Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 03:51 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The idea is to allow others to defend themselves. So you are saying that people who are armed can't prevent crime?
Chances of far greater of a criminal being armed, and prepared, without regard to others who might get into cross fire. Business and safety decision (same with offices, heck even your State Capitol likely doesn't allow people to carry guns).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 05:45 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
So your right to "own" a gun supersedes the right of private property owners to ban guns on their property?

It does not. You are trespassing and violating the law.

You have a right to carry a gun. Unfortunately. They conversely have a right to ban guns from their property.
I am not trespassing if it is a public business. (Unless there's a cake baking somewhere in the process, but that's another thread altogether.)

Property owners have a right to ban firearms. That banning is an internal policy and in carrying a weapon, the only violation on my part is a breaking of their in-house rule and the most they can do is ask me to leave. If they ask me to leave and I do not, then they may call authorities and request that I be arrested. (The authorities must first instruct me to leave the premises as well and if I refuse may arrest me.) Are you with me so far?

In reality, if a situation ever arose where I believed it necessary to unholster my weapon, violation of the property owners' policy (policy, not law) is probably going to be the least of my concerns.

Again, when carrying my gun has never seen the light of day. I go in, conduct my business as usual, and leave. No harm, no foul, no one the wiser, and everyone gets to go home and sleep well.

What's not to like?

The fools who open carry are the problem. While legal (at least in my state), it's never a good idea.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:55 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
If there were an free actual market in the taxi trade now would be a good opportunity for a start up that doesn't prohibit firearms.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:05 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Right. Just as saying putting locks on cockpit doors would stop someone from bringing down a plane.
Of course it does.

Quote:
Do you have a point?
I've already made my point. That your point holds no water and you have no proof.

Quote:
That if someone that wants to bring one down they will decide not to just becuase a pilot is armed?
They won't walk on board if they are outgunned. How could the 9/11 hijackers accomplish their goal if they blew the plane up before hitting the towers?

Quote:
Lol....that's the kind of thinking that allows something to happen.
Because you have multiple examples of this right? lol Keep trying.

Quote:
Arm pilots, I don't care. It's not going to stop someone intent on bringing one down though.
Of course it will. Show proof that someone has circumvented the system and brought down a plane in America using a missle or explosive. I'm still waiting

Quote:
Terrorists are no longer interested in taking one over, just in bringing one down. They have no desire to fly to Cuba.
Hijackers have never been interested in blowing up a plane, just in flying it to their destination. They have no desire to kill themselves. You've incorrectly made it about something it's not.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Chances of far greater of a criminal being armed, and prepared, without regard to others who might get into cross fire. Business and safety decision
And some businesses allow people to carry as well. Schools are now allowing teachers to carry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
(same with offices, heck even your State Capitol likely doesn't allow people to carry guns).
Alot of government buildings have armed security with metal detectors that screen people.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:52 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Of course it does.
Except when it doesn't.

Germanwings plane crash: Co-pilot acted deliberately - CNN.com

Quote:
I've already made my point. That your point holds no water and you have no proof.
Whatever.

Quote:
They won't walk on board if they are outgunned. How could the 9/11 hijackers accomplish their goal if they blew the plane up before hitting the towers?
Would it really have been better to have blown the planes up right over NYC and Boston? Would the message have been any less? They had no idea that the towers would fall, they just wanted to cause as much destruction as possible.

Quote:
Because you have multiple examples of this right? lol Keep trying.
Yes, I've noted them. We never considered box cutters to be a problem. We thought putting locks on doors would make us safe. The next thing will be the next thing we haven't considered. I'm still completely missing any point you may have.

Quote:
Of course it will. Show proof that someone has circumvented the system and brought down a plane in America using a missle or explosive. I'm still waiting
Pilots aren't armed. That there hasn't been anyone willing to bring a plane down isn't because pilots have been armed.

Quote:
Hijackers have never been interested in blowing up a plane, just in flying it to their destination. They have no desire to kill themselves. You've incorrectly made it about something it's not.
Arming pilots isn't going to stop terrorism.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
What does this have to do with the ability to defend yourself?

Quote:
Whatever.
Would it really have been better to have blown the planes up right over NYC and Boston? Would the message have been any less? They had no idea that the towers would fall, they just wanted to cause as much destruction as possible.

Yes, I've noted them. We never considered box cutters to be a problem. We thought putting locks on doors would make us safe. The next thing will be the next thing we haven't considered. I'm still completely missing any point you may have.
That's on you then. Allow people to defend themselves. How hard is that to understand?
You went right to terrorist.
Would it have been better if I said ships at sea should be armed to prevent the pirates from taking those ships?

Quote:
Pilots aren't armed. That there hasn't been anyone willing to bring a plane down isn't because pilots have been armed.
The ability to defend oneself is lost.

Quote:
Arming pilots isn't going to stop terrorism.
Who says it would? Again, that's on you. You were the one who went right there, not me. You jumped immediately to terrorist.

You can't stop terrorism unless policy changes. You can't kill all the terrorists but you can kill the reason they want to be terrorists.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:12 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
What does this have to do with the ability to defend yourself?
I'm not sure how many times I have to point this out. Arm pilots for all I care. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?

Quote:
That's on you then. Allow people to defend themselves. How hard is that to understand?
You went right to terrorist.
Would it have been better if I said ships at sea should be armed to prevent the pirates from taking those ships?
You are arguing for some unknown reason.

Quote:
The ability to defend oneself is lost.
Arm them, I do not care.

Quote:
Who says it would? Again, that's on you. You were the one who went right there, not me. You jumped immediately to terrorist.

You can't stop terrorism unless policy changes. You can't kill all the terrorists but you can kill the reason they want to be terrorists.
So again, what the hell are you arguing?

Old 06-21-2015, 07:13 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Well, I guess they better inform the carjackers of that...

4 men carjack Uber driver at gunpoint | New York Post

There are dozens of news articles about Uber drivers getting car jacked/robbed at gun point by riders. I guess the gun ban will stop all of that!

Old 06-21-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure how many times I have to point this out. Arm pilots for all I care. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?

You are arguing for some unknown reason.

Arm them, I do not care.

So again, what the hell are you arguing?
sigh ... you made it about terrorism. It's not. The thread, and my posts, are about having the ability to defend oneself. How many times do I have to point that out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies