Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2015, 09:02 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,001 times

Advertisements

Of course he does. His and those like him, their answer for everything is more government and less rights for us. Im not shocked he said this though I thought maybe he would wait at least a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 09:07 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You can dismiss it if you want but the statistics don't lie in this case. Vermont's lack of gun laws is well documented. It alternates with NH and ME for lowest violent crime rate in the country every year.

Vermont: Safe and Happy and Armed to the Teeth | National Review Online

That is not an academic paper but it cites the various stats I'm referring to.

Do you have any stats for the homicide rate in Stockholm? I've seen figures such as 3 per 100,000, which would be nearly twice the average rate for Vermont. Vermont has slightly less people total than that city but still. This article suggests gun crime is on the rise in Sweden:

Swedish murder rate spikes in 2013 - The Local

Nothing you posted changes my opinion it's not guns, it's cultural and societal issues behind this. There's a world of difference between the society and culture in northern New England states and a place like Florida, and the crime rates in each.
Lets take the entire population of say, DC and ship them off to Switzerland, without guns no less. Does anything think the crime level there would change?

Old 06-19-2015, 09:09 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Obama can call for gun control all he wants but we have a Constitution which doesn't give a damn about what Obama wants....he's pissin in the wind.
If it didn't come with such political liability, Obama would probably try to push through something where the ATF required that each bullet have a serial number. Imagine what that would do to the price of ammo which would then impact people's decision to purchase guns.

IMHO, if it wouldn't impact the Democrat party (yes, I know it's technically Democratic party, but I'll continue with Democrat) so hard in many states, he'd definitely be pushing something like that.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:10 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Lets take the entire population of say, DC and ship them off to Switzerland, without guns no less. Does anything think the crime level there would change?
It would mimic a helium balloon.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:10 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Except maybe a gun control law that banned handgun ownership outright? Just saying.
Come back to reality.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:31 AM

7,501 posts, read 5,751,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Now tell me who didn't see that coming. Another well though out knee jerk reaction.

Obama: Church Shooting 'Raises Questions About a Dark Part of Our History' - NBC News
He's an idiot

Old 06-19-2015, 10:03 AM

800 posts, read 780,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
No, cities like Stockholm are way more dangerous than states like Vermont if you go by statistics.

How do you control for differences in culture? Sorry but I know enough about statistics from my education that I know you can make them say whatever you want them to say. The studies you cited are extremely broad and don't dig deep at all into the issue.

That's not the end of the story. Here are some articles you might consider looking at:

Florenz Plassmann, State University of New York at Binghamton, and John Whitley, University of Adelaide, 'Confirming "More Guns, Less Crime"', Stanford Law Review, 2003

T. B. Marvell, Justec Research, "The Impact of Banning Juvenile Gun Possession," The Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

David E. Olson, Loyola University Chicago, and Michael D. Maltz, University of Illinois at Chicago, "Right-to-carry concealed weapons laws and homicide in large U.S. counties: the effect on weapon types, victim characteristics, and victim-offender relationships," The Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001.

Bruce L. Benson, Florida State University, and Brent D. Mast, American Enterprise Institute, "Privately Produced General Deterrence", The Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001.
You're comparing a state to a city

Compare Stockholm to an American city. States and cites are different and cannot be compared. The country of Sweden is safer than the state of Vermont. Furthermore Sweden is safer than the United States.

Have you even been to Stockholm?

Old 06-19-2015, 10:19 AM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,778 times
I will just drop this right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi1cgPGqdOk

Old 06-19-2015, 10:31 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,315,362 times
You buy a relative a gift of a gun your RELATIVE, whoever they are, should have to pass a background check. Oh, we'll trust your word that your Uncle Joe, Son Johnny, or even your wife Mary, is a "good guy". Blind trust.

Adam Lanza was given guns by his mother. Dylan Roof was given guns by his father. Both had issues ranging from previous mental health issues, and a pending Felony charge for illegal possession of drug.

If these over 21 children have nothing to HIDE, let them pass their own background checks themselves, and not have a parent skirt the issue for them.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:33 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Now tell me who didn't see that coming. Another well though out knee jerk reaction.

Obama: Church Shooting 'Raises Questions About a Dark Part of Our History' - NBC News
Well, I see the gun salesman in chief is back to selling guns and ammunition. I wish I owned a gun shop right now. Gun prices and ammunition sales will go through the roof again, for a little while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies