Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 11:15 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,392,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Well, it would be nice if crazy people wouldn't ruin it for the rest of us. More control of crazy people is what is needed.
Racism isn't a mental illness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 11:17 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
Racism isn't a mental illness.
Who claimed it was? You can be mentally stable and be a racist. I don't see how you can be mentally stable and do what this kid did.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:27 AM

800 posts, read 781,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Holiday Island says hello.
I was hoping someone would bring this up.

So I tried typing in Holiday Island shooting in Denmark and nothing came up.

I quickly realized that you likely are confusing Denmark and Norway due to a unfortunate, but not uncommon American lack of geographical knowledge. (Despite a sea separating the two countries )

Obviously, you are referring to the terrible tragedy that happened on Utøya committed by right wing terrorist Anders Breivik.

So yes Breivik was able to kill 85 people. This is very true and very sad. Yes he was able to get a gun (through tremendous effort and over two years of planning). Yes no one was there to stop them.

Here's the problem with your analysis. The Utøya incident is like Norway's 9/11. It is a one time incident. No similar events have happened before in Norway (or Denmark or Sweden for that matter) and none have occurred after. Furthermore, Norway's gun homicide rate per capita was still way, way lower than the US even with Breivik for that year.

Perhaps most telling is the Norwegian response. Jens Stoltenberg (at that time the PM of Norway) said Norway would must refuse to cave into Breivik. Norwegian police were unarmed before Breivik. They remained unarmed to this day except in special (and I mean very special circumstances). The Norwegian people simply did not see why more firearms would fix anything. Instead they rightly focused on figuring what elements in Norway could inspire this man to commit such a heinous act.

Additionally, it took Breivik nearly two years to obtain all the weapons and equipment for his attack. It gives the Norwegian authorities a lot more time to catch him before the act happened. Obviously they very unfortunately did not.

In comparison Dylann Roof receives cash from his father, drives two hours south, buys a gun, and murders 9 people in a way shorter time frame. Not a chance of stopping him.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:08 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
In comparison Dylann Roof receives cash from his father, drives two hours south, buys a gun, and murders 9 people in a way shorter time frame. Not a chance of stopping him.
So what do you propose to stop it?

This should be really good.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:09 PM

488 posts, read 1,176,761 times
Quote:

Political Science 101: When doing a study you must control for variables that may also serve as factors for your objective, dependent variable you are studying.

In this case we are not cherry picking countries. We are comparing the US to the other first world, OECD countries. These countries have similar government structures (democratic/representative), high socio-economic status (Based on per capita income etc), advanced infrastructure, highly rated education systems etc.

Russia is not a first world country. Outside Russia's oligarchical elite, the average Russian is struggling. Poverty, particularly outside of Moscow is acute.

It is well established that areas and countries beset by poverty have higher crime rates due to people trying to find alternative means to survive or simply get what they want.

Therefore, the US cannot be compared to Russia when you control for socio-economic status. Should we compare ourselves to Congo next? You are picking countries that fit your narrative with no proper academic evaluation of whether or not it is appropriate to compare them.
HaHaHa. Sure, you are cherry picking, and so did I. Just like you people pick a country to fit your narrative, so did I.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:23 PM

800 posts, read 781,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerat View Post
HaHaHa. Sure, you are cherry picking, and so did I. Just like you people pick a country to fit your narrative, so did I.
You need to compare the US to countries with similar characteristics in terms of legislative and executive capacity, in addition to socio-economic factors.

I'm not cherry picking when I compare the US to the world's top 35 countries. That's 35 countries all of them comparable to the US.

What you want to do is like comparing Real Madrid to some third division team. Apples and oranges.

We are a first world country. We should be compared to other first world countries.

The stats are what the stats are.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:08 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
You need to compare the US to countries with similar characteristics in terms of legislative and executive capacity, in addition to socio-economic factors.

I'm not cherry picking when I compare the US to the world's top 35 countries. That's 35 countries all of them comparable to the US.

What you want to do is like comparing Real Madrid to some third division team. Apples and oranges.

We are a first world country. We should be compared to other first world countries.

The stats are what the stats are.
The United States can't actually be compared to the other countries that you have cited. This call to compare America to the UK, or Switzerland, or Norway, or Australia, or Japan, etc. is nothing but a distraction. European countries don't have the same cultural makeup, the same socioeconomic makeup, or the same sheer immensity that the United States has.

Australia comes the closest in size, but has had extremely strict immigration laws for decades. It also doesn't share a border with a cartel-run third world country.

The UK is about half the size of California, and about one third the size of Texas. Sweden is the size of California, Norway is the size of New Mexico. In fact, the majority of western Europe would fit inside the continental United States.

In order to actually compare the United States on a one on one basis, and with an area that has the same cultural diversity, you would have to compare the US with western Europe as a whole, rather than cherry picking state sized chunks.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:32 PM

488 posts, read 1,176,761 times
Ha! "The stats are what the stats are." That's rich. You mean like the "stats" Hillary spouted off during her little speech in Mexico a few years ago? You know, the "stats" she quoted about something like 90 percent of guns found at Mexico crimes scenes had come from the U.S.? Those "stats" that were shown to be a fabricated lie? Are those the kind of "stats" you're talking about? Or are you talking about the kind of "stats" Obama and Eric Holder tried to fabricate by running guns into Mexico via their F&F scheme? You know, the scheme in which the ATF told gun shops to sell multiple guns to known straw purchasers, knowing they were all going to Mexico to pad their "stats"?

�������������������������������������������������� �������������������������������������������������� �������������������������������������������������� �������������������������������������������������� ����������������������������
See all these guns that were bought in the U.S. And ended up in the hands of the Mexican drug cartels? The only problem was the gun runners were found out and they turned out to be none other than our transparent federal government.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:44 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
.......Norwegian police were unarmed before Breivik. They remained unarmed to this day except in special (and I mean very special circumstances). The Norwegian people simply did not see why more firearms would fix anything. ........
Things vary. I come from a military police force that was unarmed day to day (if the balloon went up, that's another story). But in hand to hand, I'll put someone in the hospital in the blink of an eye.

Once, after the Navy, we were talking about police procedures when a civilian police man causes a death. I raised my hand and asked what if it was hand to hand? Despite the questioning eyes from my purely civilian class mates, the prof (an ex trooper himself), said "Same thing.".

Afterwards in office hours when I saw him, I said, "Forgive my question tonight, Sir, but it is the way I have been trained."

And he responded, "Well, that's understandable. Often those selected for military police are the best brawlers.".

Guns or otherwise, it's the attitude, the motivation that will put someone in the hospital.......and it will be up to the Fates whether it is the ER or the morgue.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:27 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
These libbies are going to encourage a new wave of gun buying. They aren't fooling anyone into thinking there is mass support for their silly gun control proposals.. they are nanny state statists doing what nanny state statists do best.

They are going to make people run to the republican party just like the republicans make people run to the democrat party over their stupid war on drugs....

I encourage people to buy more guns in response to these liberals and get CCW permits.. take some safety classes too! They are really quite enlightening for the casual shooter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies