Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 05:49 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
This guy was no more mentally ill than the Boston Bombers. Why does every white terrorist get a pass with the mental illness excuse?
To be fair, this guy was certainly suffering from depression, and probably has Asperger's syndrome(super introvert). The Boston Bombers were only suffering from "I hate American imperialism" disorder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 06:16 AM

1,204 posts, read 873,061 times
Redshadowz-----I very much agree with your posting in #10. We can easily change your last paragraph from Dylan Roof to any other troubled young adult, whether in the burbs or in the hood.

Regardless to cause, we do need to get our collective heads out of the sand.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:58 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The only mental illness he suffered from, was depression. And the prescriptions they give you for mental illness will often just make things worse.

He was using SSRI's. You know the drugs where they say "Treats depression, but the side effect is Suicide".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Select...take_inhibitor

SSRI's basically make you kind of a zombie, you aren't sad, but you aren't happy either. They "blunt" your emotions, making you basically no longer "feel". In essence, they turn you into a sociopath.

Will Antidepressants Zap Your Good Emotions? - Depression Center - Everyday Health

SSRI-Induced Indifference

I think the decision he made was "rational", in the sense that I am sure his decision in his mind was rationally-founded. But, had he not been taking SSRI's, it is likely that he wouldn't have acted in the way he did.

He went into a church, and claims the people there were "very nice to him", but he walked around and killed them, one-by-one in cold-blood, feeling nothing. It is hard to imagine someone being able to do that unless they had no emotions whatsoever. Thus, either he is a genuine sociopath, or he became one with the SSRI's.

Regardless, he wouldn't be classified by the state as mentally ill, and he will be deemed fit to stand trial.
SSRIs ?
I have not come across anything that Roof was prescribed any medications.

Did I miss something?

Old 06-22-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Whether you are right or wrong, Reagan was last in office in 1989, 26 years ago. In my (blue) state mental health care has always been underfunded. Sports stadiums, public art, and transit have always been a higher priority for liberals. It has taken relentless litigation to get funding for caring for the mentally ill, and even after recent victories, I doubt that anything beyond lip service will ensue.
Ban on warehousing mentally ill begins | The Seattle Times

We will most assuredly get that billion dollar NBA/NHL stadium though. That is our track record.
It's a state issue.

Mental institutions were costly to operate and tended to be huge political liabilities. States, regardless of political leanings, closed their institutions. Today, state prisons tend to serve the same purpose that mental institutions used to do.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
No... why is it everytime a white kid kills a bunch of people we blame drugs or mental illness? Some people are sick and evil and do evil things.

His dad gave him a gun for his birthday after he was arrested for drug possession and tresspassing.

Why arent we talking about his parents and the way he was raised?
Subsequent reports indicate dad gave him money for his birthday and the shooter bought his own gun. It's unknown how he cleared the background check.

It is not known if his parents were aware of his recent arrests.

At what age do we stop blaming parents?

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 06-22-2015 at 07:35 AM..

Old 06-22-2015, 07:15 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
We know this kid had black friends and was heavily into alcohol and drugs. But what if any meds were on? Just how recent was his conversion to white supremacy and what if any other groups did profess to hate?
There are millions of messed up kids like Dylan Roof of all races and ethnicities. Drug addled minds, products of a failing education system , a collapsing dysfunctional society and now a family structure that is also failing and under criticism if not attack. The last pillar of a stable society, next to the family, is religion and that was interestingly where he carried out his attack.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:16 AM

17,426 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It's a state issue.

Mental institutions were costly to operate and tended to be huge political liabilities. States, regardless of political leanings, closed their institutions. Today, state prisons tend to serve the same purpose that mental institutions used to do.
And their woefully ill prepared to do so.

Deinstitutionalization wasn't necessarily a good thing. There is a definite need in our society for long term or lifetime institutional care ... and for the most part, it doesn't exist. Or at least in the scope needed.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
In New York and other states it is.

Next.

Look what's happening with the V.A. health system and tell me if you still want universal health care.

Next.

I started the thread. I am hardly a conservative. Why would you consider steering the discussion to mental health to be "conservative." I just don't like ineffectual remedies. Even if they feel good.
Universal healthcare does not mean all or most hospitals are owned/ operated by the state.
No two countries do universal healthcare the same way.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:19 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post

It's impossible to know what Roof was on and what impact it had on his mindset. People of sound mind do not do things like this.

Do people of sound mind shoot into a block party or murder a spouse to avoid paying child support.

Roof will be examined by a passel of shrinks who'll diagnose him with multiple mental illnesses. However ...

To the best of my knowledge so far, he's not someone who's been in and out of mental institutions, or been a known threat to harm himself or others in the past. Roof's action isn't something that can be pushed off into 'society' failing to deal with mental health issues.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
To be fair, this guy was certainly suffering from depression, and probably has Asperger's syndrome(super introvert). The Boston Bombers were only suffering from "I hate American imperialism" disorder.
This mass murderer " suffered" from " I hate black people imperialism" disorder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies