Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 12:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You talk about that poster being hateful & then you post this?

That despicable flag has no business on government grounds. Period.
Lots of illegals feel that same way about the US Flag.

Maybe we should get rid of all flags and just fly a pirate flag. Everyone likes pirates.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:51 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yeah that sounds legit. The rebel flag is as toxic as the Nazi symbol is. However unlike Germany, the US is filled with people who think that their right to free speech allows them to say or fly any flag they want regardless of it is in good taste or deeply offends others.

People like you literally make me want to just walk around all day long with a Nazi flag and a Confederate flag, and whatever else might hurt the feelings of some other leftist crybaby.

Reminds me of these quotes by Mencken...

Quote:
"Liberty and democracy are eternal enemies, and every one knows it who has ever given any sober reflection to the matter. A democratic state may profess to venerate the name, and even pass laws making it officially sacred, but it simply cannot tolerate the thing. In order to keep any coherence in the governmental process, to prevent the wildest anarchy in thought and act, the government must put limits upon the free play of opinion.

In part, it can reach that end by mere propaganda, by the bald force of its authority — that is, by making certain doctrines officially infamous. But in part it must resort to force, i.e., to law. One of the main purposes of laws in a democratic society is to put burdens upon intelligence and reduce it to impotence. Ostensibly, their aim is to penalize anti-social acts; actually their aim is to penalize heretical opinions.

At least ninety-five Americans out of every 100 believe that this process is honest and even laudable; it is practically impossible to convince them that there is anything evil in it. In other words, they cannot grasp the concept of liberty. Always they condition it with the doctrine that the state, i.e., the majority, has a sort of right of eminent domain in acts, and even in ideas — that it is perfectly free, whenever it is so disposed, to forbid a man to say what he honestly believes. Whenever his notions show signs of becoming "dangerous," ie, of being heard and attended to, it exercises that prerogative. And the overwhelming majority of citizens believe in supporting it in the outrage. Including especially the Liberals, who pretend — and often quite honestly believe — that they are hot for liberty. They never really are. Deep down in their hearts they know, as good democrats, that liberty would be fatal to democracy — that a government based upon shifting and irrational opinion must keep it within bounds or run a constant risk of disaster. They themselves, as a practical matter, advocate only certain narrow kinds of liberty — liberty, that is, for the persons they happen to favor. The rights of other persons do not seem to interest them."
Quote:
"What the common man longs for in this world, before and above all his other longings, is the simplest and most ignominious sort of peace: the peace of a trusty in a well-managed penitentiary. He is willing to sacrifice everything else to it. He puts it above his dignity and he puts it above his pride. Above all, he puts it above his liberty.

The fact, perhaps, explains his veneration for policemen, in all the forms they take–his belief that there is a mysterious sanctity in law, however absurd it may be in fact. A policeman is a charlatan who offers, in return for obedience, to protect him (a) from his superiors, (b) from his equals, and (c) from himself. This last service, under democracy, is commonly the most esteemed of them all. In the United States, at least theoretically, it is the only thing that keeps ice-wagon drivers, Y.M.C.A. secretaries, insurance collectors and other such human camels from smoking opium, ruining themselves in the night clubs, and going to Palm Beach with Follies girls.

Under the pressure of fanaticism, and with the mob complacently applauding the show, democratic law tends more and more to be grounded upon the maxim that every citizen is, by nature, a traitor, a libertine, and a scoundrel. In order to dissuade him from his evil-doing the police power is extended until it surpasses anything ever heard of in the oriental monarchies of antiquity."

Old 06-21-2015, 12:54 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You talk about that poster being hateful & then you post this?
There is a difference between calling out a specific post as being hateful, and dishonestly generalizing an entire group of people because of their skin color and/or political philosophy.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:56 PM

34,048 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
There is a difference between calling out a specific post as being hateful, and dishonestly generalizing an entire group of people because of their skin color and/or political philosophy.
Calling another poster a derogatory term is what that poster was properly called out for.

I notice you clipped out what the fragile replied to. The OldGlory post was edited. That says volumes about the poster.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:06 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotcall View Post
So my link to the United States Holocaust Museum isn't good enough? Come on, you can do better than that
I did do better than that - I pointed out the fact that search doesn't present history very well - As far as the site? Sure, it's okay, but it can never present "the facts" quite like a real history book from the library can.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:09 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Yeah, history and even heritage really is part of the fabric of the psyche down here. However, that shouldn't be mistaken for trying to erase or even whitewash the bad parts of our history. If anything, you'll likely learn more about slavery and what life was really like for slaves down here than you would in any history book. We're pretty upfront about it all. I guess it's just a Southern thing? We believe in remembering both the good and bad of our history. I actually think that's important because I would rather know and learn about everything, even the ugly, than to try and erase it and act like it didn't exist. As to the flag and how that fits in, I'm pretty whatever about it all. They could take it down tomorrow and I wouldn't care. Nor would I care if it's there. Really has no impact on my life. My interests actually lies more in Gullah art so I guess the flag is a non-entity in my life.
I guess we all have to figure out our own way to show, as George Santayana said, "Loyalty to our ancestors without including loyalty to their mistakes."

(Off topic however next time I'm in South Carolina, I'd like to make a long visit to Brookgreen Gardens)

Old 06-21-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Calling another poster a derogatory term is what that poster was properly called out for.
Fair enough - on that part I agree.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:16 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
The Flag has been around all these years, and will be around for many more.
If folks want to fly the confederate flag on their own property that is their business.

But it has no place on government buildings. It has become a symbol of hatred and white supremacy, as this Charleston massacre shows.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If folks want to fly the confederate flag on their own property that is their business.

But it has no place on government buildings. It has become a symbol of hatred and white supremacy, as this Charleston massacre shows.
I think it was more the drugs than a piece of cloth that made Roof go on a shooting spree.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:20 PM

So not take them down and put them in museums? How hard can it be.
As the same time, a flag isn't causing people to go on rampages.

Romney would have probably made a pretty good president. America made a mistake in 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies