance, have qualified for "affirmative action".

Except they didn't have to make up a story about being 1/32 indian, or put on a wig and pretend to be black. For them, just having a spanish surname, and being from Cuba or Puerto Rico was enough to qualify as "minority" students.

Sonia Sotomayor, was part of the first generation of fake white "minorities", who were victims of nothing but claimed discriminated minority status for entrance into prestigious schools.

...Why is no one angry at them?! Isn't that phony too? Why are you angry at Elizabeth Warren but not Ted Cruz?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 07:32 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,770,776 times
Justice Sotomayor is a "wise Latina" who "with the richness of her experiences" is able to "reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life".

Old 06-16-2015, 07:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Yes, but during affirmative action days that was often legitimate. I remember a friend suing the police department that kept turning him down despite being #1 on the list because he was white. His lawyer was able to prove in court that his ethic background was under-represented on the force with the number of residents from his European country, where both of his parents had been born.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:55 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Since the 1960s millions of purely white people, of utterly european ancestry and appearance, have qualified for "affirmative action".

Except they didn't have to make up a story about being 1/32 indian, or put on a wig and pretend to be black. For them, just having a spanish surname, and being from Cuba or Puerto Rico was enough to qualify as "minority" students.

Sonia Sotomayor, was part of the first generation of fake white "minorities", who were victims of nothing but claimed discriminated minority status for entrance into prestigious schools.

...Why is no one angry at them?! Isn't that phony too? Why are you angry at Elizabeth Warren but not Ted Cruz?
You make some sense, but I think it's the extent that this kook has taken it. In my mind there's a difference between someone claiming to be 1/32 Indian or a guy with a last name like Cruz claiming to be Latino for a little street cred vs. a blonde haired, blue eyed, White woman dying her hair black, getting a perm to make it curly, wearing black face & swearing up and down that she's actually Black?

Old 06-16-2015, 08:00 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
If I apply to be a minority owned business, in order to corral some very lucrative federal contracts, who is it that would determine whether I be black, white or in between?

If I say I am black who are you to say I am not?

Old 06-16-2015, 08:01 PM

900 posts, read 375,515 times
But were white societies that create these stupid laws ... The white man was the own degenerador of their culture.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:02 PM

171 posts, read 181,152 times
There is no Hispanic race but somehow it's treated like one. Hispanic is an ethnicity just like German, Irish, etc. Personally, I think the US gov't has promoted the use of the term Hispanic, has promoted getting more people they could call "Hispanic" to get into this country in order to combat the rising black population which they(the gov't) felt needed to be subdued or the country would suffer due to more welfare, crime, etc. Just call me Juan

Old 06-17-2015, 03:11 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Well, I'm one of those Spanish-Americans the OP is talking about, but in the past i've been treated no different than a black or brown Latino because Spanish is my native language and my last name is Spanish. My experience as a "white man" as described in the OP is radically different than a "white" of the OP's extraction. In the US, white mainly refers to Americans of predominantly northern European ancestry, not southern European. When "white" people stop saying things like, "oh well you're not actually white white like me" then we'll continue claiming minority benefits, ok? There's a reason why we call you gringos or güeros.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:44 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
In the US, white mainly refers to Americans of predominantly northern European ancestry, not southern European.
No. The definition of white includes all people of european descent. Plenty of other "southern europeans" like italians, and greeks, are considered white.

For all of U.S History Spanish-Americans have been considered white.

Quote:
When "white" people stop saying things like, "oh well you're not actually white white like me" then we'll continue claiming minority benefits, ok? There's a reason why we call you gringos or güeros.
That's a mockery of what it means to be part of a "discriminated minority group". Spanish Americans have never been historically discriminated against in the U.S

Old 06-17-2015, 05:55 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
No. The definition of white includes all people of european descent. Plenty of other "southern europeans" like italians, and greeks, are considered white.

For all of U.S History Spanish-Americans have been considered white.

That's a mockery of what it means to be part of a "discriminated minority group". Spanish Americans have never been historically discriminated against in the U.S
Unless they happen to be born in Puerto Rico, or any other place in Latin America, then we are automatically "Mexican". You wouldn't know this if you've never experienced it for yourself, which of course you have not. I've gotten surprised interviewers who have told me on many occasions, "I thought you were Mexican!" just because of my last name. I avoid going out too much in the sun now, I tan too well and then I get stares because I look like a "Muslim". SMH, Republican towns, can't wait to get out of here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies