Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 03:13 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,229,381 times

Advertisements

Lancaster Native brought Vietnam up, I just responded.

Have you seen me call Bush anything but Bush? You're doing what you complain others do, lump people who disagree or challenge you (generic) into one group and vilify them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 03:41 PM

1,409 posts, read 4,854,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
I have to give it to the Dems on this one...calling Bush "the Shrub" is much wittier than "algore"
Since the whole Amnesty debacle, I've been known to call him Jorge Arbusto now and then

Old 01-22-2008, 03:43 PM

Thumbs up Hear, hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
Yes, he has shown liberal tendencies. He was right about taxes, stem cell research, and the need for a strong national defence.

He is way, way wrong on immigration, No Child Left Behind, Department of Homeland Security, increasing the size of government, massive spending increases, and so on.

Better than Kerry? Well, yeah, of course, but not far, far from perfect. Or conservative.
We are in total agreement

Old 01-22-2008, 03:44 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,872,527 times
I don't know what exactly compassionate conservative means. I like to think of myself as a mean, vile, nasty conservative, but that's just me.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Is there some reason why you choose to misspell Al Gore?
Anymore, it's kindof a habit. The original gag was a Rush-ism, coined in a skit where Clinton was "Count Taxula" with his assistant Algore (instead of Igor)...

But if you pay close attention, the speech patterns reflecting this have seeped deeply into the public's subconscious. The pronunciation as a single bisyllabic word ("AL' gor") instead of two distinct words ("al GORE'") is noticeable even among mainstream journalists/commentators on the likes of ABC, NBC, CNN, etc.

Funny, if you ask me...

Old 01-22-2008, 03:53 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,708,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Lancaster Native brought Vietnam up, I just responded.

Have you seen me call Bush anything but Bush? You're doing what you complain others do, lump people who disagree or challenge you (generic) into one group and vilify them.
lol, get over yourself.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:11 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,992,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
Conservatism IS compassion. It does not need a modifier.

I agree with dunkel25 above. As GWB has plainly showed us, a "compassionate conservative" is really just a liberal masquerading as a Republican—also known as a "RINO"!
What do you consider to be the most compassionate aspect of conservatism?

Old 01-22-2008, 06:18 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,992,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Yeah... I would only refer to people who donate more time and money on average to charities as compassionate. Wait... that would be conservatives...
that would be religious people in general. According to the study that you're probably citing, secular conservatives are the scroogiest of the scrooges, giving considerably less than secular libs and way less than religious liberals (who give very slightly less than religious conservatives, the difference might be statistically insignificant). This might have something to do with too many secular conservatives getting their life philosophies from Ayn Rand and self-help entrepreneur books. Religious people tend to be more conservative, so naturally conservatives are going to be more generous with the charities (although it could be that secular people give more in other ways that weren't included in the study), but it's unlikely that such generosity springs from their views on government economic policy.

Last edited by fishmonger; 01-22-2008 at 06:37 PM..

Old 01-22-2008, 07:45 PM

110 posts, read 58,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Very, very debatable, I don't think the man who won the popular vote in 2000 would have mired us in Iraq, then again the man who spoke out against using the military for nation building shouldn't have either.

That doesn't explain how a man TWICE nominated by the Republican Party can be accused of masquerading as a Republican. It's an attempt to disown the wayward son. To paraphrase Rumsfeld, you don't get the party you want, you get the party it's evolved into.

And no, I don't think the adjective would be necessary if conservatives were compassionate, you can try to dress 'em up but it doesn't change the man underneath.
Or the woman underneath for that matter.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
What do you consider to be the most compassionate aspect of conservatism?
There are several, and they're all inter-related...

Conservatism leaves people at liberty to use their gifts, contribute to society, and reap material prosperity in return.

Conservatism recognizes the innate dignity and worth of each individual, rather than dividing people into collective, identity-based groups.

Conservatism allows people to reach their full potential as human beings, without hindrance or limitation.

Conservatism fosters the human capacity for imagination, intelligence, wonder, and achievement.

Conservatism does not keep people trapped in a cycle of dependency, inadequacy, entitlement and "victimhood."

Conservatism trusts in the average, ordinary citizen; recognizes that citizen's abilities; and does not throw up government obstacles to that citizen's pursuit of happiness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies