Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 12:06 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,587,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
There is no amount of "bringing up" race relations and racism that will do more harm to moving into a post-racial America than flying the banner of the most aggressively racist event in American history.

There is no letting the past die when large segments of America openly rally behind a symbol of a time of Black dehumanization.

All this talk about Obama or any public figure bringing up the historic mistreatment of Black Americans when when people, places, and symbols who's only relevance is related to the historic mistreatment of Black Americans get celebrated.

If America is really concerned about the President "fanning" racial animosity, then how about those same voices challenge who openly accepted the Confederate flag is in certain political circles.
What about the american flag?
For many people the flag is a symbol of subjugation, repression, oppression, mass genocide, slavery, imperialism and racism.

Should we ban the american flag?

Old 06-24-2015, 12:13 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
What about the american flag?
For many people the flag is a symbol of subjugation, repression, oppression, mass genocide, slavery, imperialism and racism.

Should we ban the american flag?
The very American flag that abolished slavery from the flag that supported it with Stars & Bars. Who even thinks that way?

Old 06-24-2015, 01:14 AM

27,138 posts, read 15,313,785 times

Old 06-24-2015, 02:21 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
It may be just a piece of fabric, but what it symbolizes is far more important.

You think it's okay for us to start waving the Nazi flag over some government buildings? Or should we hoist the Japanese Flag over Pearl Harbor? Or maybe the Soviet Flag should fly at our buildings?

The Confederate flag represents a 150 year old defeated nation who tried to defy the United States and lost. That flag belongs in a museum, I can care less if some trailer park hillbillies want to fly it from their front yard, but it doesn't belong anywhere else.
You don't live in those states so why should you have the right to determine how they celebrate their heritage?

Old 06-24-2015, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Five myths about why the South seceded - The Washington Post

Get back to me after reading up on some history.

Lincoln didn't want the country to fall apart, it's been known that he wasn't exactly "anti-slavery", but seeing what he would have to become in order to defeat the south he changed his tune.
He was anti slavery personally but realized he did not have the political capital to end it until it was evident that the war might be won.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:29 AM

Quote:
It was the battle flag of people who betrayed their own country and fought against the United States of America to preserve a way of life that kept "black" humans as property instead of being treated as equal human beings, if you don't see racism inside the flag of that failed and sadistic country then you're blind.
Sort of how our flag represented betraying our own Mother Country? If you don't see racism inside the flag of that successful and sadistic country than your blind. The U.S. flag has not exactly been a symbol for all things pure through it's history you know.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sorry, if I want to learn history I turn to history books and preserved originals.
Not some MSM story.

Lincoln had one concern..to preserve the union.
Correct and he would have gone to any length to do so.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:08 AM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Correct and he would have gone to any length to do so.
Seems like he would have been better off not freeing the slaves after the end of the war since preserving the union was his focus according to some.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:29 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Oh no! What are the self respecting rednecks going to do now?

NASCAR joins race to disavow Confederate flag | TheHill

Old 06-24-2015, 06:08 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Privera0927 View Post
I live next door to a racist white couple with a foul mouth. From inside their house tell yell racial slur at me and anyone who visit me. They don't work they live off welfare use drugs but constantly call us ****, ******s, and crackheads. Mind you we work ,don't use drugs.

I have complained to cops and all they can tell me is to be the nicer one. Four years being harassed, cursed at and threaten by this old, miserable, broke ass white couple. I have installed a fence in the yard, put up a wall in front porch separating property so I won't have to see the miserable faces, installed cameras all around my house, hired an attorney to send them a letter stating that if they continue harassing me I will take them to court still cops can't do nothing. Recently, they have taken to using 911 to make bogus call reporting fighting at my house I wonder what must happen before they take this seriously. Funny thing is that she makes her 300 pound ass husband to curse me out like it's my fault that they have nothing. Go to work like the rest of us and stop waiting for those food stamps. If someone can help me with this problem please respond. I can't believe these racist ass people still exist.

It sucks when you have s****y neighbors! Sounds like that dude needs knocked on his a**! However; given the circumstances, and the fact that he sounds like a real tool, I'd let him make the first move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies