Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2015, 12:58 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Nonsense. Please read American history books. White America has a legacy of excusing its crimes. Whites have endless commemorations of criminals all over, especially in the South. Denial doesn't change the truth.
Do you want a pound of flesh? Will that do?

Old 06-19-2015, 01:02 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Do you want a pound of flesh? Will that do?
Angry much? Just stating the obvious. Calm down.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:15 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Bing, bing, bing. You just nailed it.

You just nailed why white people react the way that they do.

God made me to be super-objective when looking at life. So I see how white people respond to racial issues, and most responses are to backtrack - almost to a fault because they don't want the label. And it almost becomes to be like the school bully. No one will stand up and fight back. Look at the comedians - black people can make fun of white people - no problems. White people make fun of black people - oh hell... it's on now...

Now I am not saying whites should shoot up a bunch of people. But they should stand up to the rhetoric when it's not true. If there are single instances of racism among white people - call it out. I think the pushback will create a different dynamic where maybe things will be viewed and discussed differently. But right now, the black racists are setting the tone, there is no substantive resistance from white people... people continue to get frustrated to where people get destructive instead of constructive to solve these problems. White people kill blacks... blacks people tear up communities... it's a mess.
Agreed. Too; when decent Black people call out the hood rats, sometimes THEY get called house N words and so on. It ain't just a "white" thing.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
You understand that Jewish people also have similar issues and what most Jews do is focus on positive things in life and move on. I feel the same way as a Jewish person and why would everyone keep listening to whining and complaining while so many other people from the same background and race are successful and focus on positive things and don't agree with constant complaining of whatever group and constantly hear that it is "racism" whenever someone doesn't like something that is the first on their mind and not that the person may not be a nice person or not handling it right.
Out of a 100 of a group's people; Jews have probably suffered the MOST losses of "their kind" in history through murder yet they keep bouncing back. Damn, talk about a TOUGH culture there! Yowza!

Old 06-19-2015, 01:22 PM

39,220 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Nonsense. Please read American history books. White America has a legacy of excusing its crimes. Whites have endless commemorations of criminals all over, especially in the South. Denial doesn't change the truth.
Personality plays a role. Some people are more prone to rumination than others. Nearly everyone dwells in the past at some point, but some people do it more often and are more likely to get stuck in their thoughts.

Not a white thing. There are SOME brown, yellow, black, white, red, or whatever color just cannot stop dwelling in the past.

Battles win wars, topple thrones, and redraw borders. Every age of human history has experienced battles that have been instrumental in molding the future. Battles influence the spread of culture, civilization, and religious dogma. They introduce weapons, tactics, and leaders who dominate future conflicts. Some battles have even been influential not for their direct results, but for the impact of their propaganda on public opinion.

This is certainly not a white or southern thing, it is the human thing.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:31 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Now granted, I have been fortunate to maintain a decent socioeconomic status, raised in a upper middle income household during childhood, educated post-grad, and have enjoyed other wonderful pleasures of life as a black woman. For months I have been emotionally and mentally worn out by the ongoing racial tensions that occur here in our country. I posted something last week about Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome, and after studying it I saw that it too could affect the black race, but this right here hits it on the head for me. I know that many say, "Blacks should stop complaining." We complain, because we live in a country where we are subjected to ongoing racism, injustice, and discrimination. I dare not ask anyone to fully understand, but with it now having a name- I surely believe that this is what I am currently experiencing along with many other blacks here in the United States. I also am not asking for empathy or sympathy, but along with the other struggles that we endure to try to be successful and live a decent life, blacks do have additional burdens that we have to contend with living here in the USA.

Black America ‘suffering from racial battle fatigue’ after barrage of incidents | theGrio

I also like the segment from John Stewart last night, he truly gets it! We have to start addressing this problem that is homegrown and fix it.

Jon Stewart on Charleston: 'No jokes,' 'Just Sadness' - CNNPolitics.com
Let me take a stab at this...

Many moons ago, I was walking home from the gym. I was very young, had on a Mickey Mouse t-shirt for crying out loud, and decent looking sweats. I asked an elderly couple for the time. The lady recoiled in horror, her husband shielding her, as if I was going to attack them. It really pissed me off that they judged me so incorrectly.

Not long after that, I was crossing the street, in the cross walk, when the white walk signal showed. As I approached a car sitting at the intersection, the person locked their door, as if I was going to do something to them.

I am not menacing in any way, shape, or form. Most people think I'm far younger than I look, and at that age, I still looked like a kid. I didn't dress up in some crazy outfit, my hair wasn't dyed, I didn't have a thousand piercings, there was nothing about me that would signal: "danger" to another human being. Oh, and I'm white. A very young white girl, wearing young girl clothes, (meaning young adult).

I will admit, I did think to myself: Is this what blacks go through every day? If so, it would tick me off, and it would be exhausting.

Keep in mind, I was young.

I've faced discrimination in my life, as well. I'm female. You know, being female, that you face discrimination. You're too stupid, you're too fat, you're not pretty enough, you aren't wearing the right clothes, you are not as capable as this guy or that guy, you should be in the kitchen, you shouldn't have an opinion, etc. Throw in looking way younger than you are, and it gets heightened.

But you learn as you get older. You learn not to give a damn what some tool shed thinks of you. It's NOT my problem if some idiot wants to think I'm just a dumb girl who shouldn't have an opinion. It's NOT my problem if someone thinks my only purpose on earth is to please them and then make them a sandwich. It's NOT my problem if someone thinks I'm too dumb to learn anything. It's NOT my problem if someone thinks I'm incapable of a task because they think I'm not strong enough.

Now I could go through my life all ticked off and exhausted because I give those fools any rent in my mind, but as I got older, I stopped being that type of landlord. I learned, quite some time ago: You, nor anyone else on this planet, has the power to offend me, has the power to tick me off, has the power to exhaust me, has the power to make me feel less than what I am. I AM the only person who has that power, and I choose not to allow it in my life.

Seriously, when you stop giving a damn what others think, you don't get tired.

Yes, I've not gotten jobs because I'm "a girl".
Yes, I've not gotten advancements or a bonus because I'm "a girl".
Yes, I get disrespected all the time when I'm out and about because I'm "a girl".
And yes, I also got followed around in stores because I looked way younger than I was, and apparently some people think that all young people are in stores to steal, or that they don't have any money. (I got my revenge one day when I was treated poorly in a certain store. I left, went to the bank, withdrew some money, came back to the store, handed them my credit card, told them I was paying off the balance right then and there and wanted them to canx that card, told them the reason why, and when I opened that envelope filled with cash, they couldn't hide their shock and surprise that someone like me would have that kind of money. It was a delicious day.)
Yes, I've been treated poorly by my own car insurance company who didn't want to back me up when someone hit me, simply because the person who hit me was a "40 year old district manager" and he surely knew more about "driving" than I did.

Don't think that we all haven't seen discrimination, because we all have.

You choose to let it lead your life, or you choose to lead your own life. I try to focus on the good people I meet. I don't care if it's something as small as someone letting me go in front of them at the grocery store because I only have 5 items in my hand while they have a basket full. I take my positive where I can get it, and I do what I can to leave the negative that people like to try to push on me, right there with that person.

Now, you can say that I can't possibly understand, that's fine, but I sure hope you got something from this, and don't just dismiss it because you think I don't have a clue what it's like to face discrimination.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Personality plays a role. Some people are more prone to rumination than others. Nearly everyone dwells in the past at some point, but some people do it more often and are more likely to get stuck in their thoughts.

Not a white thing. There are SOME brown, yellow, black, white, red, or whatever color just cannot stop dwelling in the past.

Battles win wars, topple thrones, and redraw borders. Every age of human history has experienced battles that have been instrumental in molding the future. Battles influence the spread of culture, civilization, and religious dogma. They introduce weapons, tactics, and leaders who dominate future conflicts. Some battles have even been influential not for their direct results, but for the impact of their propaganda on public opinion.

This is certainly not a white or southern thing, it is the human thing.
Agreed.

Like what the Romans did to what's now England over 1,000 years ago, it was about as ugly what the English did to the Irish 300 years ago. OTOH: some of the "good things" that came down HELPED the English and Irish many years later.

Even tho Hitler was a nasty dude; word was a lot of what the Nazis did do were kept in place after WW 2 because they did solve a lot of "day to day" problems in many European cultures.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:39 PM

39,220 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed.

Like what the Romans did to what's now England over 1,000 years ago, it was about as ugly what the English did to the Irish 300 years ago. OTOH: some of the "good things" that came down HELPED the English and Irish many years later.

Even tho Hitler was a nasty dude; word was a lot of what the Nazis did do were kept in place after WW 2 because they did solve a lot of "day to day" problems in many European cultures.
Yes..

Hitler might be a nasty dude, Stalin was way worse. (in my own opinion.)

Old 06-19-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yes..

Hitler might be a nasty dude, Stalin was way worse. (in my own opinion.)
Agreed. Tho both were despicable.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:34 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
My post was in reference to the here and now. We are not living in the 1800s, maybe you are living there in your own mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies