Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 09:39 PM

192 posts, read 204,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
Will never happen. They have the politicians wrapped around their fingers. Democrats and corruption remember?
Police and Fire Unions are out of control. They've become parasites on their local municipalities.

Couple years ago here in SoCal there were a few city council members who were trying to reduce Police benefits because they were facing budget issues and benefits had also grown to unsustainable levels.

What happened?

The Police Union hired a private investigator firm (which was even made up many former police officers) who subsequently and illegally tracked them with gps devices, filed false DUI reports, and other shady things in attempt to get them falsely arrested to either blackmail or launch smear campaign to push those council members out of office.

This same firm represents over 100 other police unions around the country.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...icer-pensions/

http://reason.com/archives/2012/10/2...alifornia-city

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 06:00 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
Quote:
Dude, I'm from there. They split to Florida the second they get their pension and lifetime medical/dental.

And the reason the real estate is so expensive is because everyone else has to pay for the government employees triple platinum lifestyle.
Check it out first, Real Estate taxes are low compared to the rest of the NYC Metro area. No pension from any company or govt. allows you to move to NYC unless you own the property or have a rent controlled apt., of course if you are in the top 1% you are there already.

This is a story the Post likes to drag out every few years to try and get people to read more then the sports pages.

The Post is the worst paper in the city and its owned by the same guy that owns Fox, WSJ and foreign rags.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:08 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Well then my apoligies. You've been duped and I hope you wake up soon.
And I hope you wake up and stop being jealous of other people's situations...or do something about your own. If firefighter is such an awesome deal, then become one. Prison guards have good compensation packages and can retire after twenty years also. You want that job???

Old 07-30-2015, 06:10 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times
Quote:
Dude, I'm from there. They split to Florida the second they get their pension and lifetime medical/dental.

And the reason the real estate is so expensive is because everyone else has to pay for the government employees triple platinum lifestyle.
Uh...no. Perhaps the most ridiculous comment I've seen there in a while.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:11 AM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,558 times
Most firefighters and police officers (and their unions) vote GOP. I say cut their pensions and bust their unions.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:13 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
And no, their former jobs don't even make the top 15 most dangerous.

"Firefighters who retired last year are pulling in annual pensions averaging $100,636 because the majority left on disability and is collecting three-quarters of their final salaries, a watchdog group said Tuesday.

"Eight of the retirees are taking in $200,000 or more a year.

"Officials said that 66 percent of all firefighters are currently receiving disability pensions."

2014 FDNY retirees taking in $100K pensions | New York Post
So what? They deserve it!

Old 07-30-2015, 06:22 AM

10,179 posts, read 11,166,444 times
My grandfather was a firefighter in Yonkers NY - he died in a fire...

Why does one care what they retire with??? Every time they go out into a fire - they risk their lives, inhale smoke, etc..

Old 07-30-2015, 06:59 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,736,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
My grandfather was a firefighter in Yonkers NY - he died in a fire...

Why does one care what they retire with??? Every time they go out into a fire - they risk their lives, inhale smoke, etc..
Well unfortuantely money does not grow on trees.

While I am sure most of us would love to see these people have luch retirements the taxpayer is tapped out. Talk to the municipalities, cities and states who waste our tax dollars on corruption and petty projects.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:13 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Well unfortuantely money does not grow on trees.

While I am sure most of us would love to see these people have luch retirements the taxpayer is tapped out. Talk to the municipalities, cities and states who waste our tax dollars on corruption and petty projects.
Except it pretty much does. Money has no inherent value-the institutions that control it and profit from it have many people brainwashed into thinking it does but it only has value because we the people acknowledge it as such.

PEOPLE are inherently valuable, and we could pay/reward people with any form of currency-preferably one not controlled by a private and international institution that charges us interest ala the Federal Reserve. Once the people gain control of their own currency, thing will fall into place. Right now corruption is seeping throughout society because it is so corrupt at the Top-The Federal Reserve and their "too big to fail" banks set the precedent.

What I'm saying is-don't complain about Firefighters EARNING a Pension/Retiring but be blind to the fact that the Federal Reserve has created-out of thin air-over $4 Trillion since 2009 via "quantitative easing" that has gone to less than 1% of the population.

They didn't even have to cut it down from a tree-it was created out of thin air.

It's sick to me how anyone can complain about a worker EARNING money or retirement but never make a peep at the leeching class that rake in Trillions in UNEARNED income.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:18 AM

192 posts, read 204,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
So what? They deserve it!
How so? Because there job has a element of danger? Shouldn't a Infranty Staff Seargent in the Marines get 100K too? His/her job is infinitely more dangerous and include hardships than cannot even me imagined in the world of sitting around the fire station for 3 days a week. As I pointed out earlier being a garbage man is more dangerous than a firefighter. If the dangers of being of fire fighter are the reason, then NY City garbage men should get 100k as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies