Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 07:17 PM

42,846 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
It might be time to find sources other than Fox News and talk radio if you want to learn any actual facts. Compared to where things were when he took over, there is no rational dispute that Obama has made substantial, quantifiable improvements in many areas.

GDP is up
Stock market is at record highs
Job growth best in more than a decade
Disengagement and drawdown from two foreign wars
Largest reduction in number of people without health insurance ever in history of US
DADT gone
DOMA gone
Legalized gay marriage a virtual certainty nationwide
careful there or some conservative heads will explode!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
For the O-cult, Obamessiah can do no wrong.
too cute by half

Old 06-17-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"They pledged to be obstructionist."

A post to support your claim is in order. And NOT some out of context single quote but, the ENTIRE thing.
The New New Deal: Why the GOP Became the Party of No | TIME.com

The Conspiracy to Commit Legislative Constipation | Vanity Fair

Robert Draper Book: GOP's Anti-Obama Campaign Started Night Of Inauguration

John Boehner: 'We will not compromise' - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com

Need more proof?

Old 06-17-2015, 07:30 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Yeah, it's way off.
If it was say December and someone wanted to say President Obama has been President for 7 years ok.
But now in the middle of June?

Seven years ago was the middle of June 2008.

Then Senator Obama wasn't even the Democratic nominee for President at that point. He hadn't even locked up the Democratic nomination.

So saying he was President in June 2008( which is 7years ago) is historically way way off and again shows a level of ignorance and/or dishonesty.
Well, it is all about the dishonesty. After all, if we're to believe the Faux News crowd, the economy crashed because "Obama ruined it" or some drek. Ignore the fact it peaked in 2006 to 2007 and crashed in the fall of 2008... no, no... in fairy-tale regressive land, everything in America was fine until "that man" got into the White House.

As for a lack of leadership, people also like to forget that we had 8 years of a worthless regressive president before Obama, and while our current president is hardly stellar, at least he didn't preside over the worst economic collapse since the Great Depression - brought to you by the big banks (who were Bailed Out, of course!) and the idiot regressives who controlled every branch of government for 6 years (2000 to 2006), and still couldn't think of anything better to do other than start a few unwinnable wars.

There's plenty of fault to be found in our current leaders of all parties, but one has to be a blind hypocrite to think this problem began with Obama.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I wish it was 7 years of do nothing. He's been incredibly destructive, from Obamacare to his war on coal. The coal industry is teetering on the brink. Economically we are stalled at best (1st quarter GDP actually contracted), record numbers not in the labor force. Racially more divided than ever. Foreign policy is a laughingstock. He's strained relationships with allies and pandered to enemies. He's been a disaster.
The EPA Doesn't Kill Coal Jobs. Better Mining Does - Bloomberg Business

Old 06-17-2015, 07:32 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post

A nothing Presidency is quite nice after the last regime. 9/11, Katrina, and that whole middle eastern mess that continues to this day.

That regime sure knew how to handle an emergency. Lol.

I feel like Peabody talking to Sherman....

And how, exactly, would you and your superior administration have handled it?

Since you are a lefty attacking the right let me change that.

How would you and your dictatorship have handled it differently?

Old 06-17-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
I am considered elderly although I don't think of myself that way. Retired for five years, I know of three decent jobs I could take right now. If people can't find jobs now it's because don't want to put in the effort.

Car and cash home sales are way up. Home values are up. New construction is up. Foreclosure sales are few and far between in most areas.

Go to any Home Depot and try to get someone to help you with a new appliance or kitchen remodel. They're all busy.

Check out the restaurant parking lots. Full of cars. People are out spending because they can.

Thing are much , much better than they were seven years ago.

Retirees took the hit on retirement accounts ten years ago. We will never forget what Bush/Cheney did to the economy and our futures and a lot of the older people can't afford to let it happen again.
And guess what? WE VOTE. GOP/RIP
THIS ^ I'm retired too and I completely agree. We have been trying to bid a job for a patio and contractors are booked 3 weeks out just for estimates. The economy is stronger than it's been in a very long time. We do have a big problem with wage stagnation but that's been going on since the late 80's and we can thank our Republican friends for a good deal of that, they gave us Ronnie Raygun who basically threw the doors open to illegal immigration (what better way to drive down wages) and did his best to kill private sector unions. Gave people EITC so that they would work for sub poverty wages, raised taxes on the middle class and ran up a huge deficit. Then we got Baby Bush, started wars with a credit card and sat on his a$$ while the economy collapsed due to unregulated derivative trading.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
This is the consequence of people's ignorance. A lot of folks did not read up on Barry or know anything about him by the time he got elected. Even some media types didn't know anything about him. But a majority of folks decided to elect him anyway, some of them (tragically) because of just the color of his skin. I knew about Barry long before the 2008 elections, and I did not vote for him. Why? Because I'm an informed voter. I also vote for principles, not ideology.

Yes, Barry's certainly been a joke, but that was his modus operandi when he decided to run for public office. And America is paying a high price for this madness. He's operating under the guise of the presidency as a means to destroy and dismantle whatever foundations we have in this country, along with the sovereignty of this great nation. That's his plan. That's why it's important for Americans to learn about the candidates running for office before making a choice at the polls.
OMFG

Old 06-17-2015, 07:46 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Well, it is all about the dishonesty. After all, if we're to believe the Faux News crowd, the economy crashed because "Obama ruined it" or some drek. Ignore the fact it peaked in 2006 to 2007 and crashed in the fall of 2008... no, no... in fairy-tale regressive land, everything in America was fine until "that man" got into the White House.

As for a lack of leadership, people also like to forget that we had 8 years of a worthless regressive president before Obama, and while our current president is hardly stellar, at least he didn't preside over the worst economic collapse since the Great Depression - brought to you by the big banks (who were Bailed Out, of course!) and the idiot regressives who controlled every branch of government for 6 years (2000 to 2006), and still couldn't think of anything better to do other than start a few unwinnable wars.

There's plenty of fault to be found in our current leaders of all parties, but one has to be a blind hypocrite to think this problem began with Obama.
I'd say President Obama is a fairly strong leader. I think history will be very very good to his legacy.

I think, his Presidency will be seen as the start of at least 2 trends.

The ascendency of minorities into positions of national power and the start of more liberal governance.

President Obama is far from perfect, I think the largest mistake he made was taking a second stimulus off the table.

I think him wasting time in 2011 trying to reduce the deficit by gutting social security and or Medicare to get tax reform with conservatives would have greatly tarnished his record.

Also his allowing conservatives to enact the sequestration bill in 2011 because he was allowing them to play games over government funding were huge unforced errors( he should have did in 2011 what he did in 2013, which was punk and cow conservatives and dare them to shut down the government or not raise the debt ceiling, notice since President Obama punked conservatives in 2013 it hasn't happened since) that have slowed economic growth slightly.

The NSA spying on Americans continuation is troubling as well.

You are right about Bush he was a disaster.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:10 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,726 times
Let me guess, OP...you're a fan of that senile old coot Reagan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies