Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 02:24 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,738,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
People like you literally make me want to just walk around all day long with a Nazi flag and a Confederate flag, and whatever else might hurt the feelings of some other leftist crybaby.

Reminds me of these quotes by Mencken...
But if I said that you are a racist sympathizer, you would complain that I shouldn't be able to speak my mind. Freedom of speech goes both ways and righties who complain about the lefists who complain that the righties are being a racist or racist sympathizer for waving a rebel flag or are against gay people by being against their right to marry.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,148,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
But if I said that you are a racist sympathizer, you would complain that I shouldn't be able to speak my mind. Freedom of speech goes both ways and righties who complain about the lefists who complain that the righties are being a racist or racist sympathizer for waving a rebel flag or are against gay people by being against their right to marry.
There's freedom of speech and then there's slander.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:29 PM

2,385 posts, read 1,579,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
For once I agree with him -remove this treacherous symbol of racism and slavery

Mitt Romney: Remove Confederate flag from South Carolina Capitol - CBS News
I have to agree with him, but this is not going to happen. Not like in other modern democratic countries articulating of racist, anti-semitic and nazi ideology is protected by th United States Constitution. So before you can ban certain flags you'll have to amend the U.S. Constitution.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:36 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,738,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There's freedom of speech and then there's slander.
When it is slander, you must prove it is entirely intentional disregard of the truth and facial rather than rhetoric and opinion. I may not like what Meryl Streep said about Walt Disney but it is opinion based on some facts. Waving the rebel flag or wearing Nazi paraphernalia would give people reasonable assumption that they are sympathizing with racists.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:57 PM

104 posts, read 82,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Some people support the American right of free speech, and others mostly liberal are so eager to give up all of our rights. Not the American way.
First, right up front, I am a liberal. I actually am very keenly in favor of free speech, love American freedoms, minored in American history, etc. At one time, I had no negative feelings about the Confederate Navy Jack (used at sea and now known as the "Confederate Flag") at all. My husband was a Civil War buff and we traveled to virtually every battlefield in the south. The problem is that The CNJ has been adopted by hate groups -- neo-nazis, skin-heads, etc. In my view, they desecrate this flag. IF they truly used it with respect it would fly over the hallowed ground where soldiers who lost their lives fighting for the South were buried. It does not. It is difficult to believe that the Confederate Navy Jack represents the southland. It seems to respect only some southern white folks.
Surely, neo-nazis and skin-heads, etc. should have freedom of speech. I would never take it from them. And I shall continue to study the true history of the south before, during, and after the war.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:00 PM

2,904 posts, read 3,480,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
The Confederate flag is a symbol of explicit racism, white supremacy, chattel slavery, and violent treason. Anyone who denies this is willfully ignorant or intellectually dishonest at this point.
The Confederate flag is a symbol of opposition to political correctness.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:02 PM

14,863 posts, read 8,146,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

I have no idea what you are talking about. No one on the "right" that I'm aware of wants to restrict your freedom of speech. No one on the political right thinks you should be able to call people on the political right "racists". We just disagree with you.

Gay-marriage is not about "freedom of speech". Marriage is an institution which has always been defined by the government as being between one man and one woman.

There have always been age restrictions, restrictions on marriage between close-family members, restrictions on the total number of partners(IE no polygamy), they even require you to take a blood test before you can get married.

No one believes anyone who wants to get married to anyone else, regardless of circumstances, should be allowed to get married.

I personally don't like the idea of the government being involved in marriage. If the government is involved in marriage, it necessarily has to create regulations for it, and those regulations will never make everyone happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies