Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 04:42 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
People have a hard time dealing with the realities of human nature.

Hatred, spite and malice are always going to be part of us and all the happy talk in the world will not change this sad fact.

But that makes many very uncomfortable and they wonder "can't we all just get along?" as if all that is needed is to sit down and talk things out in a spirit of respect.

But the truth is, we cannot all get along. We have never all gotten along, we will never all get along. Back to Cain and Abel.
A lot of truth there. But it is possible we can negotiate comprimizes to recuce the risk ot harming each other.

Perhaps often we have to come to the agreement of "I fish on my side of the lake. You fish on your side of the lake. No one fishes in the middle."

But we can not do that until we have some level of mutual communication.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:49 PM

8,234 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Then why are you having a conversation about it?
I think he's merely having a conversation about having a conversation about it.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:53 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
The small town that I live in is 50% black and 45% white. The bigger city that everyone here works and plays in is 52% black and 43% white.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremont,_North_Carolina
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldsboro,_North_Carolina

I honestly thought that most of the country was about half and half -- with other races mixed in, of course -- until recently. I've lived in this area my entire life. I've been friends with, gone to school with, worked with and otherwise been around black people ever since I was a small child.

I never remember my family or anyone else's family acting "racist." Maybe people had their own views that they kept in their heads. Every now and then, I'd hear or see something that shocked me, but it hasn't been very often. I haven't heard complaints from my black friends about being mistreated because of race, either. Even with all of this stuff that I read about online and that I see on the news, this isn't a conversation that goes on among my multi-racial friends very often. As I mentioned in another post, I lived in a primarily poor black neighborhood twice in my life. Everything was fine...the music and culture were a little different, yes, but everything was fine. I did get robbed a few times -- both personally, and two car break-ins -- but I would imagine similar things would have taken place in a poor white neighborhood.

Yet, there are always these rich white liberals who want to call ME a racist. They don't live in states where there is such a great mix of diverse people. They haven't lived in a neighborhood in which THEY were the racial minority. They haven't gone to school with pretty much half white people and half black people. So who are they to tell me that I am racist? Who are they to tell ME what offends black people, or what black people are like, or whatever?

Newsflash -- the black people here are just like the white people here. Some are rich. Some are poor. A lot are in-between. Some work hard, some don't hit a lick their whole lives. Some live off of food stamps and welfare, some have never used government assistance. Some get good grades and go to college, some don't.

None care that I have conservative views. They might not agree with me, but they don't call me a bigot because I have different beliefs than they do. I've never been called a racist. I've never been told that I offended anyone -- but of course, online, I have offended so many...usually white...people. I don't feel like I have to prove 24/7 that I'm not racist. Everyone, for the most part, gets along.

I wish that those who know so much about this would come live in the south for a little while to see what it's really like to live, work and play around black people 24/7. Maybe then they could learn a little something and could also see that not all white people are like Dylann Roof. Sure, there are some jerks, but it shouldn't be thought that that is the norm.
No doubt. And that's the difference: you and I base our thoughts on what we've experienced in real life, most of these people base theirs on what they saw on tv, if not on things that they just make up.
They never see any black people being mistreated by whites with their own two eyes, but some talking head on tv says "This country is so racist towards black people! There's so much racial strife in this country!," and they just accept it as the gospel.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:36 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
All people are biased and prejucided against thost that are different.

The solution is for all of us to recognize and acknowledge we are prejudiced. Not a single one of us can change the other guy, we each can only change our self.

The first step is to enter into discussions with others and evaluate our own prejudices we have against them Learn our prejudices and more important learn to control them so they do not sway our judgement.

We do not need to learn to sit around the campfire singing Kumbaya with people of different races, we need to learn how to speak with all people and keep our biased emotions in check. We do that by coming to the realization we are prejudice creatures and it is a fault we must control. We can not change "THEM" we can and must change "ME"

Can someone get this guy (girl?) a medal please?

Old 06-23-2015, 10:52 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
No doubt. And that's the difference: you and I base our thoughts on what we've experienced in real life, most of these people base theirs on what they saw on tv, if not on things that they just make up.
They never see any black people being mistreated by whites with their own two eyes, but some talking head on tv says "This country is so racist towards black people! There's so much racial strife in this country!," and they just accept it as the gospel.
Of course, there is no response, because there is no such thing as black and white people living, working and playing together in peace! It simply wouldn't fit the liberal agenda.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:01 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armendmo View Post
Every time that we see blatant racism such as we saw in Charleston the talking heads keep repeating that we need to have honest conversations about racism. We can talk about it until we're blue in the face and we won't be able to convince some people to stop thinking the way they do. I don't know what the solution to racism is but I don't think "conversations" are going to help.
Liberals tend to value what feels good, not what actually accomplishes anything. Thus the desire to have a "conversation."

Old 06-23-2015, 11:20 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Oh they will talk about it to each other. But these days, a White person saying anything about a racial issue has to walk on eggshells lest Blacks go into hysterical fits of false outrage. Rather than do this, they avoid the issue.
Kind of like a bad Marriage.
The number one problem in bad marriages is poor Communication

Old 06-23-2015, 11:24 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
That is not true at all. Racists come from ALL types of people. Saying it is one sided does not make it true. Just for the heck of it please say which group of people you think it comes from.
white conservatives

Old 06-24-2015, 12:20 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times
Black people don't even have a voice.

The only people that are allowed to speak for us are President Obama and Al Sharpton.

Obama stays silent and Al Sharpton continues to be the clown that he is......

Racism exists today because most cultural groups have very little if any interaction with those outside of their own race. The majority of people don't even have one black person that they regularly associate with outside of work. Most get all the information they need about blacks from the media and wave of negative news blasted everyday. People fear what they don't know.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:30 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
It is liberals who are always saying that we should have a "conversation" about race.

What that means is that they do all the talking and everyone else does all the listening.

And then everyone magically falls in line and does what the liberals want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies