Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 05:18 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,633,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
Think about what the leftist handwringers and crybabies are getting their panties in a wad about...a piece of cloth.
Oh please. If it were just "a piece of cloth" then why are the right wingers getting their panties in a wad over taking it down? You'd have to be truly dense not to realize that flags represent ideas, and publicly displaying a flag represents support for those ideas. If I were to buy a flag with a marijuana leaf on it and hang it in my window, everyone who saw it would assume I supported legalizing marijuana whether I really did or not.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:18 AM

29 posts, read 17,407 times
Ugh, confederate flag this, confederate flag that...
He never even held a real confederate flag in the first place. The elongated rebel X flag was something created in the mid 20th century, and not even flown in the civil war. Nitpicking maybe, but the historian in me is spazzing out.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:44 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,017,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Oh please. If it were just "a piece of cloth" then why are the right wingers getting their panties in a wad over taking it down? You'd have to be truly dense not to realize that flags represent ideas, and publicly displaying a flag represents support for those ideas. If I were to buy a flag with a marijuana leaf on it and hang it in my window, everyone who saw it would assume I supported legalizing marijuana whether I really did or not.
Which right wingers? The ones here? Because the ones in South Carolina have come out in support of removing it (e.g. Gov. Haley, Sen. Tim Scott, Sen. Lindsay Graham, various other state legislature members).

Old 06-25-2015, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB17 View Post
Ugh, confederate flag this, confederate flag that...
He never even held a real confederate flag in the first place. The elongated rebel X flag was something created in the mid 20th century, and not even flown in the civil war. Nitpicking maybe, but the historian in me is spazzing out.
I've always been apathetic about the flag on the monument in Columbia. Thought it was pretty stupid but I did see a suggestion that made me laugh. They should suggest changing it out for a historically accurate flag - the former CSA national flag. That would differentiate quite quickly if people were genuinely interested in the history/heritage thing or if they had racist intent instead. But at the end of the day, it's a flag which has absolutely zero impact over me and on my life.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:37 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Which right wingers? The ones here? Because the ones in South Carolina have come out in support of removing it (e.g. Gov. Haley, Sen. Tim Scott, Sen. Lindsay Graham, various other state legislature members).

Chumley is a bit further right than any of them. Anyway if this comes up for a vote, lets see what the vote tally is.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Chumley is a bit further right than any of them. Anyway if this comes up for a vote, lets see what the vote tally is.
And he's one person in the legislature. Looks like the majority of Republicans in our legislature support removing the flag. Still unsure if they've reached the 2/3 majority required yet though. Believe the SC Senate is the body where that is unsure right now.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:58 AM

70 posts, read 67,230 times
Was the Dukes of Hazzard racist? Or I should probably word that were they racist?

I'm not overly familiar with this whole north south thing you've got going on there but I remember this show growing up and in my ignorance I always think of them when people on here refer to racism in the south and the whole confederate thing.

Are you all like that in the south? I don't mean racist I mean do you all drive around in super charged cars with confederate roofs avoiding fat sheriffs everyday? I believe that you do.

Stereotyping can be fun.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:02 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,863,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFCWHYTHENSHAW View Post
Was the Dukes of Hazzard racist? Or I should probably word that were they racist?

I'm not overly familiar with this whole north south thing you've got going on there but I remember this show growing up and in my ignorance I always think of them when people on here refer to racism in the south and the whole confederate thing.

Are you all like that in the south? I don't mean racist I mean do you all drive around in super charged cars with confederate roofs avoiding fat sheriffs everyday? I believe that you do.

Stereotyping can be fun.
Anti-good old boy crony state.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:03 AM

70 posts, read 67,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Anti-good old boy crony state.

What does that mean mate? Gone right over my head that.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:07 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,863,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFCWHYTHENSHAW View Post
What does that mean mate? Gone right over my head that.
The Dukes never bribed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies