Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2015, 09:47 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
...........The vast majority of people in the US will retire with social security making up the majority of what their retirement income will be, not 401Ks.

actually most americans are saving...and have 401k, profit sharing, and many have actual pensions

even mcdonalds and walmart offer 401k and profit sharing

the biggest employer in the USA....the federal government

BTW..the US GOVERMENT is the LARGEST employer...that is fact, not walmart

largest employers....DOD...3.2 million employees
mcdonalds 2 million employees
walmart 1.8 million employees

mcdonalds...offers 401k, with matching (one of the most generous employeers out there as far as matching).... Total Compensation :: AboutMcDonalds.com

pizza hut...not only a 401k but also a profit sharing plan

little caesars...401k + pension:
Quote:
little caesars offered: following benefits: Pension Benefits:
2A: Age/service weighted or new comparability or similar plan. Allocations are based on age, service, or age and service
2E: Profit-sharing
2F: ERISA section 404(c) plan
2G: Total participant-directed account plan
2J: Code section 401(k) feature – A cash or deferred arrangement described in Code section 401(k)
2K: Code section 401(m) arrangement – Employee contributions are allocated to separate accounts under the plan
2T: Total or partial participant-directed account plan
3D: Pre-approved pension plan

dominoes...not only a 401k, but also profit sharing

walmart...401k and profit sharing

almost all companies out there offer some type of 401k.....my local deli offers its people a 401k

my 401k's (2) have over 175k in each....plus I will have TWO pensions.... plus SS if it exists

to say """a vast majority will retire with only SS or SS making up most of their funds"""" is not a true statement for the majority of americans....especially when you consider the median household income is close to 60k..... and way higher in some areas across the country( ie the median household income here in LI is over 90k)

and getting back to the OP's topic.... this is where the freaking liberals lose it... they want to classify anyone or any household making 200k as rich..... meanwhile a cop married to a teacher can easily have a household income of over 250k, especially here in high cost of living nyc metro and its suburbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 06:44 AM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
No, you have a ridiculous fascination with trying to convince people into believing that more people have a stake in the stock market than actually do.
You're in denial. There clearly is $24 Trillion invested in retirement accounts:

Retirement Question 4 | EBRI

For example, every state of California employee benefits from CalPERS' investments.
Quote:
"CalPERS is one of the largest institutional investors in both the U.S. and international stock markets."
https://www.calpers.ca.gov/index.jsp...ities/home.xml

Multiply that times 50, and add in Washington, DC, federal government employees, city employees, county employees, park district employees, etc., and all private sector employees who have either a pension plan or a retirement account of some sort. THAT's who benefits from the $24 Trillion that's invested in corporate stocks, etc. ALL THOSE PEOPLE depend on corporate profits to fund their retirement.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The pension system is funded by public and private investment. Why not have the overpaid CEO and their ilk have their over size payments go to dividends instead?
Good question. Why don't those holding the $24 Trillion in investments vote their shares for that?

Old 06-19-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
actually most americans are saving...and have 401k, profit sharing, and many have actual pensions

mcdonalds...offers 401k, with matching (one of the most generous employeers out there as far as matching).... Total Compensation :: AboutMcDonalds.com

almost all companies out there offer some type of 401k.....my local deli offers its people a 401k

my 401k's (2) have over 175k in each....plus I will have TWO pensions.... plus SS if it exists

to say """a vast majority will retire with only SS or SS making up most of their funds"""" is not a true statement for the majority of americans....especially when you consider the median household income is close to 60k..... and way higher in some areas across the country( ie the median household income here in LI is over 90k)
Yep. Absolutely true.

31% of Americans have no retirement savings at all - Aug. 8, 2014

Of course, the converse is that 69% of Americans have retirement savings invested in stocks, etc. So, yes, MOST Americans benefit from those oh so evil corporate profits.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:16 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yep. Absolutely true.

31% of Americans have no retirement savings at all - Aug. 8, 2014

Of course, the converse is that 69% of Americans have retirement savings invested in stocks, etc. So, yes, MOST Americans benefit from those oh so evil corporate profits.
Profits are something that is created by making something and selling it.

Welfare is when the government gives it to you.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Profits are something that is created by making something and selling it.

Welfare is when the government gives it to you.
What did the government give? And to whom?

Old 06-19-2015, 07:43 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

and getting back to the OP's topic.... this is where the freaking liberals lose it... they want to classify anyone or any household making 200k as rich..... meanwhile a cop married to a teacher can easily have a household income of over 250k, especially here in high cost of living nyc metro and its suburbs
That all very nice...i'm sure you're proud of your 401Ks and double dipping pensions......I personally have a 401K and have a NY State Teaching pension in my familial unit, so I can thumb my nose and laugh at all the other suckers.

...but again, you spend a ton of time bloviating something to disprove a point I didn't make..I never said that a lot of people aren't in 401K or have savings..I said that the MAJORITY of the money they will earn in retirement will come from SS, because the balances just aren't there, and that the vast majority of the income people earn is from work, not investment.

Your personal anecdotes, and the other guys unflinching desire to keep hitting the repeat button on a strawman point is frankly fascinating. He's trying to convince everyone that what's good for Wall ST is what's good for the majority of Americans.

A simple quiz to see how thick headed you guys really are:

If a person makes $50K a year, and they have 50K in a 401K and it goes up 10% in a year because a bunch of companies boosted profits while outsourcing jobs,..but that person lost their job due to said outsourcing. Now they have no job and $55K 401K balance.

Did Wall St's success
A)Hurt that person
B) Help that person

:Squawk: but there's 24 billion in pension plans, but there's 24 billion in pension plans :squawk:

Old 06-19-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Did Wall St's success
A)Hurt that person
B) Help that person

:Squawk: but there's 24 billion in pension plans, but there's 24 billion in pension plans :squawk:
$24 Trillion, not billion. And yes, absolutely, 69% of Americans depend on corporate profits to grow/fund their pensions and/or retirement accounts.

Wall Street's success is helping 69% of Americans. Do I need to quote CalPERS again for you to get it?

Old 06-19-2015, 07:54 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
$24 Trillion, not billion. And yes, absolutely, 69% of Americans depend on corporate profits to grow/fund their pensions and/or retirement accounts.

Wall Street's success is helping 69% of Americans. Do I need to quote CalPERS again for you to get it?

Where is the majority of Americans retirement income going to come from, 401K+ pensions, or social security?

Are you mentally ill?

Old 06-19-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Where is the majority of Americans retirement income going to come from, 401K+ pensions, or social security?
69% have retirement savings in the form of a pension plan or retirement account. Invested retirement savings. 69%.

Quote:
Are you mentally ill?
Given that you fail to realize that 69% is a majority, seems you might be.

Oh, and SS is a LOSING deal for most workers. They'll get LESS back than they paid in SS taxes:
Social Security is a LOSING deal for most workers - AP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies