Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 11:36 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,754,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Look, the Confederate flag(and really, there were a lot of Confederate flags, the battle flag wasn't adopted until later in the war), is not on its own racist. The Southern soldiers who actually fought in the Civil War were not fighting for slavery. The actual people who fought in the Civil War were fighting for independence. The south even had originally thought about calling itself "Washington"(after George Washington), because they believed they were carrying on the spirit of the revolution.

In fact, up until AFTER Lincoln issued his Emancipation Proclamation, Lincoln had no intention whatsoever of abolishing slavery. If you read the Emancipation Proclamation, you'll realize Lincoln said clearly that slavery would continue in the "Border States", and that slavery would only be abolished in those Southern states, if the Southern states didn't rejoin the Union by the end of the year(not that he had the power to issue the proclamation anyway, and was used as a political tool to prevent European intervention).

Featured Document: The Emancipation Proclamation

The vast vast vast majority of the people who fought under that flag, were not even slave-owners, and to denigrate the history of the Civil War by making it a war over slavery, is to denigrate the very men who fought in that war.

Just because some racists picked up a flag and made it a symbol of racism, doesn't make it so. And just because some people associate the flag with racism, doesn't make it so. There are plenty of black people who fly the confederate flag just as proudly as any white man. Because they know its real history.

Get a life.
Put your brain to use. Swastika is a Hindu religious symbol, but Nazis and Neo-Nazis (the same ones who really love the confederate flag as well) are the ones that wave it with a purpose.

How often do you?

Old 06-22-2015, 11:37 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,353,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You fly the confederate flag because you want to **** people off and thumb your nose at them. It's a sign of stunted mental age. Grow up.
You made that up, huh. Havent seen anybody thumbing their nose at anybody

Old 06-22-2015, 11:38 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,486,759 times
Please educate yourself on Confederacy Flags.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag...tes_of_America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
The Confederate flag WAS the flag of a territory within the United States. It was rendered irrelevant the day the South surrendered (after getting their sorry asses badly beaten). Ever since, it is completely inappropriate and wrong to fly this flag from any government office or municipality.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:45 AM

38,619 posts, read 26,282,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
This is complete BS. Every flag is symbolic, especially a battle flag.

The Confederate battle flag that is so venerated now was only one of a hundred different designs, but it is a particularly striking flag, one that is entirely different than our national colors.

You can help how you feel about anything and everything. You do it all the time, as do I and everyone else.

Often, by dropping a symbol that was once venerated is enough to create a permanent change of feelings. That's why former neo-Nazis who are intent on leaving their past behind will have a swastika tattoo removed, or why a picture of a former spouse is tossed in the trash.

Flags are not pieces of common cloth. Nor are they advertisements. Any flag is potently a visceral and ancient symbol of a person or a nation's beliefs, territory, culture, and deepest feelings, good and bad.

That's why Dylann Storm Roof took a picture of himself drooling spit on American flag while stepping on it with one foot. That was no bed sheet he was spitting on- it was our National Emblem. The picture was full to the brim of symbolic rage.

I've never seen a pissed off redneck yet who flew a Happy Face flag in front of his house.

If the Confederate flag meant nothing to you at all, why did you protest its potential disappearance so much?

I am a Constitutionalist, and as such I must oppose thought police.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:45 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,549,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
There is no amount of "bringing up" race relations and racism that will do more harm to moving into a post-racial America than flying the banner of the most aggressively racist event in American history.

There is no letting the past die when large segments of America openly rally behind a symbol of a time of Black dehumanization.

All this talk about Obama or any public figure bringing up the historic mistreatment of Black Americans when when people, places, and symbols who's only relevance is related to the historic mistreatment of Black Americans get celebrated.

If America is really concerned about the President "fanning" racial animosity, then how about those same voices challenge who openly accepted the Confederate flag is in certain political circles.
How many murders did Chicago not having a confederate flag stop this past or any weekend. Swatting at a knat and swallowing a camel. Your racist attitude is bright and clear.

Now let's look at this question in another way which could be considered racist. How many fewer murders would Chicago have each weekend if Chicago had fewer blacks? Do you have an answer? Clean up your own state before you start pointing a finger at other places. Looks to me like you have a lot of room for improvement. And while we are at it; doesn't Chicago have laws against having guns? How has that stopped the killing?

http://www.examiner.com/article/chic...ys-had-murders

We are so used to seeing murder statistics about Detroit, Baltimore, and Chicago that the only thing new about 9 murders was that it was in the South and committed by a white person.

I know! All of the murders in Chicago were gun violence and the South Carolina murders were caused by a flag. And Ben Ghazi was caused by a film the people doing the killings had never seen.

But I see from the computer news you got rid of your flag. Congratulations! You've accomplished nothing and you never will. The only person one can change is themselves and you and so many black people do not realize they need to change and become accountable for themselves.

Last edited by NCN; 06-22-2015 at 12:52 PM..

Old 06-22-2015, 11:46 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,752,946 times
Yes, take it down

Maybe, instead of cornering Republican candidates, the media can ask the Democrat who put the dang thing up there, to apologize for doing so. That can be part of a ceremony to take it down, in fact.

Don't worry Ernest Hollings--that'll never happen.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:51 AM

13,507 posts, read 16,984,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
You made that up, huh. Havent seen anybody thumbing their nose at anybody

It's a rhetorical device genius.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:53 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,754,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I am a Constitutionalist, and as such I must oppose thought police.
LOL. I take it: Not US Constitutionalist.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:12 PM

872 posts, read 824,914 times
It really irks me that people will go out of their way to make issues out of non issues.

If your biggest concern at the end of the day is the Confederate Flag.....then you have no issues.

It's not black against white......it's person against person. It's the hatred and anger that people have for one another.

It's the mind set of I am better then you.
It's the mind set that I drive a 80k vehicle, I am better then you.
It's the mind set that I live in a million dollar home, I am better then you.

It should not matter what Color, Race, Sex, Religion, Age or how much money....
It does only because you and I make it matter. YOU and I......

It's not only the White Person's fault. It's not only the Black Person's fault......it's both.

A Flag is not going to make a difference......a word is not going to make a difference.

You and I -will make a difference.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:15 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,426,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
There is no amount of "bringing up" race relations and racism that will do more harm to moving into a post-racial America than flying the banner of the most aggressively racist event in American history.

There is no letting the past die when large segments of America openly rally behind a symbol of a time of Black dehumanization.

All this talk about Obama or any public figure bringing up the historic mistreatment of Black Americans when when people, places, and symbols who's only relevance is related to the historic mistreatment of Black Americans get celebrated.

If America is really concerned about the President "fanning" racial animosity, then how about those same voices challenge who openly accepted the Confederate flag is in certain political circles.
Lmfao its a flag, a piece of cloth... yeah we have for sure moved past race, before people were protesting about forced segregation between blacks and whites, now we are whining about a piece of fabric
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies