Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 03:23 PM

39,808 posts, read 26,394,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
So, because laws don't prevent crimes, let's get rid of the laws!!! Yeah! That works!

If that works for guns, then, well, since the law making murder illegal didn't prevent Roof from massacring 9 people, let's make murder legal, and all this is moot!!!
Please explain just why you believe that someone that will break the laws against murder will stop and think "Well, I better not touch that gun thingie-that would be illegal". Are you really that incapable of rational thought?

The very people that are willing to break other laws are the very ones that are unaffected by gun laws. While law abiding people (those would be the victims of criminals) are the only ones impacted. Why are you so determined to make life safer for murderers and other violent criminals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 03:27 PM

271 posts, read 383,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Also, after you have completed the above, some states have waiting periods. Mostly 3 days.
That's the law I know 3 to 5 days cooling off period.
Exceptions are concealed carry permit holders, they can walk out with the firearm after paperwork and I believe if someone is selling a gun they already have in their possession to the dealer for another one.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:29 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,603,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticket To Paradise View Post
It's 100% legal for a parent or legal guardian to buy a firearm and give it to their children as a gift.

That's hardly the same as Jr. walking in and buying it him or herself.
'LEGAL' and 'MORALLY SENSIBLE' are sometimes worlds apart... like in this example.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:04 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,603,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticket To Paradise View Post
It's only legal to give your kid a gun if they are clean. If you knowingly give your kid a gun who has a record, the parent has now broken the law.
I'm betting that had no one given this psycho a gun, he still would have obtained one. Be it by theft, or having someone else buy it for him, his 'mission' was to have a weapon and use it as he did...

Laws only affect those that wish to obey them... period.
If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

If it were legal for members of that church's congregation to carry a weapon, then maybe one of them could have stopped this madman from these senseless murders.

Not to toss God in with guns but... as a Christian, I'm overtaken by seeing how compassionate the victim's families are to Roof... I don't know, despite my attempts to follow Christ, if I could do as they have done. As I'm sure God shed tears for the murders of these 9, I'm sure He put an extra crown aside for the murdered family members for their display of true forgiveness...

Old 06-22-2015, 05:53 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,078,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Yeah, well some states are downright anti-American.
Waiting isn't a worry of mine. My CCW allows my to bypass that.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:09 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,882,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Not if you don't have a criminal record. It's a little time consuming, is all. You have to fill out a long form (4473) and wait while the gunshop confirms your info with the FBI and gives you an OK to purchase.
Yep, and then in my state, Arizona, you put the gun in your pocket and walk out the store.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:12 AM

2,394 posts, read 3,000,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I'm sure this gun crazy had to go through the hoops.
Do you even read the news?

He purchased it new through a Federally licenses dealer and passed a background check before being allowed to buy the gun.

So yes, he went through the hoops.

What's your recommended solution?

Old 06-23-2015, 07:13 AM

2,394 posts, read 3,000,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I read that his Uncle gave the gun to him for a present.
Read again.

He was given the money to purchase the gun. He bought the gun himself after having passed a background check.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:34 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,765,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You realize we're talking about this country as a whole, right? Oh, and another thing, wouldn't it make sense that urban areas what with their larger concentrated populations, would have a higher rate of gun crime?
Yes I'm aware. It seems like some posters are using conjecture to paint the US as a dangerous place when most of the danger only occurs in specific environments of the country. For instance, you could take Chicago out of Illinois and the state's crime rate would go down and compete with Canada as a whole or some of it's provinces.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:45 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,485,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Well, the US Supreme Court doesn't think so, but then those nine jurists are hardly as "expert" as anonymous C-D posters.

Politically appointed men & women in robes???

You tell me what SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED means, in any contract(legal document)

It has never ever meant "maybe", or "not recommended".

Remember those 9 in robes are politically appointed. History tells us all that, when FDR wanted to stack the deck to over run the US Constitution.

It is so hard to read the words, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED, and try to change the meaning of those very words.
It would be an infringement of the very thing that shall not be infringed. The right of the people. Not the power of the government.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GNu7ldL1LM

But then comes... Are you a person(an individual with liberties), or a citizen( a subject of the state)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies