Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Dylann be put to death by the state of South Carolina?
No, I'm a liberal 16 10.26%
No, I'm a conservative 16 10.26%
Yes, I'm a liberal 44 28.21%
Yes, I'm a conservative 80 51.28%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 08:46 AM

625 posts, read 623,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I was thinking how the general public opinion will probably be overwhelming in favor of his execution since most conservatives support capital punishment in general, and many liberals would in this case too since it's a hate crime and his death would be like revenge for Trayvon, Mike Brown, etc.

Personally I'm against the death penalty for anyone, and I can just tell by looking at his photos that Dylann Roof is mentally disturbed in some way. I see his action as a manifestation of racial hatred that's been cooked up by the media since Obama was elected. Not to say he's not responsible of course, but I just don't feel like killing him would help advance social justice and many of his victims' families don't want him to die.
Revenge for Trayvon?? Huh? That's a disturbingly skewed view of our justice system.

You can see "mental disturbance" just by looking? You should quit your day job immediately and get hired diagnosing mental problems by looking. You'll be rich rich rich.

Before we throw a rope for Roof, he gets his day in court. A long distasteful defense: his sad childhood, problems in school, his history as a social misfit, misunderstood and marginalized by his own white community, blah blah blah.

Mr. Roof deserves a fair trial if for no other reason than to expose his crime for what it was: an obscene vial racially-motivated act of terror and hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 08:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,741,672 times
Hanging this creature in a public square in front of God and everybody will, if nothing else, prevent him from doing this atrocity again. Preventing a repeat of the crime justifies hanging this person, insane or not.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:47 AM

33,539 posts, read 18,133,815 times
That is up to the judge and jury who will decide. The guy may be mentally ill to the extreme.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:19 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,504,600 times
I don't know. I heard it cost more taxpayer money to keep someone on death row for 20 years than to just keep them in prison. I'm undecided. Can't we just keep him in solitary for the rest of his life? I could get on board with that.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:33 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,300,626 times
Default Should Dylann Roof be executed?

Yes, TODAY! Drawn and quartered, British style.

The person was hanged by the neck, then disemboweled and had his genitalia removed, which were burned. Beheading came next, and then the remaining body was cut into four parts. Technically, this isn’t quartering a body, since the body was really cut into five pieces.

Screw the hate crime crap, he killed 9 people, saying it's a hate crime doesn't make it any worse.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV...VQd3mt3zYcQZ8-

Old 06-20-2015, 10:36 AM

15,522 posts, read 10,483,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
can we do it this week
No kidding. The cops could have spared us all a lot of wasted time and effort by just shooting the SOB to death.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:36 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,779,388 times
If he's avoids death penalty.

His only chance of survival in jail is to be some aryian gang members new boyfriend so they can protect him.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:48 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,351,603 times
I'm against the death penalty except in cases of overwhelming evidence, or admitted guilt. Additionally the crime should be of such severity to make the death penalty appropriate.

I believe he has admitted his guilt, and the evidence is overwhelming. The severity of the crime is certainly deserving of it. As such, he should be put to death.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:21 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,150,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I'm against the death penalty except in cases of overwhelming evidence, or admitted guilt. Additionally the crime should be of such severity to make the death penalty appropriate.

I believe he has admitted his guilt, and the evidence is overwhelming. The severity of the crime is certainly deserving of it. As such, he should be put to death.
Even if ruled mentally incompetent?

What if by some chance it can be shown that the meds he was on can have a negative effect on some people?

Old 06-20-2015, 11:35 AM

5,658 posts, read 5,083,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Even if ruled mentally incompetent?
Yes. Not a mitigating factor. He committed the crime and should be executed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies