Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2015, 03:36 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
There was already an assault weapons ban back in 1994 and lasted for a decade. What good did that do?
And since the ban was lifted, how many crimes have been committed with a so called assault weapon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 03:39 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Oh sure. It makes total sense that little old ladies and pastors should carry weapons to church because guns are so common in this country that a low IQ, racist a-hole is given a gun as a birthday gift by a similarly low IQ parent who has no idea that his son is planning to start a race war.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:50 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Do you know how large military bases are, and how few MPs there are on duty at any given time?
I can tell you for a fact that back in the early 90's, I was able to get into Ft. Hood and made it to where the tanks were all lined up without a single person questioning me. As a matter of fact, I even picked up a 40 mm practice grenade (dud - yes, I know still dangerous) when I was trying to track down a guy to borrow a couple of tanks.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:53 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
[quote=phma;40076940]Would David upgrade his sling to a gun today ? Hummm Yes! Probably an M16 hmmm

Maybe the problem is we don't have enough cops in bible study ? HummmPerhaps we do need more hmmmm

Maybe a buddy system for church attendants. One out of three has to have a carry permit. Hummm[/QUOTE
Perhaps 2 of the three would be better, Hmmm

Old 06-19-2015, 04:02 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
If more people in that church had a gun then maybe more people would still be alive and the gun man be shot earlier.

If there were more guns my grand parents may have survived and not die in Auswitz and died at the hands of the Nazi's and being taken away as lame ducks but able to at least take some down.

Usually cops are too late for a shooting as they are called after the fact and perhaps can prevent another person from getting shot but they usually are not on the spot when the crazy person starts shooting.

In the Netherlands there is no gun policy and look how many people get shot every year.
Lol... Here we go again with the nutty "more guns = more safety!" argument.

But we don't have to theorize - we can use ACTUAL DATA!!!

What parts of America have the most guns, especially high-power guns that gun-nuts love? Why, the violence torn inner cities, where murder rates are sky-high and lots of people are armed! Oh, wait... crime and violence is sky-high despite all the guns... Well, maybe if we armed all the citizens to the teeth they could stop the crimes... by standing around on guard all day and night, I guess? By shooting any "suspicious" looking cars or people in their neighborhood? Nah...

Well, all right - so maybe the places with the most guns are actually the most dangerous in America, but that's surely an American fluke, right? I mean, places like the Middle East, Afghanistan, Somalia, and all those other failed states with lots of guns are great, safe places to live... except they aren't.

As for the rest of the OP's notion, get real:
- If being armed prevented you from being shot, soldiers and cops would never die in the line of duty. That makes for a great action movie, but is not reality
- No armed citizens had any chance of stopping the Nazis
- Let's look at some more facts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ted_death_rate

- Homicide rate by guns in the US per 100,000 citizens = 10.64
- Homicide rate by guns in the Netherlands per 100,000 citizens = 0.46

Yes, clearly the Netherlands is a place of sooooo many gun murders, and clearly the US needs more guns. Right.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:28 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Do you know how large military bases are, and how few MPs there are on duty at any given time?

yes I do know, I have lived on military bases. just how many guns does a situation need to take down a bad guy down? in lots of these threads gun supporters say they only need one gun to neutralize a situation. guess you don't agree?

Old 06-19-2015, 04:33 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I can tell you for a fact that back in the early 90's, I was able to get into Ft. Hood and made it to where the tanks were all lined up without a single person questioning me. As a matter of fact, I even picked up a 40 mm practice grenade (dud - yes, I know still dangerous) when I was trying to track down a guy to borrow a couple of tanks.
Oh, man, that was you? I was there too, I was picking up my sea serpents and packing them on my extra large magic carpet for the weekend....

Old 06-19-2015, 04:57 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
I just watched Jon Stewart's show from last night, and as he said, we will all talk about how terrible this was, and then we'll do jack **** about it. Because when it come to guns in this country, that's what we do. Give lip service to the terrible tragedy and the go on as if nothing happened...until the next time, when we will give lip service to the terror once more and then go on as if nothing happened.

But this is the part that really resonated:

"What blows my mind is the disparity of response between when we think people that are foreign are going to kill us, and us killing ourselves.

If this had been what we thought was Islamic terrorism, it would fit into our--we invaded two countries and spent trillions of dollars and thousands of American lives [...] all to keep Americans safe. We'll do whatever we can. We'll torture people. Got to do whatever we can to keep Americans safe. Nine people shot in a church. What about that? [People say] "Well, what are you going to do?" That's the part I can't wrap my head around."

Me neither. I can't wrap my head around the fact that we invade a country to keep Americans safe from foreigners but we do nothing to keep Americans safe from the gun violence right here in our own country. We'll advocate all out war against ISIS for killing four Americans, but throw up our hands and say, "Oh, well, nothing we can do," when Americans are being murdered by the thousands right here.

It makes no sense.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:49 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
If more people in that church had a gun then maybe more people would still be alive and the gun man be shot earlier.

If there were more guns my grand parents may have survived and not die in Auswitz and died at the hands of the Nazi's and being taken away as lame ducks but able to at least take some down.

Usually cops are too late for a shooting as they are called after the fact and perhaps can prevent another person from getting shot but they usually are not on the spot when the crazy person starts shooting.

In the Netherlands there is no gun policy and look how many people get shot every year.

Ya know--how about this? Bulletproof vests can be passed out at the doors of churches and schools (oh, right, and maybe movie theaters). That way asocial idiots and crazies can have all the guns they want and everyone will stay safe.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:52 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:

I don't think they would have been able to react in time, unless if all those people who had guns had their guns in their hands, loaded, safety off than yea they would probably have shot the gun man earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies