Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 09:51 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,517,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Ah yes, working 80/hrs a week is living. yup.

Sigh. I've done it before (and once even 100+ for several weeks), its not living a life, its living to work. The idea that that is the solution when we have unemployed folks is ludicrous.

Seriously folks, whats wrong with you?
I just can't understand why so many of you can't wrap your heads around the idea of working hard and long hours to get ahead.

I'm not saying to work 80 hours a week for the rest of your life. I'm saying to put in that kind of work to put yourself in a better position.

I understand that some adults have physical or mental limitations where they simply don't have the ability to move ahead, but those are not the people I'm discussing.

Anybody who believes it's unreasonable to work 80 hours a week, even for five years, to move ahead will never, in most cases, own their own business or reach the next level (those who don't have any college and/or skills).

The attitude of, "In this day and age, I should be entitled to live a nice life by punching a clock for 40 hours a week" is not only bizarre but a sign of laziness, IMHO.

People with that attitude would have essentially died only a couple hundred years ago when the vast majority of people were working from sun up to sun down almost every day of the week.

Entitlement is destroying this country, and many others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 10:04 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,044,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I just can't understand why so many of you can't wrap your heads around the idea of working hard and long hours to get ahead.

I'm not saying to work 80 hours a week for the rest of your life. I'm saying to put in that kind of work to put yourself in a better position.

I understand that some adults have physical or mental limitations where they simply don't have the ability to move ahead, but those are not the people I'm discussing.

Anybody who believes it's unreasonable to work 80 hours a week, even for five years, to move ahead will never, in most cases, own their own business or reach the next level (those who don't have any college and/or skills).

The attitude of, "In this day and age, I should be entitled to live a nice life by punching a clock for 40 hours a week" is not only bizarre but a sign of laziness, IMHO.

People with that attitude would have essentially died only a couple hundred years ago when the vast majority of people were working from sun up to sun down almost every day of the week.

Entitlement is destroying this country, and many others.
I feel sorry for you and the people in your life, I really do.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Someone is marrying your buddy? What? Over the last year he has had about 52 days off according to you. Who would marry someone they barely know?
Outside of current western civilization, it happens/happened all the time.

How many hours a week do you think farmers in the 1800's worked?

BTW, he's marrying his high school sweetheart, and since they are living together they see each other several waking hours a day.

Quote:
And why the heck would any company work someone for 80 hrs a week? With overtime they're paying him far more then just hiring an additional person. That alone makes your story kinda suspicious.
I'll tell you what, let's make a wager. Let's go $100 on this. You PM me your email address. I'll get him to give me a copy of his pay stub. I'll redact his personal information, scan it in and email it to you. If I'm not telling the truth, I paypal you $100. If I'm telling the truth, you paypal me $100. If either of us fail to honor the bet, we give the other permission to publicize the failure to honor their word on CD any time we want. No complaining to the mods or such. How about it? I will provide a pay stub from within the last month showing a minimum of 75 hours (since he averages about 80 hours) for $100. Are you in?

Quote:
Heres whats going to happen. Your "buddy" (who again has only 52 days off a year-sundays) is going to either burn out, and quit, put a bullet in his noggin, or his fiance is going to leave him for someone that realizes that having a life with someone has some value.
I doubt it. My grandfather worked as both a farmer and a trucker for decades probably working close to 80 hours a week. My father pretty much worked 10 hours a day 6 days a week and also coached swimming on top of his regular job. He usually got started about 4 am. I have a friend who is a orthopedic surgeon in Birmighhan Alabama, and he spend many years working (including studying) at least 80 hours a week.

For thousands of years, most men have worked that hard for most of their lives.

Yes, I understand that many of you believe we have reached a special time where we no longer need to work too much, but if you CHOOSE to do the minimum, don't be upset when your lifestyle reflects that.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:10 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,883,009 times
Of course it "can be done" and is done. But should it be?

Growing up my Dad averaged over 80 Hours a week working a full time day job and managing a bar/rental hall nights and weekends. He has a Masters degree as well, but 6 kids are expensive.

Of course my siblings and I probably would have rather had him around more instead of attending expensive private high school.... Why should anyone have to sacrifice so much for their children to obtain a decent education?

Old 06-19-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:

BTW, he's marrying his high school sweetheart, and since they are living together they see each other several waking hours a day.

I'll tell you what, let's make a wager. Let's go $100 on this. You PM me your email address. I'll get him to give me a copy of his pay stub. I'll redact his personal information, scan it in and email it to you. If I'm not telling the truth, I paypal you $100. If I'm telling the truth, you paypal me $100. If either of us fail to honor the bet, we give the other permission to publicize the failure to honor their word on CD any time we want. No complaining to the mods or such. How about it? I will provide a pay stub from within the last month showing a minimum of 75 hours (since he averages about 80 hours) for $100. Are you in?

I doubt it. My grandfather worked as both a farmer and a trucker for decades probably working close to 80 hours a week. My father pretty much worked 10 hours a day 6 days a week and also coached swimming on top of his regular job. He usually got started about 4 am. I have a friend who is a orthopedic surgeon in Birmighhan Alabama, and he spend many years working (including studying) at least 80 hours a week.

Yes, I understand that many of you believe we have reached a special time where we no longer need to work too much, but if you CHOOSE to do the minimum, don't be upset when your lifestyle reflects that.
That's too bad, sounds like your father didn't have a father, which maybe is why you turned out the way you did. Do you really want that to continue? Do family values mean nothing to you?

Old 06-19-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
I feel sorry for you and the people in your life, I really do.
Why would you feel sorry for people who worked hard and are now ahead?

When I'm sitting in my pool tomorrow, I'll be smiling about the fact that I worked two jobs while going full time to a state university. I'll be happy to tell the story of working nights and weekends hanging wallpaper while I went to junior college before that.

I'll be proud to tell my children about how my father grew up in a tiny trailer home but worked hard enough to be able to live in a very nice home with a pool on the golf course while taking trips to places like Hawaii, London, Paris, etc.

My buddy working his tail off at CenterPoint is very excited to be closing on his own home in a couple of weeks. I bet he's going to be even more stoked when he's in his 30's with a paid off home and scaled back to 40 hours a week.

I'm sure there are many posters on CD who worked 80 hours a week building their own business who are happy as larks and enjoying the fruits of their labors.

My guess is most people who sacrificed to get ahead are not only happy now, but live very fulfilling lives.

If others don't want to sacrifice, that is their CHOICE, but they shouldn't expect much sympathy when they rant about how they should be entitled to live like the ones who chose the other path.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:

Yea.... If a friend of mine asked me for a copy of my pay stub to win an internet battle, I probably would tell them to F off, and I definitely wouldn't be their friend anymore....

Old 06-19-2015, 10:17 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,883,009 times
Quote:
Why would you feel sorry for people who worked hard and are now ahead?
For people that have children or even spouses they don't know because of insane work hours-it is sad.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
That's too bad, sounds like your father didn't have a father, which maybe is why you turned out the way you did. Do you really want that to continue? Do family values mean nothing to you?
My grandfather (father's father) was an alcoholic and pretty much a sh***y parent to his sons.

My father was a terrific father and remained married to my mother until he died from cancer last year at the age of 72. He had three sons, myself and my two brothers, who have all remained married to our only wives and we all have children that are doing well. My older brother is the COO of the company he works for and is on the board of directors. My younger brother just started his own business and works from home and makes a load of money. I could actually be considered the "failure", if you will, of the three of us in terms of career, but I still do very well and have a wonderful life. My daughter is in the GT program at school and my son, well, he's obsessed with Minecraft. Every evening when I see my daughter she insists on giving me a huge hug. My son would if I were a character in Minecraft. We'll be spending this weekend around the house swimming or going out on the lake.

So, hell yes I want to continue on with this outstanding life. Why wouldn't I?

Old 06-19-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
For people that have children or even spouses they don't know because of insane work hours-it is sad.
My friend at CenterPoint is working his tail off now so that when he's in his 30's and he is raising kids, he won't have to work crazy hours and he'll be able to have the resources for the family to do more things if they choose.

Additionally, there are 24 hours in a day. Even if you work 12 hours, you can still make time if you choose.

How long do you think most people worked each day up until this last century?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies