Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 06:41 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
And no, their former jobs don't even make the top 15 most dangerous.

"Firefighters who retired last year are pulling in annual pensions averaging $100,636 because the majority left on disability and is collecting three-quarters of their final salaries, a watchdog group said Tuesday.

"Eight of the retirees are taking in $200,000 or more a year.

"Officials said that 66 percent of all firefighters are currently receiving disability pensions."

2014 FDNY retirees taking in $100K pensions | New York Post
I have nothing against firemen or cops, but in my subdivision all the new houses have to have fire sprinklers installed inside the home that automatically activate when smoke or fire.

I just see our fire department mostly not responding to fires which is a great thing, but we do pay them a lot

The fire department, the police department, plus the schools get like 85% of my county property taxes.

Our own Schools? Yes, that's a no brainier of course we need them.

Our own police? I waffle on it, but usually I think yes we need some Kind of our own police department.

Our own fire department? I don't think we need that. we could join with neighboring towns and sort of share a fire department.

And maybe I am ignorant. Maybe they are doing more than I see, but it just seems they don't do much at all.

I don't begrudge them their pensions or pay though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 07:07 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Post owned by Mr Murdoch, Owner of Fox. The only reason to buy the post is for the sports pages.
Whats this, 6 degrees???

Old 06-17-2015, 08:22 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The issue is in NYC, the property taxes on LI are an issue you have with the County. Came to NC because the Grand Kids are here and we want to watch them grow up.

Real Estate taxes in NYC ( 5 boroughs) are lower then the surrounding areas such as LI and NJ. They have a payroll tax in NYC.

In regard to NC taxes the GOP has put in a flat tax which is causing Real Estate, property, fire, sales taxes to go up as well as the FEES (GOP for taxes) going up.

The police in Suffolk County average about a 100K a year as a patrolman. It's the same issue as NYC.

They're retiring with outrageous pensions.

The taxpayers flee NY because they simply can't afford it.

You left NY because you're retired, and joined your children(who also left NY), the grandkids while they may be a nice benefit weren't the only reason.

Let's get real, people leave NY for places like NC due to the cost of living.

I grew up on Long Island, haven't lived there in years.

Was just back there last year and stayed with family who live in Nassau County and they pay 16K a year in property taxes. The saving grace is the house is paid off.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:41 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
It is absurd that public sector pensions are not based solely on base pay.

This is not fiscally sustainable.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:43 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,861,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Bottom line is it's not sustainable. We can feel bad for them, think they deserve it or whatever, it's not sustainable.
No, it isn't.

The problem is that they could conceivably collect this pension for 40 years if they retired at 50. This is a problem with ALL public sector pensions, not just fire/police.

Taxpayers are the source of revenue for public sector employees -- WE pay their salaries as well as their pensions. There isn't a chance in hell this is sustainable. If anything, they should be entitled to no more than 33% of their NON-OVERTIME earnings. Don't like that offer? Go work in the private sector, where there are few pensions remaining.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:11 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The police in Suffolk County average about a 100K a year as a patrolman. It's the same issue as NYC.
Add about 50 grand. The newer hires will be getting screwed after Bellone's contract kicks in with the new hires..very courageous by the vets to screw all the people who haven't been hired yet.

One of the biggest public scam jobs going.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:09 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
Yup, the few ruins it for the majority. Three documented cases and you want to pull the plug on everybody.
More demagoguery from you. The reason I only posted three cases was space. That was probably too many as it was. Nobody reads the super-long posts on CD.

You seriously think I stopped at 3 because I couldn't find more? That's your implication.

Someone posted that 65% of NY firefighters wind up on disability pension. That's 2 of every 3. Either many of them are scamming, or something is horribly wrong with their safety procedures. I work in a blue collar job that is extremely physically taxing and uses lots of dangerous machinery. Out of maybe 150 co-workers over the years, I think 3 wound up on disability retirement.

And again, note that these disability pensions are tax-free, whereas normal pension is not.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
More demagoguery from you. The reason I only posted three cases was space. That was probably too many as it was. Nobody reads the super-long posts on CD.

You seriously think I stopped at 3 because I couldn't find more? That's your implication.

Someone posted that 65% of NY firefighters wind up on disability pension. That's 2 of every 3. Either many of them are scamming, or something is horribly wrong with their safety procedures. I work in a blue collar job that is extremely physically taxing and uses lots of dangerous machinery. Out of maybe 150 co-workers over the years, I think 3 wound up on disability retirement.

And again, note that these disability pensions are tax-free, whereas normal pension is not.
The NYFD got sued over discrimination on the test. So they had to lower the bar.
Maybe this is the result of letting unqualified people magically become "qualified".

Old 06-18-2015, 07:20 AM

258 posts, read 157,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

A California variant from a few years ago.

CHP 'chief's disease' costing millions in payouts, pensions | The San Diego Union-Tribune

"Fifty-five of the 65 high-ranking officers who retired from the California Highway Patrol since 2000 filed workers' compensation claims within two years, entitling them to lucrative disability settlements and medical pensions with tax-free income. "

Old 06-18-2015, 07:24 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The NYFD got sued over discrimination on the test. So they had to lower the bar.
Maybe this is the result of letting unqualified people magically become "qualified".
Disability scams by NYPD/FDNY/LIRR in the NY metro area are as old as the hills, and they are largely perpetrated by white, working class men. Nice try though.

I remember my little league team being coached by an NYPD guy who was out on "disability"..but he could still run the bases and throw and hit during the father/son softball game. My dad used to explain to me what he was doing and that the guy was basically a crook. This was 30+ years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies