Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 05:48 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times

Advertisements

Briefly, a widely known venture capitalist Nick Hanauer in a interview stated that within 2 weeks the president was going to announce a new threshold for exempt employees.

"****'s Gonna Hit the Fan": Talking to a Billionaire About Class War

*note if the link doesnt work it may be due to a banned word being in the link. you will have to fix that in your browser.

The relevant section:
Quote:
The president has unilateral ability to raise that threshold through a rule through the Labor Department. And within two weeks, the Labor Department will announce what that rule is, what that new threshold is. And I can tell you that the **** is going to hit the fan.
Currently that threshold (the minimum to pay someone who you've labeled as "exempt" is $26,300. This is where you get people labeled "asst manager" at a fast food restaurant, working 70 hrs a week, and not making overtime, and making minimum wage....or even less. All perfectly legal today.

Thoughts? I thik this is perfectly reasonable to be honest, it should be higher. I don't think setting it to 40 or 50K is unreasonable.

Last edited by greywar; 06-17-2015 at 05:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 05:52 PM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Another edict to file under -"none of his business"

Old 06-17-2015, 05:56 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,595,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Briefly, a widely known
in a interview stated that within 2 weeks the president was going to announce a new threshold for exempt employees.

*note if the link doesnt work it may be due to a banned word being in the link. you will have to fix that in your browser.

The relevant section:

Currently that threshold (the minimum to pay someone who you've labeled as "exempt" is $26,300. This is where you get people labeled "asst manager" at a fast food restaurant, working 70 hrs a week, and not making overtime, and making minimum wage....or even less. All perfectly legal today.

Thoughts? I thik this is perfectly reasonable to be honest, it should be higher. I don't think setting it to 40 or 50K is unreasonable.
It really depends and what you do and if the employer is abusing putting you at salary status. Being salary in a line of work where you hours are all over the place from 20 a week to 70 a week, I'd rather be salary anyday. That makes it so much easier to budget.

That being said, the poor underpaid managers in food and retail, may have to work 70 every damn week for a 40 hour paycheck and that is crappy, I can't disagree. Management is ALWAYS a skilled position regardless of the industry. One thing every management worker in any field has in common is that they are considered the "competent party" and take on a lot of liability. Management earned there place and should not be treated like that in my opinion. Although in my extreme management field, asbestos abatement, I can go to FEDERAL PRISON if I, or one of my workers cause us to get a violation. Hows that for liability?

Old 06-17-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Another edict to file under -"none of his business"
Uhmmm...actually the definition of exempt employees is in fact...his business. LOL.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:00 PM

46,278 posts, read 27,093,964 times
I guessing unions will get a waiver......

Old 06-17-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I guessing unions will get a waiver......
Im guessing if you're in a union and making less then 26K/year on salary, that you're in a pretty bad union.

So I am guessing you are wrong.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:18 PM

46,278 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Im guessing if you're in a union and making less then 26K/year on salary, that you're in a pretty bad union.

So I am guessing you are wrong.

Quote:
Where did you get this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's NOT in the link you provided....

Old 06-17-2015, 06:18 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
Republicans hate people who actually work for a living, so they will oppose this.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:30 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Briefly, a widely known venture capitalist Nick Hanauer in a interview stated that within 2 weeks the president was going to announce a new threshold for exempt employees.

The relevant section:

I hope he goes big on this.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
I think Obama should mandate $50K as the threshold for exempt workers.
If he's going to mandate then "mandate hard".

I see teachers putting in 12-15 hours a day on school days and they are exempt with starting salaries as low as $28K a year (Texas min salary).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies