Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 08:48 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,075,843 times

Advertisements

Uber Driver Robbed At Gunpoint Two Weeks After Company Disarmed Drivers

On Wednesday, an Uber driver in Queens was robbed by a man who allegedly got in his car, pointed a rifle at him, and demanded his money.
This incident took place just two weeks after Uber formally changed its gun policy by banning drivers from possessing firearms for self-defense. It comes less than a week since Uber made that change public.
According to the New York Daily News, the Uber driver stopped for up a 22-year-old man “on 67th Ave. and Burns St. in Rego Park just after midnight.” The two negotiated a price then the man got in the car, only to allegedly point a rifle at the driver and demand all his money.
The driver handed over $60 and the 22-year-old suspect jumped out of the car and fled.
The driver was not injured in the incident and Uber says they are investigating.

Quite Ironic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 08:59 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,972,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Regardless of postings, if I enter carrying concealed, buy a loaf of bread or see a movie or have a meal or arrive at my destination, etc, and my weapon is never displayed or brandished, and no one the wiser to or alarmed by its' presence, then what harm is done? What are these consequences of which you speak?
In your instance the harm is in the dismissal of the rights of others if posted. If you want others to respect your rights, IMO you have to also respect theirs.

Quote:
If by some chance it is discovered, the most the proprietor can do initially is to ask that I leave. If I refuse to do so, only then can it escalate.

Concealed means concealed.
Disrespect of the rights of others is disrespect.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:26 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,781,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Actually it's all quite simple. If it's posted with the proper signage, you don't go in carrying. If it's not posted, it is perfectly acceptable. I go into restaurants, and theaters all the time with my firearm. If you were seated next to me, you would never know. I have also taken cabs with my firearm. It is not posted on any cab I have ever seen. Never had an issue. In fact, I carried rifles in a cab and the cabbie couldn't have cared less.
The problem isn't with logical people like you or I who see that you shouldn't bring a gun to an airport, sporting event or another place with proper signage, it is with people like this...

Quote:
Regardless of postings, if I enter carrying concealed, buy a loaf of bread or see a movie or have a meal or arrive at my destination, etc, and my weapon is never displayed or brandished, and no one the wiser to or alarmed by its' presence, then what harm is done? What are these consequences of which you speak?

If by some chance it is discovered, the most the proprietor can do initially is to ask that I leave. If I refuse to do so, only then can it escalate.

Concealed means concealed.
What do with those that don't show it until it is too late, or just disregard it because of civil disobedience or lack of understanding.

To the Point that poster made, don't criminals stuff guns in their pants or shirt to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
I surmised that, I just wondered what would make Uber's employees that much different from old-school-style taxi ones. I know there have been safety concerns about their using mobile phone apps rather than the more traditional dispatcher-communication devices, but I'm hoping that someone can explain how Uber differs substantially from pay-as-you-go cab services.

I would also hope that such respondents would have a fair bit of experience actually being cab drivers and/or using their services, traditional or otherwise. E.G., do most posting on here even know how to hail or have ever hailed a cab in a variety of environments, or used the Uber app?
I am pretty sure Uber uses an online system similar to calling in a cab. Most places unless entirely metropolitan don't have historic hailing a cab anymore. Anytime I used a cab I've called except once and there was a line of cabs waiting for fares anyway.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:37 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,781,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post

On Wednesday, an Uber driver in Queens was robbed by a man who allegedly got in his car, pointed a rifle at him, and demanded his money.
This incident took place just two weeks after Uber formally changed its gun policy by banning drivers from possessing firearms for self-defense. It comes less than a week since Uber made that change public.
According to the New York Daily News, the Uber driver stopped for up a 22-year-old man “on 67th Ave. and Burns St. in Rego Park just after midnight.” The two negotiated a price then the man got in the car, only to allegedly point a rifle at the driver and demand all his money.
The driver handed over $60 and the 22-year-old suspect jumped out of the car and fled.
The driver was not injured in the incident and Uber says they are investigating.

Quite Ironic.
And next you'll tell me this didn't happen prior to the gun ban...
Uber driver robbed on Huff Rd. - FOX 10 News | fox10phoenix.com
Uber driver is stabbed in face, neck - LA Times
https://pando.com/2014/08/25/with-an...-sharing-apps/

Old 06-26-2015, 10:47 AM

5,645 posts, read 5,062,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
In your instance the harm is in the dismissal of the rights of others if posted. If you want others to respect your rights, IMO you have to also respect theirs.

Disrespect of the rights of others is disrespect.
You're way too wrapped up in feelings rather than actualities. Respect is earned, not given by default over imagined offenses or hurt feelings.

Rights of others can be respected in principle without going along with the nonsense involved. IOW, you're entitled to your opinion though I think it might be stupid. And that does not mean it applies to me, particularly if you're unaware of my disregard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
What do with those that don't show it until it is too late, or just disregard it because of civil disobedience or lack of understanding.

To the Point that poster made, don't criminals stuff guns in their pants or shirt to?
So how is my not carrying going to influence those who seek to do harm despite the laws against it?

You seem to imagine a world where the wolves discuss with the sheep on what the lunch menu will include.

Last edited by Workin_Hard; 06-26-2015 at 11:05 AM..

Old 06-26-2015, 10:47 AM

4,739 posts, read 4,420,879 times
Lyft has always banned guns. just bringing Uber in line with others.

Would allow a driver, if they see a weapon, to refuse service and report the account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
San Francisco based Uber announced new policy banning firearms both by driver and passengers. How they expect to enforce this is another issue.
More symbolism from the Left Coast.
I use Uber often, and this policy matters not to me.
Reminds me of a recent policy by a coffee shop chain!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...gKsPnsgJQLXDfg

Old 06-26-2015, 10:50 AM

4,739 posts, read 4,420,879 times
yeah, proves its a good policy. No one was hurt after all.

I don't see Uber being a target outside of dumbass. This is no taxi, its a "credit card" business using those tools. uber drivers don't accept cash. . .so robbing them is robbing for pocket chain.

Ironic that this robber is an idiot, that is all.

Quote:

Quite Ironic.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:53 AM

11,202 posts, read 8,247,940 times
Quote:

Quite Ironic.
It might be noted that BOTH were breaking the rules. The Uber driver was negotiating a rate, which means he was doing it off of the meter, which in turn means he was working for cash. Uber is supposed to be a cashless system (which would negate any incentive to try to rob drivers if they didn't carry cash).

Old 06-26-2015, 10:57 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,195,928 times
the enforcement will come from intinct. basically sizing up the potential passenger-- if you think he is going to harm you you dont pick him up. many assaults and robberies have been prevented by this common sense rule. stuff does not just "happen" we see it coming a mile off if our eyes are open.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:01 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,972,306 times
Quote:
You're way too wrapped up in feelings rather than actualities. Respect is earned, not given by default over imagined offenses or hurt feelings.
I do not need to earn diddly squat from you for you to respect my rights that trump yours. Property rights trump your right to carry a gun on my property. As I said, if you want to dismiss others rights you can't be surprised when others want to dismiss yours.

That's so freaking stupid. earned. Sheesh, it just is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies