Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 03:11 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Do lower class whites refer to themselves as a term that others can't say? Redneck maybe? But that's a taboo word. If lower class whites did have a negative term and were proportionally responsible for as many bad things...I'd say they should stop referring to themselves as that negative term.
I see others have defended my comment amply. I'll just add. (I love Wikipedia.)

You want to discuss proportionality?

Race and socioeconomic status[edit]

While there is a correlation between blacks and Hispanics and crime, the data implies a stronger tie between poverty and crime than crime and any racial group, when gender is taken into consideration.[SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]45[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE] The direct correlation between crime and class, when factoring for race alone, is relatively weak. When gender, and familial history are factored, class correlates more strongly with crime than race or ethnicity.[SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]46[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE][SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]47[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE] Studies indicate that areas with low socioeconomic status may have the greatest correlation of crime with young and adult males, regardless of racial composition, though its effect on females is negligible.[SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]46[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE][SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]47[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE]

Old 06-24-2015, 03:17 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Hence why I used the word proportionally. No one said whites don't "cut up" - they just aren't doing it at no where near the same rate.

1 In 3 Black Males Will Go To Prison In Their Lifetime

Agreed!
You're really using the number of blacks in prison as your defense? Time and again studies have shown the races AREN'T treated the same by courts... This has a huge impact on proportionality. Once again, I love Wikipedia(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_a...es#Prison_data):

A 2011 study which examined the racial disparities in violent crime and incarceration from 1980 and 2008 found little difference for black share of violent offending. Racial imbalances between arrest rates and sentencing have caused some to question the disparities. The authors argued that the prior studies had been confounded by not separating Hispanics from Whites.[SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]26[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE] Another recent study in 2012 raises a different concern, showing that Hispanics and blacks receive considerably longer sentences for the same or lesser offenses on average than white offenders with equal or greater criminal records.[SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]27[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE][SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]28[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE] Another recent study in 2012 raises a different concern, showing that Hispanics and blacks receive considerably longer sentences for the same or lesser offenses on average than white offenders with equal or greater criminal records.[SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]27[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE][SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]28[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE] A 2012 University of Michigan Law School study found that African Americans are given longer federal sentences even when factoring prior criminal records, and that African American jail sentences tend to be roughly 10% longer than white jail sentences for the same crimes.[SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]29[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE]

Old 06-24-2015, 04:04 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
You're really using the number of blacks in prison as your defense? Time and again studies have shown the races AREN'T treated the same by courts... This has a huge impact on proportionality. Once again, I love Wikipedia(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_a...es#Prison_data):

A 2011 study which examined the racial disparities in violent crime and incarceration from 1980 and 2008 found little difference for black share of violent offending. Racial imbalances between arrest rates and sentencing have caused some to question the disparities. The authors argued that the prior studies had been confounded by not separating Hispanics from Whites.[SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]26[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE] Another recent study in 2012 raises a different concern, showing that Hispanics and blacks receive considerably longer sentences for the same or lesser offenses on average than white offenders with equal or greater criminal records.[SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]27[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE][SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]28[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE] Another recent study in 2012 raises a different concern, showing that Hispanics and blacks receive considerably longer sentences for the same or lesser offenses on average than white offenders with equal or greater criminal records.[SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]27[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE][SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]28[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE] A 2012 University of Michigan Law School study found that African Americans are given longer federal sentences even when factoring prior criminal records, and that African American jail sentences tend to be roughly 10% longer than white jail sentences for the same crimes.[SIZE=2][[/SIZE][SIZE=2]29[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE]
It's really hard to believe 1 in 3 blacks go to prison vs 1 in 17 whites all because of the judicial system. Receiving less lengthy sentences doesn't mean whites don't go to prison.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:09 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
Don't quote me. Ever. Your post made my brain hurt. Block me please.
The acceptance and perpetuation of double-standards - especially double-standards based upon race and/or ethnicity - is what should cause your brain to hurt.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
In Obama's case......

"I had the right to remain silent... but I didn't have the ability." - Ron White

Best post of the entire thread!

Old 06-24-2015, 08:14 PM

Why is it OK for the President of the United States to use a racial slur when speaking publicly?

Do we not hold our President to any standards of decorum anymore?

Old 06-24-2015, 08:46 PM

716 posts, read 1,237,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
some Blacks use the word "n igga" which is NOT the same as n igger. It's a way of taking it back, i.e. if you own the word you take the power out of it. use of an ‘a’ on the end of the expression marks a distinct contrast with the ‘er’ ending, the former denoting endearment or camaraderie and the latter racism. But that's not universal among all blacks and some find it offensive when used in any context.

My Dad used to invite his friends from work to the house. They were almost all 1st or 2nd generation immigrants. They'd get drunk and call each other d ago, mick, frog, etc. These were big blue collar brawlers who would probably take out someone walking down the street who called them one of those names, but the power was stripped from the word when used around friends.
blacks call whites "n gga" all the time too lets not overlook that one. They call every person and thing that word.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:10 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Who cares. Obama can say whatever he wants. It's a free country and he earned the right to go Bulworth when he won reelection. Besides, he has spent the last 6 years dividing us - this is hardly the worst thing he has done as far as race is concerned.

The real problem is that we have become a society of emotional weaklings given how flustered significant portions of the population become in response to the use of individual words. If someone lets a word bother them, then the person using the word has beaten them.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:15 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
blacks call whites "n gga" all the time too lets not overlook that one. They call every person and thing that word.
all the time huh? you have evidence of this, or maybe you read it on the internet..or maybe you watch youtube videos? Generalizing on what 'black people' or any people do or say makes one look quite foolish

Old 06-24-2015, 09:46 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
The power one word, ONE WORD has over a group of people both black and white?
Here we have this one word, that nobody (but black rappers/singers) are supposed to use any time or any where as it's soooo offensive.

Ok, that's fine if it's that bad that just the mere utterance makes people swoon and get the vapors then we'll just go with removing it from the lexicon.

BUT, if it is in fact (as we're led to believe) that bad, that offensive then why is our dear leader loudly yelling it from his mountain top (tv/radio broadcasting)?

Man, I bet there were a whole bunch of fainting people and those that had to take a medicinal drink or take some "salts" to revive themselves (picture women fanning themselves with the back of one hand to their forehead).
I agree with you and feel the same as a black guy which is why I always refused to give that word any power. I am more concerned with my bank account and credit score instead of some N-word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies