Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 11:14 AM

16,587 posts, read 8,605,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
This will not go over well with Conservatives..especially the Social Conservatives
I don't think most conservatives (social or not) will have a problem with a bill having a woman on it. Remember they supported women being on currency in years past when 4 of them have been.
However to remove president Jackson from the 20 dollar bill was to big an issue, so they went with Hamilton on the 10 to get co-billing. Maybe they should just replace him with his twin sister who is purported to look similar.
That should satisfy the libs clamoring for a woman just because of some gender equality nonsense.

I'd also add that if it is a historical woman know for patriotism such as Betsy Ross people will be fine with it.
However if it is a woman who is picked for a liberal PC reason, then many people will object.

`

Old 06-18-2015, 11:32 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Enough with the politics. America has never had any type of artist on its currency. So how about a creative person for a change? I'd consider:

Marian Anderson
Ella Fitzgerald
Georgia O'Keefe
Emily Dickinson
Martha Grahm

All have represented the U.S. at its best.
Personally, I'd love to see Ella on the tenspot.
Why does it have to be an artist? Why not a pioneering scientist like any of these ladies:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/summeranne/3...rld#.bi345Y667

Old 06-18-2015, 11:47 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It's official, a woman will be on the new $10 bill in 2020.

"Just which woman is up to you.
Legally, the decision belongs to Jack Lew, but the Treasury secretary said he's seeking public input on which female historical figure should appear on U.S. paper currency for the first time in 119 years.

We don't yet know what the 'pubic input' process will be.

I'd stay away from recent events and anything political and go with a historical figure like Sacagawea.

Move over, Hamilton! Treasury to put woman on $10 bill
Sacajawea was my first thought, too. Without her, Lewis and Clark would have perished, and our history would have been totally different.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:04 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I don't think most conservatives (social or not) will have a problem with a bill having a woman on it. Remember they supported women being on currency in years past when 4 of them have been.
However to remove president Jackson from the 20 dollar bill was to big an issue, so they went with Hamilton on the 10 to get co-billing. Maybe they should just replace him with his twin sister who is purported to look similar.
That should satisfy the libs clamoring for a woman just because of some gender equality nonsense.

I'd also add that if it is a historical woman know for patriotism such as Betsy Ross people will be fine with it.
However if it is a woman who is picked for a liberal PC reason, then many people will object.

`
Betsy Ross sewed a frigging flag, which there is little concrete proof she even did it. It should be a woman that played a part in America history in a positive fashion. First Congress Woman, Clara Barton, etc etc etc

Old 06-18-2015, 12:07 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Sacajawea was my first thought, too. Without her, Lewis and Clark would have perished, and our history would have been totally different.
Or they would have found someone else :-P. I guess I feel that the standards for people that appear on bills should be individuals who have made a solid contribution to America. Sewing a flag and joining some yahoos on a trip is not my idea of one.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:16 PM

258 posts, read 157,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Betsy Ross sewed a frigging flag, which there is little concrete proof she even did it. It should be a woman that played a part in America history in a positive fashion. First Congress Woman, Clara Barton, etc etc etc
Oh well, it's part of the US mythology. A piece of that social glue that used to bind us together and cause things to get done. Washington's cherry tree, Columbus Day, a pretty girl in town playing Columbia in the 4th of July Parade at the turn of the century.

I wouldn't sweat it, that old fashioned behavior was for squares. All of that stuff will be gone soon enough and will be replaced by 100 bickering tribes all looking out for themselves. Whether you end up with Yugoslavia or not will probably depend on how hard the central government puts the hammer down.

Given the likely future of the country, I'd probably vote for making US currency apolitical, rather like the EU concept. Classical architecture and bridges is an easier sell than everybody getting their man in. We'll have to invent new currency sizes in order get a Mormon and a Hmong their own bills.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:41 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Betsy Ross sewed a frigging flag, which there is little concrete proof she even did it.

How about Mary Pickersgill instead? There's no question about whether or not she sewed the flag that flew over Ft. McHenry when the British fleet was repelled.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:50 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
I nominate Elvira, mistress of the dark.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:19 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,770,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Well, there are issues deserving of outrage. This isn't one of them.
Then why is the Obama Administration outraged enough to replace Hamilton on the $10 bill?

Old 06-18-2015, 01:25 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
Then why is the Obama Administration outraged enough to replace Hamilton on the $10 bill?
I doubt he was "outraged" putting a woman on our money is about acknowledging what women have done for our country throughout our history. much like the reason men are on our money. it's about time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies