Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2015, 03:44 PM

9,942 posts, read 15,527,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
His father got the gun for him for his 21st birthday apparently. So there goes the question I'm sure the media would have asked, Where are the Parents?
The parents were divorced. Who knows how well his father knew him anymore.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:51 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,520,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Best guess is because a state senator was there preaching at the time. Another guess is he thought he'd get less resistance inside a church than from another type of group. That church is well know for its place in black history. That was no accident, don't you think? He let one person live so she could tell what happened and what he said. A five year old survived by playing dead.
There is an alleged report from his roommate that he was planning this for 6 months. Dad recently gifted him with the gun he used in the church.

Reportedly, he had Suboxone on him when he was arrested which implies he was addicted to opiates/ opioids. Then again he may be trading Subs for other drugs.

Violence is uncommon with opiate/ opioid addiction.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:54 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,277,255 times
His roommate claims Roof wanted to start a civil war, had a confederate flag on his license plate and liked to tell racist jokes.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...lann-roof.html

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 06-18-2015 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: fixed link that didn't work

Old 06-18-2015, 04:00 PM

9,879 posts, read 7,991,553 times
Quote:
His roommate claims Roof wanted to start a civil war, had a confederate flag on his license plate and liked to tell racist jokes.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...uspect-dylann-
Your link doesn't work, try this one

Charleston Shooter Wanted To Start a Civil War, Roommate Says - Breaking911Breaking911

Old 06-18-2015, 04:00 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,520,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Could this horrible act actually be persecution of Christians? The shooting did happen in a Christian church.
One would think that most people are unarmed and/ or unprepared to defend themselves in a church.

He is a hateful coward.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:03 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,019,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Could this horrible act actually be persecution of Christians? The shooting did happen in a Christian church.
Quote:
What is so hard to understand about his statement, "I'm here to kill black people"? Don't try to spin it into a war on Christians.
No, jojajn is right, that possibility should be investigated. No one is spinning that, maybe you just don't like the idea.
The guy sat in the church for an hour; truly bizarre. If the guy just hated blacks he could have gone anywhere, including a mostly black restaurant, school, etc. and done it.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:05 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,019,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
One would think that most people are unarmed and/ or unprepared to defend themselves in a church.
Hmm. Not in Texas... especially in the large churches. I've seen people carry. They may have been undercover security, but still.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:06 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,977,479 times
Quote:
There is an alleged report from his roommate that he was planning this for 6 months. Dad recently gifted him with the gun he used in the church.

Reportedly, he had Suboxone on him when he was arrested which implies he was addicted to opiates/ opioids. Then again he may be trading Subs for other drugs.

Violence is uncommon with opiate/ opioid addiction.
Of note, why the heck didn't his roommate alert anyone??? Seems like planning violence is something which shouldn't be ignored.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:01 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,555,520 times
Quote:

He is a hateful coward.
I know several people that carry in church. I have been since I got my CCW several decades ago. In all that time I've never had to pull it at church. However this instance proves that a church can be around over a hundred years and one day a lunatic can walk in and start blasting.

Churches are a known very soft target, quite frankly Im surprised we havent seen more of this especially from enemies of our country.

I suspect an ISIS or like minded lone wolf affliate homicide bomb attempt of places of worship in this country sooner or later.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 06-18-2015 at 05:32 PM..

Old 06-18-2015, 05:30 PM

15,824 posts, read 21,334,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I know several people that carry in church. I have been since I got my CCW several decades ago. In all that time never had to pull it. Howeve this instance proves that a church can be around over a hundred years and one day a lunatic can walk in a start blasting.

Churches a known very soft target, quite frankly Im surprised we havent seen more of this especially from enemies of our country.

I suspect an ISIS or like minded lone wolf affliate homicide bomb attempt of places of worship in this country sooner or later.
We have no idea if anyone in the church had a gun. He sat with them for an hour. Would they have had time to pull a weapon when he started shooting? In such close quarters and intense situation, would they have been able to shoot the killer rather than accidentally shoot someone else? We don't know.

Unfortunately, this is not a scenario where having a gun would likely have helped. Nor would it help with the bomb scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies