Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 07:29 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
He told the people to report that he had committed this crime. I think it is clear that he did it. I am grateful that CD provided the name of the place to include with my title. I am good with it.
The reason I don't think the thread is well named is because it requires the reader to click on it to determine what "An unholy act of man" means. People scan over these titles pretty quickly in most cases, and if they do not get a pretty fast and direct sense that the subject is one they are interested in, they move on. It was an unholy act, regardless of what the motive turns out to be, but the title in my opinion is not the best place to introduce such an evaluation.

Also, the SC in the title forces the reader to decipher an abbreviation, still without any clear reference to the subject of the thread at this point. Could it be Southern California? No, it is South Carolina.

So finally in the last word of the title, there is the word shooting. It is my sense you would have been better off "Nine people shot dead in South Carolina Church." Or, if you prefer, "White man kills nine black people in South Carolina Church." Either one of those titles, or something similar to those, would have been more effective at informing and encouraging people to open and read your thread.

And again, the sticky at the top. I know you did not do this, and that the moderator was just trying to be helpful, but most people usually skip right over the stickied articles, as they are usually administrative in nature. I did not see it there to begin with and I am confident that a lot of other people will not either.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:31 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
Does SC have the death penalty?
Why do they need the death penalty? Just shoot him when they find him. Done deal. No trial, no tax payers money wasted. He doesn't deserve the formal process of a trial and death penalty. That's too good for him.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:32 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,849,077 times
I wonder if he's related to the police officer that got charged with murder for shooting a black person few weeks ago in SC .

Old 06-18-2015, 07:33 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
Yes that's I've been thinking this morning , they don't say he's around 21 , just that he's 21 ?
What you guys are forgetting is you're dealing with high level intel. The FEDS can find out anything about anyone. They have sources that we don't even know about.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:33 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Thread title stinks for a sticky.

Horrible event. These mass killings are just gutting. Sandy Hook, this, and many many more....far too many.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:34 AM

So it appears that the Pastor was a state senator. Could there have been a political component to this?

Quote:
Manhunt on for gunman who killed 9 at South Carolina church prayer meeting

Among the dead was the church's pastor, state Sen. Clementa Pinckney, 41, who had been a pastor since he was 18. Pinckney was the youngest African-American elected to the South Carolina legislature when he won office in 1996 at age 23 and had been a state senator since 2000.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:36 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times
moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by Marka; 06-20-2015 at 12:16 AM..

Old 06-18-2015, 07:36 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The reason I don't think the thread is well named is because it requires the reader to click on it to determine what "An unholy act of man" means. People scan over these titles pretty quickly in most cases, and if they do not get a pretty fast and direct sense that the subject is one they are interested in, they move on. It was an unholy act, regardless of what the motive turns out to be, but the title in my opinion is not the best place to introduce such an evaluation.

Also, the SC in the title forces the reader to decipher an abbreviation, still without any clear reference to the subject of the thread at this point. Could it be Southern California? No, it is South Carolina.

So finally in the last word of the title, there is the word shooting. It is my sense you would have been better off "Nine people shot dead in South Carolina Church." Or, if you prefer, "White man kills nine black people in South Carolina Church." Either one of those titles, or something similar to those, would have been more effective at informing and encouraging people to open and read your thread.

And again, the sticky at the top. I know you did not do this, and that the moderator was just trying to be helpful, but most people usually skip right over the stickied articles, as they are usually administrative in nature. I did not see it there to begin with and I am confident that a lot of other people will not either.
A title is the least of my concern, and it is not that serious to me about how many people comment. The story of this man killing nine people is out there, and there has been a post started on Current Events as well. So it is all good! I posted what I felt in my hearts of hearts, last thing I was worried about was the title. This is not an academic exercise, in which I have excelled at doing, but if you would like to administer an F for my title then by all means please do so.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:37 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post

Duly noted. Good points.

An Unholy Act of Man- Church Shooting Charleston SC. 9 Dead.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
There have been many stories about unarmed black men getting killed by the police.

Now here is a clear cut threat.

Are the police going to treat this 21y/o white male like the threatening criminal that he is and kill him? (I hope so)

Will they spare his life?

Or will he end up being another case study and declared "insane"?

Will white privilege be in full force?
Are you advocating that he be shot on sight like a rabid dog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies