Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 08:40 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times

Advertisements

Last year while on vacation to the northwest, my wife and friends that we were visiting with made a trip to Victoria Canada via ferry from a port in Bellingham Wa. We were checked for visas and asked questions as to what and why we were going into Victoria when the ferry arrived at their port. And again when leaving Victoria the Canadian authorities were the ONLY ones asking questions and checking id. When we arrived at the Bellingham Wa. port – there was NO ONE there to monitor who was getting off the boat and entering the country. No Homeland Security was seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 03:56 PM

309 posts, read 365,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Last year while on vacation to the northwest, my wife and friends that we were visiting with made a trip to Victoria Canada via ferry from a port in Bellingham Wa. We were checked for visas and asked questions as to what and why we were going into Victoria when the ferry arrived at their port. And again when leaving Victoria the Canadian authorities were the ONLY ones asking questions and checking id. When we arrived at the Bellingham Wa. port – there was NO ONE there to monitor who was getting off the boat and entering the country. No Homeland Security was seen.
This is likely when arriving into the Port of Bellingham......during lunch hour/dinner time or on a Federal holiday.
Also.......when the Homeland Security are all tied up detaining another person from Victoria with a sack of weed, a pipe and maybe some hash.
Happens all the time!

Old 01-22-2008, 04:33 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westchester View Post
Do you think we will have another attack on U.S. soil........I really thought we would have been attacked again some how...........Do you think it will happen again........and what do you think they might go after.......
It is not a question of IF, it is merely WHEN

Old 01-22-2008, 07:30 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
I only fear only more of the same incompetence, bungling, and failures of this administration.

IF ~ proper procedures had been followed on 9-11 commercial aircraft that went off course would have or should have been checked by the air force after traffic controllers reported something wrong.

WHEN ~ the government agencies received valid information about the possible threats and reported to the proper authorities – proper actions would or could have been taken. Security agencies had received over 60 valid pieces of information about this thread of aircraft hitting buildings yet nothing was done because higher up offices ignored the information.

So the IF and WHEN seems to be isolated to THIS administration and their failures at the higher levels of government as to the proper and correct responses to be taken and thus lead to the events of 9-11. This administration has failed in correct responsible responses to Katrina as well. This administration has failed to provide truthful information and act upon it, lied about WMDs and caused a war with a nation that had nothing to do with the Saudi Arabian terrorists. Managed to bungle the war effort in a timely manor, missed getting Osama Bin Laden when they could have. Cause the economy of this country to go into the toilet and now it appears the other major countries in the world also are affected by the higher priced oil. Yes,,,, IF and WHEN is right now. The total destruction of our government through mismanagement of what should be done to help the economy from going into a full depression with the direction of George W.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:35 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Eventually, I think it is inevitable. I have no idea of what kind of target they would choose, perhaps something innocent so as to maximize the revulsion and impact.
I tend to agree--"hard" targets are too risky--so probably the US Capitol Bldg or the Golden Gate Bridge, or the US Senate in session (drat !) are safe. But "soft" targets are FAR too numerous to monitor--and, in many ways, higher in the coveted 'revulsion' factor---for example, a large High-School graduation ceremony (complete with grads and extended families)---Or something REALLY macho, like an entire regional convention of Girl Scouts. Something to spread maximum heartbreak, maximum psychological horror, but nearly impossible to foresee.

Get those 72 Virgins ready !!!

Old 01-22-2008, 10:43 PM

309 posts, read 365,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I only fear only more of the same incompetence, bungling, and failures of this administration.

IF ~ proper procedures had been followed on 9-11 commercial aircraft that went off course would have or should have been checked by the air force after traffic controllers reported something wrong.

WHEN ~ the government agencies received valid information about the possible threats and reported to the proper authorities – proper actions would or could have been taken. Security agencies had received over 60 valid pieces of information about this thread of aircraft hitting buildings yet nothing was done because higher up offices ignored the information.

So the IF and WHEN seems to be isolated to THIS administration and their failures at the higher levels of government as to the proper and correct responses to be taken and thus lead to the events of 9-11. This administration has failed in correct responsible responses to Katrina as well. This administration has failed to provide truthful information and act upon it, lied about WMDs and caused a war with a nation that had nothing to do with the Saudi Arabian terrorists. Managed to bungle the war effort in a timely manor, missed getting Osama Bin Laden when they could have. Cause the economy of this country to go into the toilet and now it appears the other major countries in the world also are affected by the higher priced oil. Yes,,,, IF and WHEN is right now. The total destruction of our government through mismanagement of what should be done to help the economy from going into a full depression with the direction of George W.
I'm not one to disagree with you about the NUMEROUS failures directly associated with THIS administration and I DO look forward to the day when it's finally over......BUT,

LOOK at what happened under Bill Clinton's two terms!
The World Trade Center was bombed in the parking garage by these same "extremists." THEY......HAD had their eye on those towers for a VERY long time......among whatever else?
DOMESTIC TERRORISM............Timothy McVeigh, Okla. City......remember??

I just disagree with those who BLAME whoever the current President may be......for things that "they" may not have had much capacity to prevent!

It is the actions taken since 9/11 that have truly disturbed me with this administration, with the WAR, secrecy, lies, manipulation, deception and a BLATANT disregard for what became a MAJORITY opinion of the PEOPLE to END the war.........only to be ignored!
The passing of the Patriot Act and other laws which clearly.......invade American's RIGHTS, privacy and remove more FREEDOM and liberties is another very disturbing outcome of this misguided "War on Terror."

Bill Clinton was NO BETTER while in office...........HE just got lucky in the sense that a terror attack like 9/11 didn't happen to occur under his "watch."
Bill Clinton........with HIS NAFTA approval.....likely facilitated the huge influx of ILLEGAL immigrants into this nation AND expedited further outsourcing of American jobs.....ALL in one swoop with a pen! For all we know........NAFTA just made it easier for WHOEVER to get into this country as a result!

NEITHER President though can be held accountable, IMO........for terrorism that occured against America.......when we HAVE plenty of intelligence agencies and a superior military that are SUPPOSED to be on top of things and COMMUNICATE with EACH OTHER......of what they each know or speculate in regards to ALL threats!

THEY CAN BE HELD ACCOUTABLE for: Passing LAWS that make it far easier for foreign ENEMIES to come and go so freely in America, all the while allowing WHOEVER....... many fine opportunities to conduct their own devious surveillance and create of a PLAN of ATTACK here on American soil!

They FACE major criticism from the PC, bleeding-heart liberals, lawyers and ACLU if they DARE acknowledge any form of "racial profiling" techniques and face a ton of blowback from the media and "critics" if they dare offend any particular group or race nowadays!

So........it's a LOT of people's faults that inevitably, contribute to and.......AID any enemy at succeeding a terror attack on America, IMO!
It truly comes down to Corporate / politician's GREED to ever expand "Globalization" and a FREE MARKET trade which "inadvertantly" ALLOWS an OPEN BORDER for easier access for foreign ENEMIES to enter and thus, jeopardize American SECURITY at the expense of the American people because of the pursuit and lust of the "almighty dollar" FOR Corporate interest and gain...... more than anything else, IMO!

The CIA, Pentagon, NSA, FBI, Customs/Border Patrol.......and along with a well-funded military which is quite capable of highly accurate aerial surveillance......ANYWHERE in the world.........SHOULD ALL have worked TOGETHER and done a far better job than they did at COMMUNICATING with EACH OTHER........instead of some form of competition against each other!

There were MANY signs that the events of 9/11.......were in the making.....YEARS BEFORE BUSH EVER TOOK OFFICE........and whatever intelligence was known.......just was NOT communicated at ALL levels of interagency security/intel. like it should have been.......and I have to assume that whatever WAS known........truly was NOT actually perceived as such a major threat, and therefore......COMPLACENCY and "superior-attitude" within the military leaders/intelligence "experts" were clouded with an "invincible perception." They truly felt like NOTHING would or dare do such a thing against this Superpower nation of America.......or at least NOT literally on American soil! Over in Europe, maybe.........but NOT HERE!

Same thing occured just prior to the Dec. 7, 1941 ATTACK on Pearl Harbor too! Too much INFO. and INTEL. was ignored and/disbelieved and discredited. Complacency = our defeat! Vigilance wanes with the passage of time and eventually allows many "weak links" within the proverbial CHAIN.

ON the morning of 9/11..........the obvious.....was overlooked by many who may have suspected a lot of things that were NOT right, prior to the actual hijackings.......but I suspect, it very likely WAS PLANNED to be FAR GREATER of an attack that day......on many, many more targets.......and do to the unprecedented, albeit VERY WISE decision, to CEASE ALL AIR TRAFFIC immediately.....over EVERY sq. mile of American airspace..........likely, a LOT MORE lives and buildings were saved!

Now......Do I think we WILL have another 9/11?

Very likely in some fashion, maybe even another similar one, but I would suspect the biggest goal of these terrorists would be to kill as many as possible......ALONG with achieving whatever necessary as to completely DISRUPT or STOP........us economically.......in our tracks!
They obviously wish to SEE Americans suffer as a WHOLE nation...........and what better way than to CRIPPLE us economically?

So, with that......yeah, our financial institutions, Wall Street along with ANYTHING symbolic of FREEDOM and a FREE market.......are likely their biggest targets......along possibly, with the greatest disruption of mass transportation (airports, rail, highways, etc.)........AND...their desire to instill as much FEAR as possible.......(packed football stadiums)?
SCARY crap for sure!

Too MANY possible targets to achieve these stupid goals.......but, being they ARE suicidal........they HATE US and WHAT WE stand for..........yeah, it's only a matter of time again and THAT IS what truly is SCARY!

Last edited by Skytripper; 01-22-2008 at 11:09 PM..

Old 01-23-2008, 02:29 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Wow...

I do not think so under a rep President and some control by rep in the congress. Why? because they believe in a strong military and our enemies know they will get their butts kicked if they do this again.
What a joke. Reps were in charge on 9/11. Why didn't they do something BEFORE it happened?

Oh yeah, they talk a good game but they don't really play one.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:21 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times
Since 9/11 happened I have tried to kind of educate myself, or at least attempt to get an understanding, as to what the extremest, fanatic, terrorists goals are by reading what the educated people say that study these kind of things. I wanted to try to figure out what they thought their reasons were for attacking our country.
Most so called "experts" say the terrorists goals are not to kill as many people as possible, but to instill terror in the minds of a populace by committing atrocious, unspeakable acts against whoever it is they consider their enemy. Of course the more casualties there are, the more effective the mission.
They know they can't invade our country and take it over with what military forces they have. They would be crushed if they tried to do it that way.
So they try to tear our country down one brick at a time. And they do it the cowards way. They attack innocent people who are most vulnerable. They kill by attacking buses, planes, terminals, weddings, places of business, tall buildings with thousands of people in them. National monuments that reflect a countrys heritage. They would even attack a funeral or religious service. Any place where the citizens they are attacking aren't likely to be able to defend themselves at the given moment.
They want us to lose our freedom by the very steps we take to prevent more attacks. This is already happening.
They know they can't kill us all so they want us to be terrified.
I read terror is defined as taking control over people by causing mortal, deathly fear in peoples minds.
That seems to be the agenda of bin laden and his cronies.
What more effective way to terrorize than to kill innocent men, women, and children who are just going about their daily, routine activities.
Personaly, I don't think the war against terror will end anytime soon. I hope I am wrong. But there are so many fanatics in this world that I think it could go on and on.
I'm really concerned about my kids and grandkids generations, and beyond, and their way of American life. Will they know the America I have known for most of my life?
I had no problem with going into Afghanistan to kick butt after we were attacked. I think we should have used all our resources to handle that and finish the job. My son was there for almost a year and although I worried alot, I know we have to do what we have to do sometimes.
I think Irag was a huge mistake under the circumstances and just made the terrorist minded faction more determined to cause harm and show us their hate.
Yes, I think there will be more attacks. I believe they will be on a smaller scale due in part to our security precautions in place.
Like another poster mentioned, I worry about all the miles of unprotected border with Canada.
How easy would it be for someone to slip into Canada or Mexico and then the U.S. undetected with some kind of chemical weapons or even a small nuclear device. I'm sure our neighbors are concerned also and are doing what they can. At least I hope so. Problem is, neither they nor us can observe every possible entry point of such a large area.
Hopefully, the new administration that takes over next year will "walk softly and carry a big stick" instead of seeming to try to make the world hate us without considering what the end results might be.
Certain national events stand out in peoples memory for as long as they live whether or not they are terrorist related.
I'll never forget where I was or what I was doing when I heard John Kennedy was killed.
I'll never forget the horrible scenes on TV on 9/11.
I went to work that evening and while sitting outside at a picnic table eating lunch, I looked up into a clear blue sky and didn't see any contrails from the jet planes. I live in an area where there are always contrails crisscrossing each other. I always thought how pretty that was and wandered where the people were going.
Up untill then I think I was kind of in a daze about what I had seen on TV and hoped it was just a bad dream. When my mind realized that the contrails were missing from the sky, I knew then that our world had surely changed. No one was going anywhere. There were no planes in the sky. They had always been there before in my lifetime.

No matter how I feel about the Irag war, I support our troops 100% wherever they might be. They come from a long line of Americans that have made themselves available to serve our country. My Dad, myself, two of my sons, other family members and many friends, are proud to be a part of that group.

Last edited by Robhu; 01-23-2008 at 03:36 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-23-2008, 05:56 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,670 times
I believe it will happen again, or at least an attempt will be made. I'm all for locking down our borders and kicking out the illegals, but the trouble makers are probably already here.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:26 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
It is only a matter of time and it will happen yet again. Why? Because for Americans are notorious for our short term memory. We will continue to relax our guard. We continue to allow an open border to the south. We have a movement that would rather blame our government for 9/11 than accept that it was a terrorist act.
We continue to meddle in others afairs. We continue to not only turn a blind eye to Israels misdeeds but give them more support than ever. We americans can be very biased in our sense of moral right to the point of blindness.
Possibly the most telling evidence of our weakness in security is our addiction to political correctness. Its okay to strip search a 90 year old woman but don't even think about kicking troublesome muslems off a plane. Does it matter that they are intensionally pushing the limits? Almost page for page out of the what to look for handbook? NOPE . Its better to appease a few and look sensitive than it is to use common sense.
Another 911 will happen. I am just happy not to live in a city or near any Nuclear power plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies